Florida Man Is Shot to Death for Texting During Movie Previews

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Text during the previews in an Alamo Drafthouse theater and you'll be tossed out by management. How you choose to de-escalate doesn't mean it's the only way or even the right way for a given situation.

they are previews. who gives a fuck. i know i dont. now when the movie i paid for starts, yes that is when i care. but previews... if people are that high strung about people texting during previews, maybe they should stay home where its safe.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Text during the previews in an Alamo Drafthouse theater and you'll be tossed out by management. How you choose to de-escalate doesn't mean it's the only way or even the right way for a given situation.

The old mans job isnt to enforce alamo draft house rules in florida.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
An update since I was curious as to the case results...

Boy, sure must be nice to have that Blue Line protection even when retired. He might be dead before he gets to trial (He's now 77).

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
An update since I was curious as to the case results...

Boy, sure must be nice to have that Blue Line protection even when retired. He might be dead before he gets to trial (He's now 77).
I love how an actual theater full of people witnessed it but it still takes 8 goddamn years to go to trial.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Was it snowing in the theater?

It looks like the shockwave from the gunshot caused dust from the walls/ceiling to be dislodged and fly around like the dust in the sunrays of your house after you slap your couch.

Sequence of events: They argue, victim throws popcorn in sitting man's face. Sitting man shoots popcorn thrower, gunshot shockwave causes dust to fly.

Reactions: BD:)

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
It looks like the shockwave from the gunshot caused dust from the walls/ceiling to be dislodged and fly around like the dust in the sunrays of your house after you slap your couch.

Sequence of events: They argue, victim throws popcorn in sitting man's face. Sitting man shoots popcorn thrower, gunshot shockwave causes dust to fly.
Now I am more confused, so the person shot was texting during the trailers and then goes to the shooter, they have an argument and then due to the popcorn the man gets shots? So the shooter must have said something about the guy texting and so he had to talk smack because he was disrespected?

Jan 25, 2011
Now I am more confused, so the person shot was texting during the trailers and then goes to the shooter, they have an argument and then due to the popcorn the man gets shots? So the shooter must have said something about the guy texting and so he had to talk smack because he was disrespected?
The shooter said something about him being on the phone. He replied that he was checking in with his daughters babysitter. Got heated leading to this result.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The shooter said something about him being on the phone. He replied that he was checking in with his daughters babysitter. Got heated leading to this result.
Another family had a run-in with this guy about two weeks earlier, luckily it didn’t escalate, but they noticed he wasn’t really watching the movie but instead glaring at anyone who he thought may take out a phone.

• Wow
Reactions: JimKiler
Jul 9, 2009
Just more reason that the Constitutional right of a speedy trial is enforced not only for the accused, but also for society. This wholesale abuse of the Constitution needs to stop.

Amendment VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.