Folding@Home bigadv EOL Anniversary Challenge on Jan. 31st - Feb. 7th: The race has finished.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Remember the F@H big advantage work units with big bonus points of days past? Well, @pututu at [H] suggested we run a challenge starting on the 5th anniversary of the bigadv EOL announcement by Vijay Pande at Stanford. A big thanks to @[H]Coleslaw for help setting this up. :)

Details:
1) [H] total team Folding@home points vs. Team Anandtech members who sign up for the challenge.
2) The challenge starts at 12:00 UTC January 31st (time 0 stats) and ends 12:00 UTC on February 7th.
3) Team Anandtech members must sign up for the challenge before the start date!

Post in this thread if you want in.

TeAm members:
Markfw
petrusbroder
TennesseeTony
biodoc
Pokey
Ken_g6
Orange Kid
crashtech
Icecold
ZipSpeed
lane42
Skillz
Assimilator1
emoga
Mike_F
phoenicis

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
As long as "pokier-than-Pokey" members don't count against the TeAm, I'll join. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Pokey and biodoc

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I retired my GTX 1060 6GB from gaming duties on my HTPC, and is now on F@H for the time being. Count me in the race.

Reactions: biodoc

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Just a nagging reminder for more TeAm members to sign up. :)

The challenge starts at 12:00 UTC January 31st (time 0 stats).

I just started to fold on my GPUs.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm in :).

And when I can get my shiny new zen 2 3600 to run at full load without hit 90+C!:eek: That'll be joining my GPU crunching!

Last edited:
Reactions: biodoc and lane42

emoga

May 13, 2018
Can you put me on the list? I'm not in love with folding...but if the TeAm needs extra horse power after a day or two into the competition, I would have regretted not officially 'signing up';)

Reactions: Ken g6 and biodoc

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Hi!
I didn't even know you all existed. I was searching for some information and blundered my way here.
Sure. Sign me up. I don't know really what to expect for PPD. The delta from different work units has been surprising.

Thanks for finding us and signing up for the race Mike and welcome to the Team Anandtech DC forum. :)

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hi, and welcome to the TeAm.
Questions? Ask away, we will do our best to help you. :)

Mike_F

Jan 27, 2020
Thank you everyone.
Although I find the whole idea fascinating and the ability to contribute fulfilling, I have fairly limited time to mess around with DC stuff. I have only been involved with F@H to honor a friend that died of cancer at 55. So, my prime directive is to get a stable environment and more of less leave it alone.
I would be very interested in doing that in a linux environment, but just can't seem to dedicate enough time to work out the kinks. (Researching that--again--is what brought me around here.) Eventually, I give up and go back to tried and true Windows that with a little overclocking and power throttling is quite stable and reasonably productive.
Has anyone else noticed that the new core22 is much more efficient on Windows? My specualtion is that it seems to do more of the "work" on board the GPU and uses the pcie bus much less, therefore doesn't take the overhead hit as bad.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
BIGADV was CPU based, right ? If so, my new Rome should be perfect as a test @! It should be up today !

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
BIGADV was CPU based, right ? If so, my new Rome should be perfect as a test @! It should be up today !

There's no big bonus for SMT CPU projects anymore, but it will be interesting to see how well the Rome will do. :)