Florida Man Is Shot to Death for Texting During Movie Previews

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
All it means is that the judge didn't think there was evidence enough to allow stand your ground to be used to protect against going to trial. It doesn't mean the guy is guilty either. There was enough conflicting evidence with some testimony from other people and what Reeves said on the phone after when talking with emergency responders which is why stand-your-ground was tossed. That last bit is why you never ever ever talk to police about a case without a lawyer present.

So it'll go to trial and all the evidence will be aired out. Either there will be enough evidence to form reasonable doubt and be a self defense case or there won't be.

He killed a father. Don't be so flippant.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Upload a video when you really melt your firearms and let me know.

I can't do it. I read somewhere that for every gun destroyed, an American Eagle dies. Do you really want the death of the symbol of American Freedom on your hands? I sure as heck don't.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I can't do it. I read somewhere that for every gun destroyed, an American Eagle dies. Do you really want the death of the symbol of American Freedom on your hands? I sure as heck don't.

Exactly like Trump, flip flops what just said / promised.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Exactly like Trump, flip flops what just said / promised.

I was being facetious in the first place. I can tell you though if Trump doesn't deliver on his 2A promises I have absolutely no reason to like him. Didn't vote for him either way, and don't appreciate the comparison.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
just scary that someone as unbalanced as you can own firearms.

Who says I'm unbalanced? I shoot right handed but I keep all my ammo on my left side to achieve perfect balance. I get the feeling you don't even know what you are talking about sometimes =)

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Who says I'm unbalanced? I shoot right handed but I keep all my ammo on my left side to achieve perfect balance. I get the feeling you don't even know what you are talking about sometimes =)

I've shot guns. It was okay. It wasn't really something I'm really eager to do again. I find bows and arrows a lot more fun.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
He killed a father. Don't be so flippant.

Flippant because I believe in innocent until proven guilty? Everyone has family too, so even trying to use that to mean something is just being overly emotional instead of objectively logical.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
where did I state or imply guilt or innocence? there was a lot of back and forth about him 'standing his ground'
which was pointed out as bullshit. And that was confirmed.

Naw, I said there was evidence to make the claim, not that there wasn't counter evidence either which I stated previously in this thread. One has to "prove" stand your ground as a special defense at least.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ute&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

Problem with the law is there isn't a listed burden of proof for the claim. So the attorney's in a special session with the judge presented evidence for and against the claim of that law. The judge believed that there was enough evidence that the claim couldn't be made to have the defense used. I think the judge is going by the spirit of the law which means that it should be fairly overwhelming proof that stand your ground can be applied. That is just opinion by me but seems reasonable based on the news of this. Different judges could have ruled differently though since burden isn't spelled out by the statute.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Flippant because I believe in innocent until proven guilty? Everyone has family too, so even trying to use that to mean something is just being overly emotional instead of objectively logical.

Seems like you want this guy to walk. There really isn't much doubt here. Even if that guy was going to give him a beat down, this was in a public theater and so any physical fight would have been broken up before any serious damage.

But this is the problem with proliferation of guns. Stuff like this happening. Escalation unnecessarily.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Good news, hope the jury funds him guilty and judge throws the book at him

This happened more than three years ago and all this ruling does is allow it to maybe someday proceed to trial. I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for this guy to get tried and convicted. The perp is 74 now and if this is the way Florida operates there's a pretty good chance the guy will die of old age before he sees the inside of a cell.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I was being facetious in the first place. I can tell you though if Trump doesn't deliver on his 2A promises I have absolutely no reason to like him. Didn't vote for him either way, and don't appreciate the comparison.

I don't care if you are being facetious. I don't care if you are a Republican or Democrat, and being either Hillary or Trump supporter.

Gun should be used at home, for protecting yourself or your family. Not carrying it around and shoot people just because you are furious at the time.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I don't care if you are being facetious. I don't care if you are a Republican or Democrat, and being either Hillary or Trump supporter.

Gun should be used at home, for protecting yourself or your family. Not carrying it around and shoot people just because you are furious at the time.

But the only thing standing between me and muggers, rapists, killers and popcorn throwers is my gun. At least that's what the NRA tells me.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

And schools. Definitely schools.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I prefer to hunt with my teeth and claws, the way nature intended.

If you were a bear. You are a primate with a highly evolved brain. Evolution has designed you to hunt with weapons. Your fangs were traded for more brain cells. This is a primate with less highly evolved brain but super cool fangs for killing things with.

chimpa-2.jpg

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Seems like you want this guy to walk. There really isn't much doubt here. Even if that guy was going to give him a beat down, this was in a public theater and so any physical fight would have been broken up before any serious damage.

But this is the problem with proliferation of guns. Stuff like this happening. Escalation unnecessarily.

Nope. If the evidence shows he wasn't legally justified he needs to go to jail. I just have a hard problem with people auto assuming someone is guilty without knowing the evidence. I also have a hard time with people that have such a phobia of guns they just auto assume there isn't such a thing as self defense and that anyone willing to kill someone else is committing murder.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
If you were a bear. You are a primate with a highly evolved brain. Evolution has designed you to hunt with weapons. Your fangs were traded for more brain cells. This is a primate with less highly evolved brain but super cool fangs for killing things with.

chimpa-2.jpg
Fine, be like that and ruin my joke with your facts and your logic and your critical thinking.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

chimpa-2.jpg

I've evolved to hunt with this...

CVN5Fp8.jpg