Florida Man Is Shot to Death for Texting During Movie Previews

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Just more reason that the Constitutional right of a speedy trial is enforced not only for the accused, but also for society. This wholesale abuse of the Constitution needs to stop.

Amendment VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

It was the accused who caused the delay in the trial.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Retired Officer Says He Had No Choice in Theater Killing

A retired police SWAT commander testified he fatally shot a man in a movie theater eight years ago during an argument sparked by cellphone usage because he feared he was about to be attacked by a person he said “looked like a monster.”.

Attacked by .... popcorn? The Great Popcorn Monster?

It just goes to show, these wanna be cowboys with their concealed carried etc are nothing but living in fear and paranoia

Nov 17, 2019
Told ya.

--------------

Prosecutor Scott Rosenwasser told jurors during closing arguments that before retired Tampa police Capt. Curtis Reeves killed Chad Oulson, no one would have ever believed that one man would murder another over tossed popcorn — "but we know that’s what happened" in a suburban movie theater on Jan. 13, 2014, and it wasn't justifiable.

“He didn't fear anything,” Rosenwasser said.

But defense attorney Richard Escobar countered that the popcorn toss did not cause the shooting. He said that Oulson, 43, made Reeves, then 71, reasonably believe his life was in danger by turning, yelling and reaching toward him. He said Reeves made the decision to shoot based on his nearly 30 years in law enforcement and hours of training on the justifiable use of deadly force. Reeves didn’t have to wait until he was hit before defending himself, Escobar said.

--------------

They're even using that Warrior Mentality as their defense.

Nov 17, 2019
Anybody surprised?

Curtis Reeves, retired police captain who fatally shot man in movie theater, acquitted

www.cnn.com.ico
CNN|10 hours ago
A Florida jury acquitted retired Florida police captain Curtis Reeves in the shooting death of a man in a movie theater eight years ago.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ah Florida, the alligator state. Well, that is that then, I guess the jury found reasonable doubt. Still, an 8 year delay, that is crazy.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
WTF acquitted? What kind of bannana republic is this?
I used to hang out at the gun range with one of the judges that presided over criminal cases. He had a couple of different stripper GFs he was teaching to shoot, that tagged along over the years. 2 high school acquaintances were LEOs and they would shoot with us sometimes too. The old boys network was 100% alive and well. I surmise it still is. Now, if you are not connected, it is a dice roll. But if you ARE connected, those dice are loaded. Wasn't Zimmerman's dad a judge?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not surprised at all considering it’s floriduh, a cop can do nearly anything there without consequences.
Pretty much. I mean cops get away with insane shit all over the country, see Eric Garner, but they take it to the next level south of the mason Dixon line

Reactions: soundforbjt

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If the guy had to text someone at that moment why couldn't he have stepped outside the theater and return when finished??

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I like the part where the Florida legislature changed the law to the prosecution has to prove it is not self defense. Just insure there are no witnesses and I guess you can kill anybody in Florida.
Gotta protect that right to self defense tho, amirite?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Gotta protect that right to self defense tho, amirite?
Yes, but I don't think that making the survivors of a person killed in self defense have to prove no such attack took place is the right way to do it. Naturally, though, if someone tries to kill you without you being a threat to them, and you manage to kill them first I would assume you would go with that option regardless of whether you could prove you were under threat. You have to make up your mind if you would prefer to be killed by a someone you yourself don't pose a threat or whether you, if possible, would protect yourself by killing them. It seems that in a situation where such self defense happens the better person survives.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, but I don't think that making the survivors of a person killed in self defense have to prove no such attack took place is the right way to do it. Naturally, though, if someone tries to kill you without you being a threat to them, and you manage to kill them first I would assume you would go with that option regardless of whether you could prove you were under threat. You have to make up your mind if you would prefer to be killed by a someone you yourself don't pose a threat or whether you, if possible, would protect yourself by killing them. It seems that in a situation where such self defense happens the better person survives.

so it's not the popcorn that really matters, it's the rule change that shifts the burden of proof. good to know, cuz in another thread you seemed to defend the numbers placing accidental deaths among minors using guns surpassing motor vehicle accidents (a shift in the last 20 years), and the evidence that gun violence research has been intentionally unfunded as simply part of self defense. I mean, if that's the stance, who really cares where the burden of proof is. Popcorn == gun. good shoot. self defense upheld, burden of proof isn't really the problem here. It's the fact that we're willing to withstand lax gun laws and preventable deaths, in the name of "self defense"

Maybe the answer is more guns, right? I mean, if little timmy was to accidentally pick up a gun....but johnny had one too, it's self defense whoever is left standing, and that's a classy american ending to an otherwise tragic ending!

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
so it's not the popcorn that really matters, it's the rule change that shifts the burden of proof. good to know, cuz in another thread you seemed to defend the numbers placing accidental deaths among minors using guns surpassing motor vehicle accidents (a shift in the last 20 years), and the evidence that gun violence research has been intentionally unfunded as simply part of self defense. I mean, if that's the stance, who really cares where the burden of proof is. Popcorn == gun. good shoot. self defense upheld, burden of proof isn't really the problem here. It's the fact that we're willing to withstand lax gun laws and preventable deaths, in the name of "self defense"

Maybe the answer is more guns, right? I mean, if little timmy was to accidentally pick up a gun....but johnny had one too, it's self defense whoever is left standing, and that's a classy american ending to an otherwise tragic ending!
No no no, not going to deal with a reply that completely distorts what I have said. Instead, let me just reply in kind that you are a rapist sympathizer who does not believe a woman is entitled to shoot someone who is trying to rape her. What a rotten son of a bitch you are. I know what your real bone about guns is.