For those of you that have built your own home

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
what were some of the most helpful books you bought
do you have a break down of costs?
if not, could you tell me relatively what part was the most expensive then the next expensive and so on
and the square footage of your house

and any more information you might have...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: TheSiege
Originally posted by: DLeRium
4500 sq ft house.
$600k mortgage to pay =(

no other info?

Judging by the fact that he's in college, I think he'll have to ask mommy and daddy tomorrow morning.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
I've helped build a few homes, ranging from your standard stick built to your strawbale load bearing home.

I'll be building my new home as a straw bale/post and beam.

I sure as hell wouldn't buy a wonder bread stick build home.

Your costs are varied and you've not made clear what you will subcontract.

Rogo

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
I've helped build a few homes, ranging from your standard stick built to your strawbale load bearing home.

Rogo

Wonder bread? :confused:

Do you mean cookie cutter?

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001

Rogo

Indeed, SB is the way to go. Mine isn't, but it's close, at R45 in the walls, R65 in the roof.

As a reference, normal homes have R13-R18 (higher is better). Straw Bales have R55 (iirc). We heat our home for ~$70 a winter, in the central UT winters (wood/coal is our primary source of heat).

We didn't build this, but the person who did kept good records, and the most expensive thing was the concrete. Footers+1' thick solid concrete floor (with spanish tile on top of that) x 1200 SF is a LOT of mud, and mud has gone up an insane amount.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004

Rogo

um i didnt ask how much it would cost to build my house, i asked how much it cost to build yours

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
Originally posted by: nweaver

Rogo

Indeed, SB is the way to go. Mine isn't, but it's close, at R45 in the walls, R65 in the roof.

As a reference, normal homes have R13-R18 (higher is better). Straw Bales have R55 (iirc). We heat our home for ~$70 a winter, in the central UT winters (wood/coal is our primary source of heat).

We didn't build this, but the person who did kept good records, and the most expensive thing was the concrete. Footers+1' thick solid concrete floor (with spanish tile on top of that) x 1200 SF is a LOT of mud, and mud has gone up an insane amount.

nice concrete is the one of the things i can get at cost, my uncle does concrete

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I saw a show on this the other day and they used a steel girder frame with the hay bales. They claimed it is cheaper and stronger. This might be because it was a 2 story home. I would think that there would be some load limits that would prohibit too tall of a straw bale structure. I guess that is why they use a framing structure.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
nweaver

I'll be pouring the slab-it's concrete with 3 400 gallon horizonal water tanks built into the 1st floor. My friend is a foundation expert :)

You seem to have acquired a home that's effiecent without the work. I'm glad that you recognize the positive attributes of such a home, most people do not.

I'm planning on a metal roof tacked down to 8x2s on cj with two layers of 3" hd foam 4/8s.

It's nice to see someone else (besides BD and Sampson) that understands how we should live.

Rogo

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What do you mean by building your own home?

Are you acting as the general contractor, financing and paying the individual companies that build your home the different pieces?

If not and you're paying another GC to do it, then keep on their butt every single day and make sure you have a rock solid contract.

I went with a GC and while he accomodated what I wanted there were places that were shotty/substandard work. And I didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
more then likely building it from the ground up and sub contracting very little work. framing concrete plumbing and electrical will all be done by my uncle and I. And i am looking into doing the HVAC also

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
nweaver

I'll be pouring the slab-it's concrete with 3 400 gallon horizonal water tanks built into the 1st floor. My friend is a foundation expert :)

You seem to have acquired a home that's effiecent without the work. I'm glad that you recognize the positive attributes of such a home, most people do not.

I'm planning on a metal roof tacked down to 8x2s on cj with two layers of 3" hd foam 4/8s.

It's nice to see someone else (besides BD and Sampson) that understands how we should live.

Rogo

metal roof, check. Don't have the foam, but I have 3 layers (layered so no air escapes) that equal R65 in the roof. All my electric is rigid EMT that is documented and ties into a large box in the attic. It's roofing is designed to maximize sunlight in the winter, and elminate it in the summer. I like it cold when I sleep, so we do run a swamp cooler in the summer nights, but if you shut windows/doors, it stays very cool all day long.

We have a wood burning stove with 3" of cement surrounding it, so it takes a while to heat up, but you have 10+ hours of heat AFTER the fire goes out. Coal is/was $76 a ton, + $60 to pick it up. I get all the old power poles (not cresoat covered) I want, so it's free, cured wood + gas for the chain saw + sweat to split. We DO have a radiant hot water system, but we don't use it (not nearly as efficient as the stove). I'm thinking of converting that to solar radiant heat, and/or replumb the water to go through the cement of the stove (so I can heat the water with it).

BTW, I am so far from a tree hugger (well, maybe not soo far). It just makes sense. I live (and love) this home because I'm cheap. It's smaller (but my family is small, and I don't need/want a big home) but our mortgage was only for 75K, and payments are low. I want to be out from under my Mortgage within 12 years.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
I saw a show on this the other day and they used a steel girder frame with the hay bales. They claimed it is cheaper and stronger. This might be because it was a 2 story home. I would think that there would be some load limits that would prohibit too tall of a straw bale structure. I guess that is why they use a framing structure.

straw bales are very good structurally, but I don't know if they are OK for more then 2-3 stories.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
nweaver

Rogo

even doing the cement yourself, the mud alone is a TON since the late 90's, like 300% increase in cost right there. I need 400 yards for floor alone, that's a few truck loads!

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
couldn't straw bale disintegrate over time, and also wouldnt it be a huge fire risk?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: nweaver
nweaver

Rogo

even doing the cement yourself, the mud alone is a TON since the late 90's, like 300% increase in cost right there. I need 400 yards for floor alone, that's a few truck loads!

400 yards?!! You might need to recheck your math before you order. Even at 1 foot thick floors, that's 10,800 square feet. (There are 9 square feet in a square yard, a yard of concrete is 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet)