Foods that are repulsive to you

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Durian fruit, brains, chicken feet and black licorice.

I like other organ meats like livers, sweetbreads, chicken hearts, and willing to try more. Won't try brain again.

Otherwise I'll eat anything, besides insects.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i was offered and i politely declined, there's a couple different types depending on the age of the embryo, she said the best ones where the oldest ones, the crunch was better :eek:
giphy.gif

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Organ meats. Any of them. prepared in any fashion. Just no. Especially liver or kidney. They are filter organs, why the hell would people want to eat them? Filthy organs is what they are. Even if I didn't hate the texture and flavor...the knowledge of what they are is disgusting to me.

Mayo. Only way I can stand any amount of it is tuna salad...but it's not like tuna salad you'd buy in a deli. There's just enough mayo to keep it from drying out, basically. Most times I'll use thousand island instead.

Worse than mayo is mustard. Any kind, I don't care. If you handed me a sandwich with mustard on it, I might smack you in the chops. I can't even stand the smell.

Reactions: Motostu

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Organ meats. Any of them. prepared in any fashion. Just no. Especially liver or kidney. They are filter organs, why the hell would people want to eat them? Filthy organs is what they are. Even if I didn't hate the texture and flavor...the knowledge of what they are is disgusting to me.

Mayo. Only way I can stand any amount of it is tuna salad...but it's not like tuna salad you'd buy in a deli. There's just enough mayo to keep it from drying out, basically. Most times I'll use thousand island instead.

Worse than mayo is mustard. Any kind, I don't care. If you handed me a sandwich with mustard on it, I might smack you in the chops. I can't even stand the smell.

Thousand Island is mayo and ketchup :colbert:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

I also abhor mayo.

I've found exactly one thing that I like mustard on, burgers from Dick's Drive In. They use exactly the right amount of the right kind of mustard for me to enjoy it, I was astonished after disliking everything I've ever tried mustard on (I then tried a burger from somewhere else with mustard, NOPE, only Dick's for me).
Mustard can be a good ingredient in BBQ sauce, but only to a certain extent. If there's too much, it's not for me.

Reactions: Pohemi

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Ever had a Caipirinha? :) Great drink tons of lime!
I've never heard of it, but if it tastes like lime, I'm not likely to enjoy it. If there's a bunch of lime in it and it doesn't taste like lime, then sort of makes you wonder what's all the lime for?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Liver is nutrient dense and also contains nutrients usually found only in plants, such as vitamin C, B9(folate). The toxins processed do not stay in it. Liver is the mammal analogue to the role of mollusks like mussel or oyster in the sea, and the mollusks also happen to contain the "plant-only" micronutrients like vitamin C and folate.

"Traditional" cultures throughout the world happen to value the liver as something important, equivalent to the heart, even in Renaissance England but this has been knowledge has been lost. The Chinese language though, will preserve the value of liver because it is literally in the phrase for "dearly beloved object of affection"(literally heart-liver, being 心肝)

Pig liver is probably the mildest-tasting of livers.

Liver and heart are usually the first things a wild animal eats after a kill.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I could eat a mayo sandwich. And I have recently. On the Italian potato bread they sell at whole foods. Delicious. Put some liverwurst on that as a bonus.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Liver is nutrient dense and also contains nutrients usually found only in plants, such as vitamin C, B9(folate). The toxins processed do not stay in it. Liver is the mammal analogue to the role of mollusks like mussel or oyster in the sea, and the mollusks also happen to contain the "plant-only" micronutrients like vitamin C and folate.

"Traditional" cultures throughout the world happen to value the liver as something important, equivalent to the heart, even in Renaissance England but this has been knowledge has been lost. The Chinese language though, will preserve the value of liver because it is literally in the phrase for "dearly beloved object of affection"(literally heart-liver, being 心肝)

Pig liver is probably the mildest-tasting of livers.

Liver and heart are usually the first things a wild animal eats after a kill.

Chicken liver is amazing. I've had it a few different ways but I think the chicken liver yakitori I had at a yakitori joint in the city was the best, the chicken heart yakitori was really good to. I'll do a traditional chicken liver sautee with onions and mushrooms and white wine at home every month or so.

Sweetbreads are this extra special deliciousness, they have hints of liver in them, but the flavor is far more subtle and refined than liver. Sweetbreads are a mighty fine gland.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I could eat a mayo sandwich. And I have recently. On the Italian potato bread they sell at whole foods. Delicious. Put some liverwurst on that as a bonus.

when i was a kid, i would put miracle whip on white wonder bread and eat it as a snack

Reactions: KMFJD
Jul 27, 2020
i almost always eat french fries with mayo
I avoid french fries now coz of their high acrylamide content. I also got pushed into diabetes after eating french fries daily for a month, with a glass of mango milk shake, for breakfast (don't ask why!). Got out of the red zone through fasting that reduced my weight to almost 50 kg.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elaine...ylamide-in-your-french-fries/?sh=69ae78cebc80

However, I have eaten them occasionally since then but in small amounts. I like them with a mix of ketchup and mayo. Almost never pay for them now. It's only at office parties that I may eat them.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Liver is nutrient dense and also contains nutrients usually found only in plants...
....Liver and heart are usually the first things a wild animal eats after a kill.
That's great, very informative. Doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly care to eat them, lol...I'm not a wild carnivore. If I want plant nutrients...I can eat plants. I didn't say the knowledge of it being a filter organ was the only reason I didn't care for it. Take away the psychological repulsion, and I still don't care for the flavor or texture.
I've never heard of it....
It's similar to a Mojito. Very tasty, but yes...lime.

ASK THE COMMUNITY