For those of you that have built your own home

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: spidey07
What do you mean by building your own home?

Are you acting as the general contractor, financing and paying the individual companies that build your home the different pieces?

If not and you're paying another GC to do it, then keep on their butt every single day and make sure you have a rock solid contract.

I went with a GC and while he accomodated what I wanted there were places that were shotty/substandard work. And I didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

lol, that's what i was thinking. my dad built our house (subcontracted concrete and ac i think).

i don't think the op could build his own house by the sound of it.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSiege
couldn't straw bale disintegrate over time, and also wouldnt it be a huge fire risk?

nope, straw won't, and actually, the compressed nature and preparation of the straw means it actually burns SLOWER then a traditional stick built home. They really are awesome, and I don't get whey they don't get used more.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: nweaver
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
nweaver

I'll be pouring the slab-it's concrete with 3 400 gallon horizonal water tanks built into the 1st floor. My friend is a foundation expert :)

You seem to have acquired a home that's effiecent without the work. I'm glad that you recognize the positive attributes of such a home, most people do not.

I'm planning on a metal roof tacked down to 8x2s on cj with two layers of 3" hd foam 4/8s.

It's nice to see someone else (besides BD and Sampson) that understands how we should live.

Rogo

even doing the cement yourself, the mud alone is a TON since the late 90's, like 300% increase in cost right there. I need 400 yards for floor alone, that's a few truck loads!

400 yards?!! You might need to recheck your math before you order. Even at 1 foot thick floors, that's 10,800 square feet. (There are 9 square feet in a square yard, a yard of concrete is 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet)

I blame public education. Still, 134 yards of mud is a lot of money, but no where near the 400 I exaggerated before :D

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bctbct
The Three Little Pigs has some good pointers.

They need to add in the one little pig that had vinyl siding that ripped all to pieces when the wolf blew also. :thumbsup:

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Originally posted by: bctbct
The Three Little Pigs has some good pointers.

They need to add in the one little pig that had vinyl siding that ripped all to pieces when the wolf blew also. :thumbsup:

They still wouldnt read it, look above they are still talking about straw houses, wtf?? :D

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Mary Jesus and Joseph there are 27 sq ft in a yard 3X3X3 !

Since you can get the concrete cheap, build your own with ICF forms right to the soffit, and put in geo-thermal for the heating cooling system.
My wife designed the first all concrete house in this city using ICF's and they are much easier to use nowadays.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: desy

Since you can get the concrete cheap, build your own with ICF forms right to the soffit, and put in geo-thermal for the heating cooling system.
My wife designed the first all concrete house in this city using ICF's and they are much easier to use nowadays.

That's half the battle these days with cutting edge stuff. Getting your county or city to actually approve it. It helps there are others out there paving the way, but God help you if you are the first one.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Yeah she said you could put a supermarket on the footings but the guy who built it owned his concrete company and so as to please the city engineers, way overbuilt it.
They are a lot more knowlegable now as far as approving ICFs tho and supposed to be much easier to setup yourself now.
Can you do lego blocks ;)

MainFramed

Diamond Member
May 29, 2002
what were some of the most helpful books you bought

haha no books, i recommend you get a good architect and find yourself a good home developer.

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
TheSiege

What kind of material are you looking for?
General home construction methods or job cost estimating?

I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to help you out with cost estimating or even give you a good idea of costs because of the extreme variation based on house type, location, size, quality and grades of flooring, fixtures, etc.

Don't let anyone give you the rough $ per sq foot as this will hold no more true than the weather predictions on your local TV station.

I've been in the home building industry in some form for about 15 years and the cost will vary wildly.

If you want to ask more detailed questions Ill respond

-fish

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

Pretty efficient plan. Thermal mass and structural integrity combined with the geothermal heating is a solid option. Expensive to go with geothermal, though. Adds $20,000 upfront to the cost of the house, from what I've read about it.

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006

First thing are you buying a raw piece of land or are you buying a lot ready to build from a developer?

This is a big gotcha for most diy builders. Normally quotes for home construction are for the structure and don't include any kind of lot clearing, site planning, drainage issues, etc.

If you aren't versed at local laws and don't have access to engineers/surveyors etc then you will want to stick with the ready to build developer lot in a community.

Developing raw land can be a nightmare as well as cost big $$ if you aren't careful.

Second you are going to want to decide on a home plan upfront.

Most estimates cannot be done effectively without the plans.

Rules of thumb (normally) ranchs cost more per sq ft than two stories.
The more angles a house has on it the higher the cost. A two story box is the cheapest (per sq ft) than any other house.

Third once a home plan is decided on the big cost are to the homeowner are going to be what is put in the house as well as the exterior (brick>vinyl, etc)
Most "controlled cost" are going to be in the kitchens and bathrooms. Sinks, toilets, faucets, appliance can range from cheap to builder grade to damn right outrageous when it comes to cost.

Stainless steel vs plan white appliances. Kenmore vs jenn air etc

Flooring is another area of "controlled cost". cheap laminante and berber compared to hand laid hardwood floor.

Get the drift...................

Just some more to think about before taking on such a project.

-fish

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
TS

I just read your resume and I wouldn't hire you.

Rogo

????

But anyways...

I do however think the op needs to do a bit more research on his own, online, and then ask his questions in a bit more detail.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: keird

Pretty efficient plan. Thermal mass and structural integrity combined with the geothermal heating is a solid option. Expensive to go with geothermal, though. Adds $20,000 upfront to the cost of the house, from what I've read about it.

you make it back in the 30 years you are paying your mortgage though.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
My parents built there house 12-14 years ago and there largest cost was the fill. 114 dump truck loads of dirt adds up. Total cost of the house was around 50K. 2 Story + atitic. 40x60 fondation. Did most of the work themselves except for the site prep.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: nweaver
nweaver

I'll be pouring the slab-it's concrete with 3 400 gallon horizonal water tanks built into the 1st floor. My friend is a foundation expert :)

You seem to have acquired a home that's effiecent without the work. I'm glad that you recognize the positive attributes of such a home, most people do not.

I'm planning on a metal roof tacked down to 8x2s on cj with two layers of 3" hd foam 4/8s.

It's nice to see someone else (besides BD and Sampson) that understands how we should live.

Rogo

even doing the cement yourself, the mud alone is a TON since the late 90's, like 300% increase in cost right there. I need 400 yards for floor alone, that's a few truck loads!

400 yards for the floor!! WTF are you building?

Never mind, saw your answer.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: DLeRium
4500 sq ft house.
$600k mortgage to pay =(

no other info?

Judging by the fact that he's in college, I think he'll have to ask mommy and daddy tomorrow morning.

I was going to say....that's a lot of house!

Anyway, we went to a custom builder, and he had a "menu" of about 100 designs that he came up with. We just picked one that worked and the threw the package together for a flat rate. The house had a 1 yr warranty (more for things like plumbing). Appliances, indoor paint, and window treatments all had allowances (so they could be rolled into the loan- GREAT way to save on cash).

Otherwise, whatever you expect to spend, triple it :) I can't BELIEVE how much we ended up forking out to furnish the place, plant a lawn, etc. Anything you can do to roll everything into one payment, do it! Especially insurance and taxes.

This was for a house that we could actually afford. It's no wonder that all these loans are defaulting from people who got mortgages on the upper limit of their credit.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
couldn't straw bale disintegrate over time, and also wouldnt it be a huge fire risk?

Not to mention, that's the first house that the big bad wolf blew in. It all goes back to listening to the 3 Little Pigs!

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Well geothermal is 20 G to put in but if your going to put in 10G for your HVAC sytem anyway then its only 10G difference . Payback is about 10 yrs.

Its cheaper if you have some land cause then you can run your loops out horizontally with a ditch witch. It is a lot cheaper than a drilling rig if you have to go down to put in your 200' loops.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

You're scaring me too. There are 27 CUBIC feet in a yard of concrete.

However, if you're talking about how many square feet of floor you can pour at 1 foot thick, yes, 27. Why on earth would anyone pour a floor that's 1 foot thick. I can't think of any reason.