Focusing on World Community Grid

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Where and when is the next TeAm challenge?

I don't think there's any current challenges at the moment. Trying to break into the top 50 was mentioned a few times. If anything, I'd expect production to drop in the coming months as the weather warms up. I already had to scale back.

Opportunities based on current level of production:

34xjhft.jpg

Current producers based on yesterday's data:

168t0du.jpg

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I don't think there's any current challenges at the moment. Trying to break into the top 50 was mentioned a few times. If anything, I'd expect production to drop in the coming months as the weather warms up.

I vote we hold a special, internal event to get us that much closer :thumbup:

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I vote we hold a special, internal event to get us that much closer :thumbup:

I'm down with this. :) I believe Peter is the team captain, so he would have to setup the team challenges through WCG. If we decide to go this route.

A bit off-topic: I finally found the time to start overclocking my 3770K. This ah heck is one sweet chip so far. Clocked at 4.2 GHz with 1.1V, it passed 20 runs of IntelBurnTest at maximum and 8 hours of Prime95 Blend. I have a massive Noctua NH-D14 mounted to it (yeah, a bit overkill but I got the HSF for dirt cheap :D ) and the temps hovered around the mid-60s most of the time. Do all 3770Ks sip power like mine or did I score a special chip? As a comparison, my 2600K requires 1.270V to achieve a stable 4.2 GHz.

Last edited:

ljtatej

Nov 30, 2009
It takes mine 1.29 to hit 4.4 on a H100. That's as far as temps would be safe. Been toying with the idea of de-lidding.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah, I saw IDC's thread on delidding and it sure does benefit from it. I don't have the balls to do it myself though. I'm pretty happy with what I got out of my 3770K though.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Help Conquer Cancer April 2013 Update:

http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~juris/WCG/UPDATE-APR2013.pdf

Project is ending but something is going to replace it.

Processing of all work units is nearly complete, with just a few weeks remaining. Much work
remains to be done in our lab and in our compute cluster, compiling, analyzing, and mining
the results, generating new models, and propagating the advances back into the protein
crystallization pipeline. Work will carry on.

Meanwhile, the end of Help Conquer Cancer will not be the end of our involvement with the
World Community Grid. We are busy developing a new project that will search for prognostic
and predictive signatures (sets of genes, proteins, microRNAs, etc.) that help predict patient survival and response to treatment. The project will target multiple cancers. The title, launch
date, and further details will be announced at a later date.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's good to hear. In other news, I've stopped my crunchers, it has been getting quite warm already here in the northeast. Sorry. (I had my LLano A6-3670K @ 3.0 on WCG/HCC, and my G630 @ 2.7 on NFS@Home and PrimeGrid.)

Edit: Started NFS@Home again on my G630. Idle wattage is 42W, crunching wattage is 68W, I figure I can spare that amount of watts for crunching.

Edit: Decomissioned the G630 (even though it was a power-efficient cruncher), and swapped back to my Q9300 @ 3.0. Also started crunching again on my A6 Llano APU @ 3.0.

Last edited:

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I noticed HCC GPU tasks are starting to slow down. They're still trickling in, but it looks like the finish line is near.

EDIT: The slowdown appear to be just for AMD tasks. My 2 x GTX 460 still has lots of Nvidia work.

Last edited:

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
I noticed HCC GPU tasks are starting to slow down. They're still trickling in, but it looks like the finish line is near.

EDIT: The slowdown appear to be just for AMD tasks. My 2 x GTX 460 still has lots of Nvidia work.

The announcements are a bit vague, but I'm hoping the tasks last through the month. Or, at least until the next primegrid race :)

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
It was trickling for a bit but it looks like they added a bunch of work again. All three of my Radeons have a healthy amount of work again.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Excellent! You're joining a winning team :)

I've got rig going from a 5850 to a 7950 soon - should increase the PPD for WCG nicely as long as there is work for it.

This was posted on April 1 by one of the WCG Techs:

25 days of work remaining for Help Conquer Cancer

Based on current estimates, there is now approximately 25 days of new work remaining for the Help Conquer Cancer project. Once all new work has been sent out for the project, only resend work units will be available (work units not previously computed correctly or on time).

The launch of GPU processing has significantly accelerated the completion of this research and as a result, Help Conquer Cancer will complete over 2 1/2 years sooner than would be possible otherwise. We are also looking at our future projects to see if they could benefit from GPU processing as well.

Seippel

April 24 today so it probably won't be long before work runs out. :(

spencers

Aug 21, 2003
Setting GPU up seems to be a chore and giant clusterf*ck.

Based on the posts above, I'm guessing there's no projects within WCG that are issuing GPU units?

If not, I suppose I will still crunch Einstein GPU units...

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Help Conquer Cancer has GPU work units. The project is near-completion though.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Quick update from one of the WCG techs:

The researchers have identified additional batches for this project which need to be run (and weren't included in the original 25 day estimate). I'm in the process of getting them loaded into BOINC and should be able to provide a more accurate estimated number of days left once this is complete. At minimum though, there should be more than five days left of work before we exhaust the supply of non-resend work units.

Seippel

Looks like the project will run just a tad longer!

spencers

Aug 21, 2003
Why do points wildly differ on FreeDC versus the WCG website?

FreeDC says 40,000, yet WCG says 255,276.

Guessing it's the 7 WCG points = 1 BOINC point thing?

Last edited:

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Why do points wildly differ on FreeDC versus the WCG website?

FreeDC says 40,000, yet WCG says 255,276.

Guessing it's the 7 WCG points = 1 BOINC point thing?

Yup, you got it. :)

Quick update for a WCG Tech regarding available work:

All remaining work for the project is now loaded into BOINC and there are now about 2.5 days of non-resend work remaining for this project.

Seippel

Grab 'em while they're hot!

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
It looks like HCC's well is spitting. Non-resend work is done and mop up time has commenced.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Another quick update from a WCG Tech:

knreed said:
We have just finished distributing the last of the new work for the Help Conquer Cancer project. It will take about 7-10 days for the in progress work for the project to complete. During this time there will periodically be additional results sent out to finish up those in-progress workunits.

THANK YOU so much for your contribution and efforts on this project!