[fixed] Dragon Age 2 Low Performance on Nvidia Cards [fixed]

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
He isn't unique, he is more forgiving. With the new driver, graphic setting high + SSAO off + high def pack, the games is smooth, very playable. He didn't said he is playing at very high.

Of course, if it is very high + SSAO on that you are pursuing, there is yet a solution.

Ah, I did not get that from his post. Well then he is in the same position as myself, I have had to turn off DX11 to get the game to run properly.

On it's highest settings though I get 20fps.

To highlight the issue, there is no game out there I get 20fps on except this one. And DA2 is far, far from being a graphically impressive game.

This is the issue of the thread again. AMD cards are running this game maxed, while no matter what hardware setup, so long as it's nvidia DX11 based, you cannot.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Ah, I did not get that from his post. Well then he is in the same position as myself, I have had to turn off DX11 to get the game to run properly.

On it's highest settings though I get 20fps.

To highlight the issue, there is no game out there I get 20fps on except this one. And DA2 is far, far from being a graphically impressive game.

This is the issue of the thread again. AMD cards are running this game maxed, while no matter what hardware setup, so long as it's nvidia DX11 based, you cannot.

If it makes you feel any better i can only get 45FPS at 1600x900 with settings at High No AA or AF and the Hi res texture pack on. :p

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Here is the text from
Forum Home » Dragon Age II » Dragon Age II PC Technical Self Help

Hello Dragon Age II PC users.

We are aware that some people are having problems with running DX11 and Dragon Age II. We are investigating all issues, but before reporting your issues here please try the following:

1. Shut Down Dragon Age II
  2. Nvidia Card users, download the new Nvidia drivers here: Nvidia Drivers
  3. ATI Card users, download the new ATI drivers here: ATI Drivers
  4. Restart Dragon Age II

We’re currently working with AMD and nVidia on the following issues:

Severe slowdowns on very high details on nVidia (game running at less than 10 FPS). *Note: Some users are still reporting “low framerates” in the 30’s, assuming it should run better on their PC. The very high detail is very demanding from the hardware, especially when running at a very high resolution. Any of the following can be tried to improve performance:
    • Use a lower antialiasing setting or turn antialiasing off completely
    • Disable v-sync
    • Use lower anisotropic filtering levels
    • Disable the diffusion depth of field effect
    • Disable the screen space ambient occlusion effect
    • Reduce screen resolution
    • Reduce graphics detail.
    #2 Game hangs on ATI cards. This
  5. is the specific driver that is needed. Going to the AMD site to search for a driver may not give them this early preview driver they need.

#3 When trying to improve performance, make sure there are no custom options set in your video card control panel (NVIDIA control panel or Catalyst Control Center) and everything is set to defaults. Some of the options there may severely affect performance. Anti-aliasing transparency specifically has been seen to affect performance heavily.

If none of the above help resolve your issues, please post any information you can in this thread.
Evidently, some people do have problems with AMD cards. OMG :'(

AMD cards need a specific driver which was released on March 10
Catalyst 11.4 early preview

This is to help AMD people having problems, who are being told they are not.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Here is the text from
Forum Home » Dragon Age II » Dragon Age II PC Technical Self Help

Hello Dragon Age II PC users.

We are aware that some people are having problems with running DX11 and Dragon Age II. We are investigating all issues, but before reporting your issues here please try the following:

1. Shut Down Dragon Age II
  2. Nvidia Card users, download the new Nvidia drivers here: Nvidia Drivers
  3. ATI Card users, download the new ATI drivers here: ATI Drivers
  4. Restart Dragon Age II

We’re currently working with AMD and nVidia on the following issues:

Severe slowdowns on very high details on nVidia (game running at less than 10 FPS). *Note: Some users are still reporting “low framerates” in the 30’s, assuming it should run better on their PC. The very high detail is very demanding from the hardware, especially when running at a very high resolution. Any of the following can be tried to improve performance:
    • Use a lower antialiasing setting or turn antialiasing off completely
    • Disable v-sync
    • Use lower anisotropic filtering levels
    • Disable the diffusion depth of field effect
    • Disable the screen space ambient occlusion effect
    • Reduce screen resolution
    • Reduce graphics detail.
    #2 Game hangs on ATI cards. This
  5. is the specific driver that is needed. Going to the AMD site to search for a driver may not give them this early preview driver they need.

#3 When trying to improve performance, make sure there are no custom options set in your video card control panel (NVIDIA control panel or Catalyst Control Center) and everything is set to defaults. Some of the options there may severely affect performance. Anti-aliasing transparency specifically has been seen to affect performance heavily.

If none of the above help resolve your issues, please post any information you can in this thread.
Evidently, some people do have problems with AMD cards. OMG :'(

AMD cards need a specific driver which was released on March 10
Catalyst 11.4 early preview

Do you know if the AMD fix is for mobile parts? (i have a feeling it isnt)

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009

Yeah, that driver came out the same day as the game at least.

I balieve the AMD driver does work for mobile parts. I'm not 100% sure though.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
This game is heavy on ati too,playing high, with high res textures,2xaa 16 af,ssao 0ff,anything more than that i see dips in fps,cut scenes escpecially.60 fps for settings mentioned,i5 4ghz,5850 950/1250 8 gig ram.

I said it before. This game is probably just poorly coded.

Which is odd, cause DA:O ran beautifully.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Installed the hotfix for my 5870m ran through for about 5 mins with no hangups but i dont have time to play much at the moment. So good on AMD for fixing that (if it is truly fixed i will be playing more later to verify)

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
If it makes you feel any better i can only get 45FPS at 1600x900 with settings at High No AA or AF and the Hi res texture pack on. :p

That's more impressive when you realize that a mobile HD5870 is about as fast as the HD5770 on the desktop.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
That's more impressive when you realize that a mobile HD5870 is about as fast as the HD5770 on the desktop.

Yes, for $1000 with a 2 year warranty i couldn't say no. Now that i have added an SSD for boot and games, i must say it is a very nice setup add a mouse for gaming and it is like a portable gaming powerhouse.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
He isn't unique, he is more forgiving. With the new driver, graphic setting high + SSAO off + high def pack, the games is smooth, very playable. He didn't said he is playing at very high.

Of course, if it is very high + SSAO on that you are pursuing, there is yet a solution.

yes I did.. I'm playing MAX settings DX11 with a single 580 with the beta drivers..

SB i7 2600-k water cooled running at 4.5 ghz 16gigs of DDR 3 1600 on a first gen P67 ASUS board..
nothing fancy.

No stutters no hiccups no texture issues flat smooth performance.
at 1920x1200

chris2012

Mar 11, 2011
Too bad you're the only one with a 580 reporting "smooth" gameplay. Tons of people are using the beta drivers yet you manage something noone else has. Or, you simply sugar-coat it and .. quoting : " no stutters, no hiccups no texture issues " - with the beta drivers noone is getting that, however smooth performance is arguable as in: 580s with the beta drivers everything maxed run around 40 fps. Sure that's "smooth" but it ain't no 60 + which a card half its value from ATI manages to pull out.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I'm pretty sure his performance is the same as everyone else's. It's just alot of people have different ideas of what "smooth performance is." For some people ~20-25 fps is "smooth performance."

That's why he didn't bother to report his framerate, and just said "there's no slowdown."

I know people who think 18fps is playable in Crysis.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Too bad you're the only one with a 580 reporting "smooth" gameplay. Tons of people are using the beta drivers yet you manage something noone else has. Or, you simply sugar-coat it and .. quoting : " no stutters, no hiccups no texture issues " - with the beta drivers noone is getting that, however smooth performance is arguable as in: 580s with the beta drivers everything maxed run around 40 fps. Sure that's "smooth" but it ain't no 60 + which a card half its value from ATI manages to pull out.

I don't have FPS numbers and why would I? if it was hitching and not smooth then yes I would find a way to get the frame rate..
but this is an RPG its not about 200 fps and it doesn't need it.. its also not about bragging rights really who gives a flying fuck if your system can run dragon age at 6000 fps?
Its smooth the combat is fluid its pulling at least 40FPS which is ample for an RPG what do you people want? you cant even tell the difference on a game like this?

WoW and Rift don't pull high numbers either on top end setups but they are fluid and they don't lag and it doesn't hitch loading all the textures or in boss fights.. the only reason to have a powerful system in RPGs and MMOs is playability and greater resolutions which there is no issue with.

I think its a small E penis thing myself.. oh gee I cant play the game at 40-60 fps I need 6000000 to feel like a man.. This isnt Crysis.. and it doesnt play like crysis did on a crappy machine.

chris2012

Mar 11, 2011
Sure the game doesn't need 60 fps to be playable. But let's take a closer look to the situation shall we?

You have a gtx 580 - the fastest single-gpu on the market from nvidia. Not everyone can afford that, not even gonna go into sli-discussions. Yet not even on that card does it run fully smooth (60 fps). It's more around 40-45.

Personally i have a gtx 560 ti and average around 30-35 fps. I don't find that performance acceptable. 460s, 470s and 480s have even worse performance. You see, this game should be running on very high, maxed out on mid-range cards at 45~ish fps. High-end cards should max it np with constant 60+. Just like ATIs.

Simply because you don't really care to even check your fps it shows that you'd consider anything "smooth" as long as it doesn't have stutters (that includes 30 fps which is in no way smooth).

http://translate.google.hr/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgameshardware.de%2Faid%2C815403%2FDragon-Age-2-Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-mit-DirectX-11-und-DirectX-10-Radeons-vor-Geforce%2FRollenspiel-Adventure%2FTest%2F

That's a link to german benchmark of DA2. All Nvidia cards are getting crushed by ATI. They manage to perform twice as fast. Might not affect you, but it sure annoys me when i payed more for this card than i would have for an ati and at the same time get half the performance.

Last edited:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I don't have FPS numbers and why would I? if it was hitching and not smooth then yes I would find a way to get the frame rate..
but this is an RPG its not about 200 fps and it doesn't need it.. its also not about bragging rights really who gives a flying fuck if your system can run dragon age at 6000 fps?
Its smooth the combat is fluid its pulling at least 40FPS which is ample for an RPG what do you people want? you cant even tell the difference on a game like this?

WoW and Rift don't pull high numbers either on top end setups but they are fluid and they don't lag and it doesn't hitch loading all the textures or in boss fights.. the only reason to have a powerful system in RPGs and MMOs is playability and greater resolutions which there is no issue with.

I think its a small E penis thing myself.. oh gee I cant play the game at 40-60 fps I need 6000000 to feel like a man.. This isnt Crysis.. and it doesnt play like crysis did on a crappy machine.

I don't think that what they mean. You might find 40fps fine, others might not. If you can tell them the FPS then they can decide for themselves.

Also, if they are getting less FPS then you, maybe theres is something to did to fix it, so you could help them out. No need to be hostile.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
http://translate.google.hr/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgameshardware.de%2Faid%2C815403%2FDragon-Age-2-Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-mit-DirectX-11-und-DirectX-10-Radeons-vor-Geforce%2FRollenspiel-Adventure%2FTest%2F

In DirectX 11 mode, even the GeForce GTX 580 only 34 Avg fps, the game stutters reached at this frame rate
Situation is completely different from the part of AMD's Radeon: Even the Radeon HD 5850 draws to measure past Nvidia's flagship
5850 > 580 fps wise atm for Dragon Age II in directX 11.

In DirectX 10 mode dominate as before, the Radeon, but the frame rates are generally much higher: Even on a Geforce GTX 460 to play with over 30 fps on average, a Radeon HD 5770 easily crack the 40-fps Avg
5770 (40 fps) > 460 1GB (30 fps) fps wise atm for Dragon Age II in directX 10.

It just needs some driver fixing from nvidia, and things will probably get better.
But the problem isnt just for directx 11, its clear something is up even in dx10.

Last edited:

nib95

Jan 31, 2006
Surprised Nvidia let this one slip. Weren't Nvidia supposed to be better at drivers? I see this, along with ATI performance improving 11.4's and I'm starting to think otherwise...

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Surprised Nvidia let this one slip. Weren't Nvidia supposed to be better at drivers? I see this, along with ATI performance improving 11.4's and I'm starting to think otherwise...

AMD's Graphics division have been really getting their act together the past few years. Both with execution and design. A few years I would have told you, Nvidia was the better company.

AMD's CPU division could learn a thing or 2 from them.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Sure the game doesn't need 60 fps to be playable. But let's take a closer look to the situation shall we?

You have a gtx 580 - the fastest single-gpu on the market from nvidia. Not everyone can afford that, not even gonna go into sli-discussions. Yet not even on that card does it run fully smooth (60 fps). It's more around 40-45.

Personally i have a gtx 560 ti and average around 30-35 fps. I don't find that performance acceptable. 460s, 470s and 480s have even worse performance. You see, this game should be running on very high, maxed out on mid-range cards at 45~ish fps. High-end cards should max it np with constant 60+. Just like ATIs.

Simply because you don't really care to even check your fps it shows that you'd consider anything "smooth" as long as it doesn't have stutters (that includes 30 fps which is in no way smooth).

http://translate.google.hr/translat...deons-vor-Geforce/Rollenspiel-Adventure/Test/

That's a link to german benchmark of DA2. All Nvidia cards are getting crushed by ATI. They manage to perform twice as fast. Might not affect you, but it sure annoys me when i payed more for this card than i would have for an ati and at the same time get half the performance.

2hs2e0m.png

ooof. 5850 is faster than anything nvidia has. Well this is what I am trying to explain in this thread. 480 tri-sli is getting its ass kicked. Hope the fix comes soon before I am through the game :)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
2hs2e0m.png

ooof. 5850 is faster than anything nvidia has. Well this is what I am trying to explain in this thread. 480 tri-sli is getting its ass kicked. Hope the fix comes soon before I am through the game :)

Wait, you're still playing the game? Why? Why not wait for a fix?