FL, again..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I just don't understand why they don't have independent election office. It's almost like thet just want to pretend to be democratic.
I was thinking about how certain aspects of the US are really strange to me. The levels of corruption in local government are... well... more like you'd expect in a developing country. The gerrymandering, the way elections are run, local Judges and Sheriffs acting like it's 1818 not 2018. The police having pretty much no oversight. The level of the jail population and the way it's run.

I love the US but I'll never understand some of it.

Reactions: Zorba

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I was thinking about how certain aspects of the US are really strange to me. The levels of corruption in local government are... well... more like you'd expect in a developing country. The gerrymandering, the way elections are run, local Judges and Sheriffs acting like it's 1818 not 2018. The police having pretty much no oversight. The level of the jail population and the way it's run.

I love the US but I'll never understand some of it.

Because the majority of voters vote every 2 or 4 years and couldn't care or know much about their local communities where most state and federal politicians learn their trade as local politicians and all the behind the scenes dirty politics.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
After the nightmare of 'hanging chads" in 2000 FL went to electronic then switched to a paper ballot that's then fed into a scanner, it was supposed to be the most stable overall system but hey it's FL, we don't do "stable".

It's not electronic voting from my understanding, but electronic scanning of paper ballots.

Okay, that is good and easy to fix. That is my preferred method of voting.

Feb 4, 2009
I agree. And not just a paper back up, but one that is easy to read and determine intent.

Agreed the ones in MA even appear to support super large print. The stock ballot is very large print. I’ve seen blank ones with even larger print.
Why do places set up anything else, it’s old stable & cheap tech. Never could see any benefit to these weird push card ballots or touch screen.

Feb 4, 2009
If this is true, it puts the entire race in doubt.

I read about this the Senate part was in an inconvenient place on the ballot. I have no idea what inconvenient means in this context.

If it’s placed inconveniently like Question 1 on the MA ballot the people who missed it are lazy idiots.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Crazy thing to think about FL is that they have over 8,000,000 votes. 1% is still 80,000 votes.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Reliable vote counts are not hard. Back in the mid to late 90s we took standardized school tests by filling multiple choice bubbles on a Scantron sheet. Those sheets were fed into a machine and tabulated. I feel like some version of that tech is the most reliable and provides a secured paper backup.

Voter shows up at precinct.

Poll worker verifies voter is registered, name/address, ID if required etc.

Worker affixes a label with registered voter's unique ID number/barcode to a ballot (no personal identifiable info.)

Voter takes ballot to a privacy screened area to fill out the bubbles next to each candidate/question. If voter screws up the ballot, they get a new ballot and worker affixes a backup label.

Voter takes completed ballot to a machine and drops it for scanning. Ballot is read electronically, image is stored electronically for backup, and the paper is secured under lock in machine bin.

Machine tabulates the ballot and marks off registered voter as "voted".

If machine reads 2 bubbles for one office/question, ballot is flagged. If machine cannot read a bubble or scans missing questions, ballot is flagged. If voter's barcode label isn't read or missing, ballot is flagged.

All flagged ballots are reviewed daily or weekly prior to election night for early voting. On election night, flagged ballots are reviewed after polls close (both electronically and paper if necessary.) Anything that can't be matched back to a registered voter is discarded. Anything that's incomplete is only counted for the properly completed questions. Best effort made to determine which answer if a bubble is smudged/crossed out and another filled in. Corrected ballots are scanned and paper records still kept, along with record of authorized person who modified/certified the ballot.

All firmware and software used in this process must be hardened and secured to modern industry standards/platforms and all source code must be open to 3rd party validation/inspection.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
It's not rocket science! Every other functioning country manages to vote in an orderly way.

Most of the country manages just fine. It's we had the common sense to get rid of Florida entirely and make it part of Cuba there wouldn't be any problem.

We don't call it America's wang just because of the shape.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Most of the country manages just fine. It's we had the common sense to get rid of Florida entirely and make it part of Cuba there wouldn't be any problem.

We don't call it America's wang just because of the shape.
Would Cuba take it?

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Reliable vote counts are not hard. Back in the mid to late 90s we took standardized school tests by filling multiple choice bubbles on a Scantron sheet. Those sheets were fed into a machine and tabulated. I feel like some version of that tech is the most reliable and provides a secured paper backup.

Voter shows up at precinct.

Poll worker verifies voter is registered, name/address, ID if required etc.

Worker affixes a label with registered voter's unique ID number/barcode to a ballot (no personal identifiable info.)

Voter takes ballot to a privacy screened area to fill out the bubbles next to each candidate/question. If voter screws up the ballot, they get a new ballot and worker affixes a backup label.

Voter takes completed ballot to a machine and drops it for scanning. Ballot is read electronically, image is stored electronically for backup, and the paper is secured under lock in machine bin.

Machine tabulates the ballot and marks off registered voter as "voted".

If machine reads 2 bubbles for one office/question, ballot is flagged. If machine cannot read a bubble or scans missing questions, ballot is flagged. If voter's barcode label isn't read or missing, ballot is flagged.

All flagged ballots are reviewed daily or weekly prior to election night for early voting. On election night, flagged ballots are reviewed after polls close (both electronically and paper if necessary.) Anything that can't be matched back to a registered voter is discarded. Anything that's incomplete is only counted for the properly completed questions. Best effort made to determine which answer if a bubble is smudged/crossed out and another filled in. Corrected ballots are scanned and paper records still kept, along with record of authorized person who modified/certified the ballot.

All firmware and software used in this process must be hardened and secured to modern industry standards/platforms and all source code must be open to 3rd party validation/inspection.
Even better, mail out ballots like you describe and let people fill them out and drop them off at their leisure instead of waiting for hours on line when it isn't even a holiday.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
On a much smaller scale

https://fox6now.com/2018/11/08/dem-...s-discovered-all-results-hadnt-been-reported/

MILWAUKEE -- A suburban Assembly seat appears to have swung to the Democrats, after officials in Wauwatosa discovered that not all of the election results had been reported.

"Surprised that it happened here and with this candidate," said Dick Schmidt, lives in District 14.

"I think everyone knew it was going to be really close. It's been traditionally a Republican district," said Elizabeth Jablonski, lives in District 14.

There's been a change in who won the Assembly race for Wisconsin's 14th District. Democrat Robyn Vining declared victory Thursday, Nov. 8 after the updated totals showed her with a 132-vote margin over Republican Matt Adamczyk, out of roughly 33,000 ballots cast.

They basically didn't receive all the votes. And when they did, it swung the other way.
Honestly, I don't get how all these "missing votes" happen. It's mind boggling and happens EVERY ELECTION

Jan 25, 2011
FDLE who Scott dispatched to look into all that voter fraud in Florida... yeah they say no voter fraud, no evidence of voter fraud, not even an allegation of voter fraud. Because rick Scott never actually asked them to investigate. Comments in a press conference don’t drive investigations.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Electronic voting needs to die.

It's not electronic voting but rather electronic tabulating of votes
Even better, mail out ballots like you describe and let people fill them out and drop them off at their leisure instead of waiting for hours on line when it isn't even a holiday.

Works great here in CO.

Feb 4, 2009
I propose an amendment that requires FL to have 98% of their votes electronically counted within 72 hours of the last vote cast.
Broward county (spelling) has 48 hours, every hour that passes equals a .05% sales tax added to fund proper elections until the next election.
So tired of FL fucking this up so consistently

Reactions: Bitek

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
If Rs are complaining about somebody rigging an election, it's because they are ass-deep in doing that themselves.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Would Cuba take it?

Probably, seems like they're trying to take it one refugee at a time anyway. I think the trick is to make it look like we *want* to keep Florida and can't. As long as they think they're putting one over on us they won't stop to question what it is they're really getting.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I read about this the Senate part was in an inconvenient place on the ballot. I have no idea what inconvenient means in this context.

If it’s placed inconveniently like Question 1 on the MA ballot the people who missed it are lazy idiots.
The ballot here in Voulsia county, (Daytona area) had the senate race just underneath the governor race, IDK how anyone could miss it. Furthermore many, many millions of $$ was spent by both parties plastering every possible form of media for the last 4-6 weeks.
Even here in backwards, behind-the-times Nebraska, we have it, that's how I voted.
Yea, this HAS to be the way going forward, even if you don't get you ballot mailed to you successfully you would be able to pick one up and still vote. When your ballot is tallied your name is recorded as 'voted" and multiple attempts would then be ignored. Problem with the GOP approving that common-sense idea is they would then not be able to make poor/minority people wait in lines for hours until they get exhausted/frustrated and give up.

Reactions: nickqt

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Probably, seems like they're trying to take it one refugee at a time anyway. I think the trick is to make it look like we *want* to keep Florida and can't. As long as they think they're putting one over on us they won't stop to question what it is they're really getting.
This is really spurred by an unusually close, (again), election in FL, had either candidate won by 75,000+ votes none of this drama would be happening. Thing is there CAN'T be that many rich people in FL yet they keep voting for A-hole Scott who has screwed us over so many times I lost count. Here's an example, in 2013 I was laid off from a job I held for 15 years so I filed for unemployment. Not only is FL 49th in max weekly payout at 275/week Rick Scott had his own "system" installed, as employment numbers got better filers were only allowed to claim a reduced number of weeks. Everywhere else it's 6 months, then applicants had to take an "abilities" test online to qualify for benefits, this was a flash-based online app that crashed 3 times as i tried to complete it. My system was close to a high end one at the time and all updates were applied, finally, (6-7 hours later) I got it through. Your score was not relevant to benefits so they said it was a means to "judge your abilities" for future employment. The app could not be run from a smart phone or tablet and poor people who tried at public libraries often ran out of time and had to forfeit the computer to someone else. This was clearly an attempt to keep from paying benefits to those who had earned them and needed them desperately.