Florida students required to register political views with the state to promote ‘intellectual diversity’

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Sounds like the Liberals are scared because they might get a taste of their own medicine.

Historically that 'medicine' has been administered by conservatives. A little thing called 'McCarthyism' comes to mind. Or the regular practice of black-listing potential employees if they are seen to be too active in trade unionism (the amusingly-misnamed "Freedom Association" here used to maintain a database for employers to consult for that specific purpose - when the data protection act meant they couldn't legally keep such records in computer form, I heard they got round it by switching to using a card index).

The distinguishing characteristic of liberals (which sometimes makes them annoying to leftists) is their emphasis on 'diversity' of views. That's why the Gaurdian, though essentially a centrist, paper, is one of the few parts of the mainstream media that carries opinion pieces by actual leftists on occasion.

For the same reason the Guardian has carried articles by Tea-Party supporters and other conservatives (as if they don't already have plenty of platforms available to them). It's Liberal, i.e. it makes a big thing out of 'diversity of opinion'. That's what liberals do, unlike conservatives (or, to be honest, the left).

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
If someone changes their mind will they be subject to charges?
Brings new meaning to "I do declare"

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Students? That will end well…

What a joke. most people will simply lie.

That’s going to get overturned by the courts. But in the meantime, I'm sure they will begin making lists and attempt to destroy as many people’s lives as possible.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

That’s going to get overturned by the courts. But in the meantime, I'm sure they will begin making lists and attempt to destroy as many people’s lives as possible.
It will almost certainly never go into effect as it will be immediately blocked by the courts.

That being said, glad to see the free speech crusaders demanding that people report their views to the government for inspection and potential punishment if the views are found to be undesirable.

jim barclay

Aug 13, 2018
Listen, I get playing to your base but who in gods name thinks this is a good idea? This is literally the most outrageous thing a politician has done in my recent memory, even Trump with all his chaos doesn't match this!!

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69
Mar 11, 2004

Exactly. Next up "Florida officials frustrated by political disclosures: Votey McVoteface the leading political party."

Oh they'll try, but they'll just reveal themselves in the process and I kinda look forward to just how much they get trolled. And then it'll fuel a bunch of "Zoomers are the worst humans ever!!!!!!!!!" raging shitfaced op eds. Hell pretty sure our Ringleader of the Clown Circle Jerk Circus will make sure we're aware of every single one while he drizzles diarrhea straight into his cranium.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
After I retired in at age 55, I started teaching part-time in a state supported school. Taught what I knew, from my profession. I enjoyed it and found it rewarding, plus the money was crazy nice.

Spent 15 years doing that a couple of semesters a year... got to know the faculty, staff, administrators, and politics pretty well. As this also requires faculty and staff to complete the survey, I know this is fucking blowing up from adjunct faculty all the way through deans.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Anyone got a list of Florida businesses and their political leanings? I would like to know so I can promote "financial diversity" when shopping online.

Reactions: hal2kilo

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Tennessee is trying to pass legislation that limits what teachers can teach about racism, evolution, etc. in classrooms. I immediately thought of The State of Tennessee v. John Thomas Scopes trial.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Anyone got a list of Florida businesses and their political leanings? I would like to know so I can promote "financial diversity" when shopping online.
It's in the same bill. Right next to the part requiring Florida students to register their political beliefs.

Mar 11, 2004
It's in the same bill. Right next to the part requiring Florida students to register their political beliefs.

They already have a list of businesses' political leanings and included it in the bill? In other words, you clearly didn't bother actually reading the post you quoted.

Mar 11, 2004
You will be forced to watch Fox/OAN/Newsmax until you are a drooling idiot.

I like how someone that proudly proclaims their obsessions with a football team (they themselves know is shitty) finds admitting you have political beliefs some abhorrent thing. That's exactly how we ended up where we are, Americans like to believe they're apolitical (can't roll my eyes enough) because we've demonized giving a shit about anything (which is why right wingers declare something "political" as a means of dismissing it) but the dumbest of dumb shit while the country falls to pieces, literally in some cases.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
They already have a list of businesses' political leanings and included it in the bill? In other words, you clearly didn't bother actually reading the post you quoted.
No stupid, there's no list. There's no requirement for students to do anything either.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
No stupid there's no list. There's no requirement for students to do anything either.

Then WTF was that law that de Sanass just signed that REQUIRES students and faculty to fill out this political viewpoint survey? A survey that has no privacy measures included nor any measures to assure anonymity.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Then WTF was that law that de Sanass just signed that REQUIRES students and faculty to fill out this political viewpoint survey? A survey that has no privacy measures included nor any measures to assure anonymity.
Did you actually read the bill or were you duped by a clickbait title and equally dumb OP? The unintelligentsia that frequent this forum fall for it all the time. That's what happens when you 1. aren't very smart and 2. live in an echo chamber.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
to determine "the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented" on campus

Fantastic how the GOP think that the problem is simply that their "ideas" (if we generously call angry tweeting that) just aren't presented to students. Oh if they only knew of these amazing policies of the republican party! Surely then they would love us! :tearsofjoy:

Not that young people going to college are well-aware of the horrendous and abhorrent... plans of the GOP and anyone with more than a high school education, or a shred of humanity, will reject them.

Also, how is this controlled? Can students choose from a list of "ideologies", or can they just make up what they want (because that will end hilariously)
"yes governor, our surveys shows that in fact 85% of students follow the ideogolgy of... *checks notes* "DeSantis is a sweaty ballsack""

Reactions: Zorba and KMFJD

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This seems to be the actual bill. Not that I can make sense of all the legalese.

The Board of Governors shall require each state 87university to conduct an annual assessment of the intellectual 88freedom and viewpoint diversity at that institution. The Board 89of Governors shall select or create an objective, nonpartisan, 90and statistically valid survey to be used by each state 91university which considers the extent to which competing ideas 92and perspectives are presented and members of the university 93community, including students, faculty, and staff, feelfree to 94express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the 95classroom. The Board of Governors shall annually compile and 96publish the assessments by September 1 of each year, beginning 97on September 1, 2022.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
This seems to be the actual bill. Not that I can make sense of all the legalese.

This seems to imply that if "all sides" are thought equally, then the ideological adherance among the student body as a whole will be randomized. I.e if there are two sides then 50% of students will belong to each side. Discounting that some ideologies are a) stupid (*cough trickle down, *cough), or b) not beneficial to the majority of students (*cough trickle down, again, *cough).
As most of the policies of the GOP benefit either the 1% or racists, they should expect that at most, 1% of students, or the equivalent percentage of (college educated?) racists in the population, would prescribe to their views. (of course allowing for overlap, to account for the racists 1%'ers)