Florida students required to register political views with the state to promote ‘intellectual diversity’

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Floriduh, the beacon of small government

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation requiring students, faculty and staff at Florida's public universities and colleges to register their political views with the state as a way to encourage "intellectual diversity."
The state will require taxpayer-funded colleges and universities to issue surveys to determine "the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented" on campus and whether students, faculty and staff "feel free to express [their] beliefs and viewpoints," although it's not clear what will be done with the poll results, reported the Tampa Bay Times.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
giphy.gif

Guess it's easier to have a cleansing when you know who the "bad guys" are?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Floriduh, the beacon of small government

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation requiring students, faculty and staff at Florida's public universities and colleges to register their political views with the state as a way to encourage "intellectual diversity."
The state will require taxpayer-funded colleges and universities to issue surveys to determine "the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented" on campus and whether students, faculty and staff "feel free to express [their] beliefs and viewpoints," although it's not clear what will be done with the poll results, reported the Tampa Bay Times.
That's what I call freedumb.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is where it's headed.

DeSantis and the bill's sponsor, state Sen. Ray Rodrigues (R-Estero), suggested funding could be cut as punishment for colleges and universities found to be "indoctrinating" students under the measure, which goes into effect July 1.

This is an all out culture war we're in.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
sigh-

DeSantis also signed a law prohibiting university and college officials from limiting campus speech that "may be uncomfortable, disagreeable or offensive," and will allow students to record lectures without consent that may be used as evidence in a civil or criminal case against educational institutions.

not gonna bite them in the ass at all is it?

Nov 29, 2006
Tell me this is an onion story. There is no fucking way republicans would support something like this.

I expect our resident righties to chime in on this and be totally against it. Any minute now…

I think Republicans have rebranded themselves. No longer the small government, personal responsibility, etc brand. Traditional Republican's should really think about not supporting the new fascist Republican party.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Or...what happens if you lie in the survey?

What happens to the info collected is not very clear per what I have read, which is one of the big problems. Like are they going to cut your college's funding if it is not sufficiently conservative or does the local GOP show up at your house for a re-education seminar.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think Republicans have rebranded themselves. No longer the small government, personal responsibility, etc brand. Traditional Republican's should really think about not supporting the new fascist Republican party.
But the only real alternative is to vote for... d-d-d-d-d-democrats :cry:
I mean, yeah, I guess they could try voting for non-fascist R candidates in primaries, but I don't like their odds.

Reactions: Leeea

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Inb4 Florida mandates restroom genital checkers who are mandated by law to put their hands down your pants to make sure you have the "right" equipment before letting you entering your preferred gender-labeled restroom. You know, to "encourage gender diversity" of course. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
sigh-

DeSantis also signed a law prohibiting university and college officials from limiting campus speech that "may be uncomfortable, disagreeable or offensive," and will allow students to record lectures without consent that may be used as evidence in a civil or criminal case against educational institutions.

not gonna bite them in the ass at all is it?
Wait, wut?! Kids need permission to record lectures nowadays?