First! Fusion Net Energy Gain

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Considering that Fusion is the key that unlocks all the solutions to our current predicament its weird not more money is thrown at it.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
In the meantime, Romania goes on with construction of the small nuclear reactors, apparently will be first in the world, because the costs are smaller than those in USA, where the parent company stopped the project. The advantages are that it's built on the site of an old coal power station, so all the adiacent infrastructure is already in place.

https://www-libertatea-ro.translate..._sl=ro&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ro&_x_tr_pto=wapp

article already translated from ro-en

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Considering that Fusion is the key that unlocks all the solutions to our current predicament its weird not more money is thrown at it.
Because they are wasting everyone's time and money with hot fusion. Neutrons being neutral don't listen to magnetism and pound away at the walls of the reactor. Making it highly radioactive and diminishing it's life time of use.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Because they are wasting everyone's time and money with hot fusion. Neutrons being neutral don't listen to magnetism and pound away at the walls of the reactor. Making it highly radioactive and diminishing it's life time of use.
Meh

Use a lithium blanket and use the neutrons to breed more tritium fuel.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Meh

Use a lithium blanket and use the neutrons to breed more tritium fuel.
We will see. I'll be long dead before we get 1 watt from one of those devices. The high energy physics world needs a new Paradyme. If only we had a quadrillion volt atom smasher we would figure out how the world works. Great career with no need for results.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I am assuming we need a fusion setup that can be sustained indefinitely for the energy it produces to become... profitable / useful. Assuming those two words are the same for this.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Small steps. In the meantime we'll hope that climate change doesn't set us back 1000 years. Whatever optimism I had for the resiliency of modern society (American at least) was pretty much removed by the mild emergency of Covid and how insane and political people got.

Breakthroughs happen and they have to start somewhere.

You just have to look hard at the grifters just looking for funding for nonsense, which is most of them. Like the "solar roadways" that got everyone excited a few years ago.

Storage tech in particular is moving forward, and that in my layman's understanding is what will really help solar and wind.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Small steps. In the meantime we'll hope that climate change doesn't set us back 1000 years. Whatever optimism I had for the resiliency of modern society (American at least) was pretty much removed by the mild emergency of Covid and how insane and political people got.

Breakthroughs happen and they have to start somewhere.

You just have to look hard at the grifters just looking for funding for nonsense, which is most of them. Like the "solar roadways" that got everyone excited a few years ago.

Storage tech in particular is moving forward, and that in my layman's understanding is what will really help solar and wind.
My outlook is still depressed as hell for the next century. Barring a miracle, I don't know how we dig ourselves out of this hole. Scientists estimate we are using 1.6 Earth's worth of resources. We need a dramatic change in resource utilization to preserve humanity long term.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
My outlook is still depressed as hell for the next century. Barring a miracle, I don't know how we dig ourselves out of this hole. Scientists estimate we are using 1.6 Earth's worth of resources. We need a dramatic change in resource utilization to preserve humanity long term.
Well the glimmer of hope is the following;

IMG_5810.jpeg

GDP and carbon emissions are becoming uncoupled.

World population should peak this century and begin to slowly decline.

1920px-World_population_growth%2C_1700-2100%2C_2022_revision.png

This I think is fundamentally good with a few caveats. The reduction in population needs to be slow enough that worker productivity increases can offset the gdp loss. The reduction in population means less impact on the environment and that each individual worker is worth more.

Needless to say many conservative groups are extremely concerned about reductions in population.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wind, solar, and battery farms. Solar and wind are dirt cheap.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yea, Fusion is going to be late to the game and we're collectively not doing enough to curb missions globally.
So. We're going to get aerosol injections to the stratosphere interim until our technology catches up.

"Climate Engineering" they call it.

What could possibly go wrong right? Meh. Lets get this thing done.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yea, Fusion is going to be late to the game and we're collectively not doing enough to curb missions globally.
So. We're going to get aerosol injections to the stratosphere interim until our technology catches up.

"Climate Engineering" they call it.

What could possibly go wrong right? Meh. Lets get this thing done.
Should dump iron into the oceans to feed CO2 chomping bacteria.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
What "we'd"?

Hell 40% of the population (or some high %) doesn't even believe there's a problem, that it's all a lie. Facts are what fits your beliefs these days, not the other way around.

We couldn't even come together to fight a damn virus. We just got damn lucky it was relatively harmless (compared to what it could have been) and it still fucked up economies for years and gave us something to fling poo at each other over.

"I ain't spendin' my scratch-off money to pay George Soros over no hoax!" We are fucked, or not, and either way it'll be dumb luck...or due to some breakthrough that makes someone a ton of money. Or aliens intervening, though at this point we'd be well-advised to not advertise our existence until we become sane...they might just call their galactic exterminators to nip the problem of humanity off in the bud.

Last edited: