First Intel Build - Looking for suggestions to my current parts list.

llRU5TYNUT5ll

Jan 4, 2018
Hello to everyone. This will be my first post to this forum.

I am looking for some guidance on what parts to choose for my first build. Over the last few weeks I have browsed around the web looking at different posts on this forum others along with countless YouTube videos and decided to post my proposed list and get some feedback. Please know that I am a novice and would appreciate any positive feedback that helps me make the right choice in parts for my intended use which I will post below. Within the next 2 weeks I plan to start buying all the parts needed so this is not a fantasy build and your feedback will actually be used. I do plan do repost this on at least 1 or 2 other sites merely for exposure.

This PC will almost exclusively be used for wired online gaming. I realize that on some if not most games there is likely little difference between High & ultra-settings for graphics but I want to be wowed coming from using consoles my whole life.

Here is a rough percentage breakdown of what this machine will be used for:

Gaming (90%)

*Max/Ultra settings with a min frame rate of 60FPS* (if Possible)

· World of Tanks (50%)

· Rainbow Six Siege (30%)

· MMO & MMORPG (15%)

· Simulators like DCS (5%)

Multimedia (10%)

*I’m not an audiophile but I do own some nice headphones and would like decent sound reproduction for music. However, I do want good sound for FPS Games. I currently have an Astro Mixamp pro that I use with my XB1*

· Movies (50%)

· Music (50%)

For gaming, I would prefer to have a 1440p 27” or larger 21:9 144Hz Monitor. I like the idea of a 21:9 but looking at the pricing I’m not sure if I can afford that. Let me know in the comments. I really want a refresh rate above 60Hz at a minimum.

Lastly, the color scheme and visual ascetics don’t really matter much to me. Although, I would like a decent looking case if some of the components are RGB anyways. It would be nice to see them.

Budget: I cannot exceed $3000 after any rebates, taxes, or shipping if possible or my wife will kill me. I would prefer to be closer to $2500 but I am not going to skimp on anything if it can be helped. Please note that this must include everything I need for a working system including the mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, & Operating system so suggestion on peripherals is welcome. I don’t have a mouse or keyboard preference. The ones I picked seemed to be popular amongst gamers.

Looking forward to hearing your input.

Here is a link to my “Proposed” list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/v7Qmyf

Here is a link to my "Modified" list based on feedback: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Svtsilversnake/saved/djcPsY

Thanks a bunch Guys & Gals.

Edit: Modified parts list link added

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Well, I clicked on your build and saw: Intel i7-7700k (4 cores + 4 HT) Kaby Lake

I stopped right there. With a $3000 budget (and a big focus on gaming) you should really be selecting an i7-8700k (6 cores + 6 HT) Coffee Lake CPU.

That will also require you to choose a Z370 motherboard, which will likely require you to select different RAM that appears on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL list, or by using the "RAM finder" tool on the RAM manufacturer's website.

llRU5TYNUT5ll

Jan 4, 2018
Well, I clicked on your build and saw: Intel i7-7700k (4 cores + 4 HT) Kaby Lake

I stopped right there. With a $3000 budget (and a big focus on gaming) you should really be selecting an i7-8700k (6 cores + 6 HT) Coffee Lake CPU.

That will also require you to choose a Z370 motherboard, which will likely require you to select different RAM that appears on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL list, or by using the "RAM finder" tool on the RAM manufacturer's website.
Ok, What would be the reasoning for this? Just trying to learn. I looked for that CPU and it doesn't pull up on PC part picker for some reason but I did locate it on amazon and whilst its not that much more expensive how much more performance are we really talking? Like I said just trying to learn.

Thanks for your input.

Edit: I couldn't see it on PC part picker because of the compatibility filter.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok, What would be the reasoning for this? Just trying to learn. I looked for that CPU and it doesn't pull up on PC part picker for some reason but I did locate it on amazon and whilst its not that much more expensive how much more performance are we really talking? Like I said just trying to learn.

Outside of this:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-review/

The best gaming CPU you can buy

It is Intel's first mainstream 6 core CPU. So like I mentioned in my first post, it gives you 6 cores + 6 Hyper-threading.
The 7700k has been out for over a year, and only has 4 cores + 4 hyper-threading. Future games will perform better with access to more cores.

It doesn't make sense to build a PC that you are spending a pretty penny on, and will be keeping for at least several years, on yesterday's tech. The 8700k is in high demand, so it is selling over MSRP right now by about $30-$50, but if you have a Micro Center near you, they usually have them in stock, or you can order one online like from here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1356634-REG/intel_bx80684i78700k_core_i7_8700k_3_7_ghz.html

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ive also added a modified parts list based on your feed back. what other suggestion do you have?

About the only things that stand out to me are:

1. I don't do water-cooling, so no advice on if that's a good unit or if there are better ones. Someone who is into that should be along at some point to let you know.

2. I'd get a different PSU. The one you have listed isn't a bad unit per se, but there are better ones for usually the same amount (or less). Like the EVGA G3:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y8...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

The Seasonic Focus Plus Gold:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wr...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

And finally a Corsair unit:

The TX-M:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139207

PSUs have very variable pricing. One day a top-of-the-line unit costs less than their mid-range unit, and then a few days later it can jump back up. You can keep an eye out on another couple of really good units that aren't on sale right now like:

EVGA G2
Corsair RMx
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum
Seasonic Prime

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Since you are spending that kind of money, I would get the a SeaSonic brand Gold or better PSU. I did a build for about little more then you are planning to spend back in 2013 and I gotten a SeaSonic Gold PSU and never had a problem with it.

llRU5TYNUT5ll

Jan 4, 2018
Oh, and one last thing. Surely you splurge another $30 over the 850 EVO and get a nice, fast NVMe drive for your operating system, right? ;)

https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/m...-m.2-pcie-gen3-x4-nvme-ssd-mdnvme80-bpx-0512/

They're not needed, but man are they fast! :)

I plan to install the OS and maybe a few games on the 500GB SSD. I dont really know how NVME Drives work although i have see a few videos on them. would it make more sense to go with a smaller SSD like a 250g to save money and add the NVME Drive for just the OS? or does it not work like that?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I plan to install the OS and maybe a few games on the 500GB SSD. I dont really know how NVME Drives work although i have see a few videos on them. would it make more sense to go with a smaller SSD like a 250g to save money and add the NVME Drive for just the OS? or does it not work like that?

Not really. The smaller the SSD, generally the worse the performance it has (I could get technical on why, but I won't clutter your thread up with it). If you want to stay with a SSD, I'd stay with a 480GB and up for best overall experience/performance.

Really a NVMe drive works pretty much like a SSD, except that it goes into a M.2 slot or in a PCIe slot (like where you plug your video card in) in the form of an add-in card. If you wanted to get a NVMe drive, you'd simply buy one instead of the 850 EVO, and use the traditional hard drive for your games and large programs just like you planned to in your PcPartpicker list.

NVMe drives that plug into your M.2 slot are about the same size as a stick of bubble gum.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
The case you selected is a pretty budget option that doesn't match the rest of the high-end build. If you want to get Fractal they just released their new flagship R6 case, which is available with or without a glass window and in different colours. For something cheaper but still good I can personally recommend the Define S, but the Meshify C should also be good albeit a bit small. The two latter cases don't support a DVD drive, in case that's a deal-breaker for you.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The case you selected is a pretty budget option that doesn't match the rest of the high-end build. If you want to get Fractal they just released their new flagship R6 case.

I hadn't noticed they released that yet. The picture angles on Newegg make it look crazy deep, but it's about the same depth as the R5.
Fractal Design make some great cases, I love my R5.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
I hadn't noticed they released that yet. The picture angles on Newegg make it look crazy deep, but it's about the same depth as the R5.
Fractal Design make some great cases, I love my R5.

Yeah it's very recent, it was released just before christmas. If I were buying a new case today it would be very high on my list, though I do hope they come out with a "Meshify S" before I actually need a new case. :)

llRU5TYNUT5ll

Jan 4, 2018
Not really. The smaller the SSD, generally the worse the performance it has (I could get technical on why, but I won't clutter your thread up with it). If you want to stay with a SSD, I'd stay with a 480GB and up for best overall experience/performance.

Really a NVMe drive works pretty much like a SSD, except that it goes into a M.2 slot or in a PCIe slot (like where you plug your video card in) in the form of an add-in card. If you wanted to get a NVMe drive, you'd simply buy one instead of the 850 EVO, and use the traditional hard drive for your games and large programs just like you planned to in your PcPartpicker list.

NVMe drives that plug into your M.2 slot are about the same size as a stick of bubble gum.
Ok, Looking at the pricing on the M.2 drives I could go with maybe a 250g that would be around the same price point. would this only be for the operating system? the pricing i see looks to bee a good bit more expensive than SSD's unless I am missing something.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok, Looking at the pricing on the M.2 drives I could go with maybe a 250g that would be around the same price point. would this only be for the operating system? the pricing i see looks to bee a good bit more expensive than SSD's unless I am missing something.

NVMe drives since they are faster, they cost more. The 480GB MyDigitalSSD BPX I linked to above for $187 is the best "budget" NVMe drive at the moment. Most of the other NVMe drives (like the 960 EVO) are $230+ for 500GB versions. Although NAND prices are finally starting to drop, so maybe over the next year we will see the 500GB 960 EVO on sale for $199 again, which will drop the price of competing drives.

If it comes down to either having a 500GB SSD or a 250GB NVMe drive, I'd go with the larger SSD. Small NVMe drives like SSDs are lower performance, and 250 GB isn't enough space in my opinion.

llRU5TYNUT5ll

Jan 4, 2018
The case you selected is a pretty budget option that doesn't match the rest of the high-end build. If you want to get Fractal they just released their new flagship R6 case, which is available with or without a glass window and in different colours. For something cheaper but still good I can personally recommend the Define S, but the Meshify C should also be good albeit a bit small. The two latter cases don't support a DVD drive, in case that's a deal-breaker for you.
The case aesthetics don't matter much to me. I don't have a need for an optical drive either. I would consider a better looking case if it is close to this price point which the Define S seems to be. The ones I saw on PC part picker for the most part were over $100 and I really wanted to keep my dollars tied into the components since that is where it counts. The case does not have to be a fractal so any suggestions for case around ~$100 that would look decent and preferably have a clear side panel I am open to.

Thanks for your input.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
What I do is use a 250g nvme 960 for boot/apps, 500 gig ssd for games, and a hard drive for media.

llRU5TYNUT5ll

Jan 4, 2018
One thing that would be nice to know is if my graphics card selection is overkill in anyway. Would I be giving up much with the games that are listed in terms of quality of textures and FPS?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
One thing that would be nice to know is if my graphics card selection is overkill in anyway. Would I be giving up much with the games that are listed in terms of quality of textures and FPS?

With the very detailed gaming info/requirements you listed in your OP, no it will not be overkill. I'm sure there will be new games that will be added to that list at some point.

Anyways, with the GTX 1070, 1070ti, and GTX 1080 being well over MSRP right now (and not easy to find it stock many times), spending the extra money on card that should last you several years is a smart decision.

llRU5TYNUT5ll

Jan 4, 2018
Ok, One more question. In another post it was mentioned that this case doesn't match the components. what suggestion do you have on the best looking/quality case for under $120? i really would like front panel usb 3.0 at least 1, and also a min of 2 drive cages for the SSD (if not using m.2) and the 1tb Drive.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok, One more question. In another post it was mentioned that this case doesn't match the components. what suggestion do you have on the best looking/quality case for under $120? i really would like front panel usb 3.0 at least 1, and also a min of 2 drive cages for the SSD (if not using m.2) and the 1tb Drive.

Cases are a very personal choice. Some people like ones that look like rejected Transformer robots. Some like all glass. Some like huge cases, and some want cases that glow like the Northern Lights. ;)

But I will say I own two Fractal Design R5 cases with side windows. Love them. Threw an extra 140mm fan in the front, and it is cool and quiet (which is what I am after). I bought them on sale both times at Newegg for around $80.

But there are many good choices out there. If you look through our cases and cooling sub-forum, you probably will see quite a few you like or that are recommended.

llRU5TYNUT5ll

Jan 4, 2018
So I was just looking at the graphics card I had picked and noticed there was no price showing. I know for a fact I looked at it on superbiz yesterday and they had stock but apparently they sold out of what they had. Its now showing new egg has stock on them but when I go to their website it says out of stock for that model, which is "O"11g version on PC part picker.

I looked around and every where I do find the Strix GTX1080ti is over the $700-$800 price it showed just yesterday.

What gives?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So I was just looking at the graphics card I had picked and noticed there was no price showing. I know for a fact I looked at it on superbiz yesterday and they had stock but apparently they sold out of what they had. Its now showing new egg has stock on them but when I go to their website it says out of stock for that model, which is "O"11g version on PC part picker.

I looked around and every where I do find the Strix GTX1080ti is over the $700-$800 price it showed just yesterday.

What gives?
The 1080Ti is the most expensive card from Nvidia that is made for gaming. It is also very popular as well, so it is quite common to find it out of stock.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

What gives?

Video card pricing and availability is horrible right now because of crypto mining. If you look at the value of Bitcoin, you compare it to the cost of a video card, they almost match up perfectly. When Bitcoin goes up, so does video cards. When it goes down, the GPU prices begin to fall back towards MSRP.

The prices actually began to decline in October and November after being over MSRP for 6-9 months because the value of mining (like Bitcoin) began to fall a little, so miners quit adding cards.

But then in December the mining started going back up, and it has been horrible ever since. To give you an example, I bought a MSI RX 580 in the middle of November for $230 at Newegg. That same card (when in stock) is now over $330.

You will have to use a site like NowInStock to catch GPUs in stock, and buy it quickly when you see it, because it will sell out.

Last edited:

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
The case aesthetics don't matter much to me. I don't have a need for an optical drive either. I would consider a better looking case if it is close to this price point which the Define S seems to be. The ones I saw on PC part picker for the most part were over $100 and I really wanted to keep my dollars tied into the components since that is where it counts. The case does not have to be a fractal so any suggestions for case around ~$100 that would look decent and preferably have a clear side panel I am open to.

Thanks for your input.

I understand the sentiment of keeping the dollars where it matters, but it's not like you're on a (tight) budget here either, and spending up to 5% of the build on the case isn't what I would call excessive. Cases are more than aesthetics, better cases will tend to have better engineering solutions and quality, often making them easier to build in and have good ventilation and/or noise suppression(these two characteristics are often at odds with eachother, to some degree).

Of course it's your money and your choice, but I don't think you would regret buying the R5 for instance. It's been out for a couple years now and is universally loved. The cooling is good but not the best, as the case focuses more on staying quiet.