First dead Halliburton employee

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
haha, bush can't get int'l peace keepers in there without giving up reconstruction contracts and now its going to be even harder to find american contractors willing to go over there. :D

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: alchemize
I wonder why Moonbeam hasn't chirped in on this thread yet.

I think he might actually be smart enough to stay out...Don't quote me on that.

His only recourse would be to defend his buddy BF because agreeing with us that BF is an asshole and should have his citizenship revoked would be so un-Moonieish and he might lose his sheepdom status
The usual cooperative verbal stroking is notably absent, isn't it. I can assume from this the following

1) Moonbeam either directly or indirectly supports BF's statement. He reads and posts to virtually all threads, this one is long, so we can assume he's read it.

2) BF has been notably absent on this thread as well. So either he stands by his words, or isn't man enough to admit he's wrong. Either way he's still a POS.

3) Looks like we can add JJSole to the POS list with his comment:

haha, bush can't get int'l peace keepers in there without giving up reconstruction contracts and now its going to be even harder to find american contractors willing to go over there.

4) Oh yah, and GuyJudoHumpingClub says I'm a slave to my TV and my tinfoil hat isn't helping.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
It's funny what hypocrites some of you are. You guys cheer on shock and awe, cheer on scud missiles, cheer on anything US related that killed thousands and thousands of innocents. The poor kid on TV who lost both of his arms and is now an orphan. Well I'm cheering on the people who attack Haliburton workers trying to steal the Iraqis' oil. They knew the consequences of going into Iraq. I guess it doesn't pay to go into a foreign country and steal. Too bad.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
It's funny what hypocrites some of you are. You guys cheer on shock and awe, cheer on scud missiles, cheer on anything US related that killed thousands and thousands of innocents. The poor kid on TV who lost both of his arms and is now an orphan. Well I'm cheering on the people who attack Haliburton workers trying to steal the Iraqis' oil. They knew the consequences of going into Iraq. I guess it doesn't pay to go into a foreign country and steal. Too bad.

I thought he was going in there for work and to repair and clean up the oil wells. I did not know that this dead man was going over there to steak oil, thanks for clarifying that :|

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
And so, you affirm that your number one piece of sh*t status well earned. Congrats.

Yes, all those evil people delivering mail to the military must die. Was he secreting the oil in his empty mailbag?

You are devoid of morals, devoid of any validated position, devoid of any human character. A walking douchebag.

P.S. I challenge you to find any post from me, or any of the AT "war supporting" regulars that say something anywhere near as callous as you did about iraqi civilian casualties.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I read this in the New York Times, it's about the Haliburton employee:

An American civilian was killed today when the mail truck he was driving was blown up by a homemade explosive north of the town of Tikrit, military officials said here today.
The employee, working for KBR, a subsidiary of H<ORG idsrc="NYSE" value="HAL"><ALT-CODE idsrc="NYSE" value="Halliburton Company" />alliburton, w</ORG>as driving in an area still regarded as a war zone by military officials and near the hometown of Saddam Hussein

His job, indirectly helped with the moral of the troops in country.
Nothing is more important at the moment than when you get a letter or package from home.
Sad that he was lost, as all he was trying to do was make a living and bring good news.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
I read this in the New York Times, it's about the Haliburton employee: An American civilian was killed today when the mail truck he was driving was blown up by a homemade explosive north of the town of Tikrit, military officials said here today. The employee, working for KBR, a subsidiary of <ORG value="HAL" idsrc="NYSE"><ALT-CODE value="Halliburton Company" idsrc="NYSE" />Halliburton</ORG>, was driving in an area still regarded as a war zone by military officials and near the hometown of Saddam Hussein His job, indirectly helped with the moral of the troops in country. Nothing is more important at the moment than when you get a letter or package from home. Sad that he was lost, as all he was trying to do was make a living and bring good news.

they get paid hundreds of millions+ with this contract to deliver mail??? THATS a tragedy.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
How is a Halliburton employee delivering mail?? Isnt that the job of a military mail man or something?

Something smells fishy.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The guy is a civilian in a warzone. Unlike the soldiers, noone ordered him to go to Iraq. He went on his own free will. He took the risk and lost. Sad, nothing to glee over, but not suprising.
End of story.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperTool
The guy is a civilian in a warzone. Unlike the soldiers, noone ordered him to go to Iraq. He went on his own free will. He took the risk and lost. Sad, nothing to glee over, but not suprising.
End of story.
I agree with all of that. It's a few members "gleeing" (namely the starter of the thread) that have those of us with humanity steamed

:frown:

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
C'mon people! Does it not seem a little odd, that an oil company employee is delivering mail to the soldiers?

Hmmm, seems like the wrong person to be doing that....

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: shuan24
C'mon people! Does it not seem a little odd, that an oil company employee is delivering mail to the soldiers?

Lemme put it to your this way, Because if the non-competitive bid each four man crew is costing the USG $25,000 a day (about 15K over the standard rate). Now would'nt you want to maximize your employee base when you can charge this? Every employee you add is a windfall of profit.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo

Lemme put it to your this way, Because if the non-competitive bid each four man crew is costing the USG $25,000 a day (about 15K over the standard rate). Now would'nt you want to maximize your employee base when you can charge this? Every employee you add is a windfall of profit.

Zebo, link to where you got that information please.

Halliburton:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: etech

Halliburton:

Do you remember that Army Core of Engineer general who was complaing about the outragous crew costs KBR was charging in a link a couple months back? If you can find that story it's in there..

Also this type of work is not unusual for KBR..

"KBR Government Operations provides a diverse range of services to all
branches of the United States military and other Department of Defense and
government agencies. As "Force Multipliers," we perform the support tasks
that allow troops and government clients to focus on their primary mission.

We became military contractors in 1942 when Brown Shipbuilding Company built
the first of 359 ships for the US Navy at our Greens Bayou Fabrication Yard,
Houston, Texas. Since then, KBR has become the premier provider of logistics
and support services to all branches of the military. Our capabilities range
from complex, fast-track construction, logistics and support services in
remote, militarized locations to day-to-day base operations support. We
leverage the assets and strengths of other Halliburton companies and
personnel to provide innovative solutions to any problem. "

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
If you read what they do and are expanding into, it's the front wave of Rumsfelds 'Contracting Milatary Support'.
It's been mentioned here before, they do that sort of thing, and here it is in action,
All high risk jobs have consequences.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: etech

Halliburton:

Do you remember that Army Core of Engineer general who was complaing about the outragous crew costs KBR was charging in a link a couple months back? If you can find that story it's in there..

Also this type of work is not unusual for KBR..

"KBR Government Operations provides a diverse range of services to all
branches of the United States military and other Department of Defense and
government agencies. As "Force Multipliers," we perform the support tasks
that allow troops and government clients to focus on their primary mission.

We became military contractors in 1942 when Brown Shipbuilding Company built
the first of 359 ships for the US Navy at our Greens Bayou Fabrication Yard,
Houston, Texas. Since then, KBR has become the premier provider of logistics
and support services to all branches of the military. Our capabilities range
from complex, fast-track construction, logistics and support services in
remote, militarized locations to day-to-day base operations support. We
leverage the assets and strengths of other Halliburton companies and
personnel to provide innovative solutions to any problem. "

Nope, I don't remember that story. I would like you to provide the link where you got those specific numbers, not some vague it was in a story months ago. Can you provide the link or not?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
vague? I said I read and posted it a couple months back. Take it of leave it. If you want me to sift though old posts for you it aint gonna happen.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
vague? I said I read and posted it a couple months back. Take it of leave it. If you want me to sift though old posts for you it aint gonna happen.

I'll leave it thank you very much. As of now I'll just put it down to your imagination and leave it at that unless you wish to prove yourself with something more verifiable.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Al Gore's National Performance Review

"That work received favorable notices throughout the Clinton administration. For example, Vice President Al Gore's National Performance Review mentioned Halliburton's performance in its Report on Reinventing the Department of Defense, issued in September 1996. In a section titled "Outsourcing of Logistics Allows Combat Troops to Stick to Basics," Gore's reinventing-government team favorably mentioned LOGCAP, the cost-plus-award system, and Brown & Root, which the report said provided "basic life support services ? food, water, sanitation, shelter, and laundry; and the full realm of logistics services ? transportation, electrical, hazardous materials collection and disposal, fuel delivery, airfield and seaport operations, and road maintenance."

"
You were saying...?

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
I've only read the first page but some of the discussion reminded me of the death star argument in clerks, where all the "innocent" workers on the deathstar were killed while it was under construction, but they knew it was dangerous and they put money ahead of their own lives and they died for greed.

Bigdude

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fell8
So Fell, don't be a chickensh1t, tell us who it is you think *needs* to die.
(funny how, nowadays, it's treason to say a traitor should die)

Just an unnamed traitor (or two) who have managed, in a very short time, to rob many honest, decent, hard-working citizens (and non-citizens) of this great country of their money, freedom, and lives.

Clinton is the only person that I can think of!