First! Fusion Net Energy Gain

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I think Romania is going to be a testing ground for the SMR. Hopefully it's a success

I've been conditioned to believe anything SMR-related is shit.

CMR/PMR for the win.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

One person opposed to a shotgun approach as a waste of money.
Probably - once the grid infrastructure is upgraded and some companies develop longer term grid level energy storage options. The current grid level storage systems are based around something like 4 hours of storage. I'm still for building newer Gen 4 fission reactors, but the NRC has been dragging their butts on approvals for even pilot plants for the past 10-15 years. There are many options for more friendly fuel cycles, the ability to use existing nuclear 'waste' as a fuel source, etc., etc. Reliable baseload capacity. Just stop putting them near lakes, oceans and highly active earthquake zones.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yep. Hot fusion sure is.
Yep, super high energy plasmas don't like to behave in a uniform and predictable manner. Shocking.

Oh, but Helion is special (hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!). Stupid technology isn't even new. Investors sure are gullible.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yep. Hot fusion sure is.
I think workable cold fusion systems will come out about the same time as room temperature superconductors. Which could easily be never as they are well past our current knowledge of materials science. I know, I'm a nattering ninny of negativism :p

Reactions: Ken g6

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think workable cold fusion systems will come out about the same time as room temperature superconductors. Which could easily be never as they are well past our current knowledge of materials science. I know, I'm a nattering ninny of negativism :p
Yep. Physics is a crazy science these days. I've seen several papers that claim the Coulomb barrier at extremely short distances does not exist. It's an essential part of Lattice Confinement Fusion, H2 or D2 when absorbed in nano cracks of certain metals can fuse due to how close the atoms are to each other. In a tokomak they are trying to squeeze extremely hot gas to fuse in a strong magnetic field. I find that a hard stretch. They are stuck on how they "think" the sun does fusion.
Anyway, yea, someone needs to redo their experiments for room temp superconductivity.
There is physics base on physical reality, but there is more physics based on mathematical constructs that may not reflect actual physical reality.

Stunning room-temperature-superconductor claim is retracted (nature.com)

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yep. Physics is a crazy science these days. I've seen several papers that claim the Coulomb barrier at extremely short distances does not exist. It's an essential part of Lattice Confinement Fusion, H2 or D2 when absorbed in nano cracks of certain metals can fuse due to how close the atoms are to each other. In a tokomak they are trying to squeeze extremely hot gas to fuse in a strong magnetic field. I find that a hard stretch. They are stuck on how they "think" the sun does fusion.
Anyway, yea, someone needs to redo their experiments for room temp superconductivity.
There is physics base on physical reality, but there is more physics based on mathematical constructs that may not reflect actual physical reality.

My extremely ill-informed bigbrain theory about a lot of edge physics is that most of this shit is just coded as an approximation in our simulation, never intended to be probed by an intelligence, therefore seems illogical at first blush. Throw galactic rotation, the constant discovery of earlier and earlier galaxies of advanced formation which make no sense, and the lack of comingling of classic and quantum physics in that same bucket.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
More reason for hope from solar:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
More reason for hope from solar:

Yes, and consider that the charts and graphs in that article stop at 2021 and aren't taking into account Russia's war in Ukraine which is causing a massive speedup of solar and wind deployment. Posted this in the Ukraine thread.

“Renewables [will] become the largest source of global electricity generation by early 2025, surpassing coal,” it added.

According to its “main-case forecast,” the IEA expects renewables to account for nearly 40% of worldwide electricity output in 2027, coinciding with a fall in the share of coal, natural gas and nuclear generation.

In its largest-ever upward revision to its renewable power forecast, the IEA now expects the world’s renewable capacity to surge by nearly 2,400 gigawatts between 2022 and 2027 — the same amount as the “entire installed power capacity of China today.”

EIA is saying the world will more than double its rewnewables capacity in the next 4 years.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

More on the is modern physics representing the physical world, or just math.

First article really needs some deep understanding of sets.

This one was very understandable and interesting.

Does Time Really Flow? New Clues Come From a Century-Old Approach to Math. | Quanta Magazine

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Gisin speaks of making choices in adding precision to numbers. Is he referring to experimental design where how the number is observed determines the next digit? Intuitionist math has appeal in that eventually one hits a quantum limit in measuring things beyond which more digits are pointless. If math is to be employed as a model of how the universe works then it makes some sense that numbers are truncated when they reach the edge of what can be measured.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
That experiment briefly achieved what's known as fusion ignition by generating 3.15 megajoules of energy output after the laser delivered 2.05 megajoules to the target, the Energy Department said.
Input 2.05 MJ.
Output 3.15 MJ.

Nicely done. Now the trick will be to keep it running. And, probably more scaling.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So, when will my Apple Watch battery last a year??? Thats what I'm waiting for with this technology. A better battery. ;)

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
You want a fusion reactor on your wrist? WTF
Everyone knows it goes in your chest.
F8I8JZBGDRPMVCQ.jpg