Firefox Beta 2.0 candidate is out to play

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
How does the new release work with current extensions?

Can't live without my extensions!

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Its not the fact that it uses so much ram that is bad, its the fact that the ram usage inevitably leads to firefox freezing and crashing.

Get another gig!

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
After installing and playing with a couple FF betas and the whole FF 1.5 debacle, I absolutely refuse to install any FF beta. Furthermore, I absolutely refuse to install an updated version of FF until several months after it's initial release and it's well on its way to being patched several times.

laugh

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
I don't care opensource/evil M$/Opera the fastest browser in the universe, I just use whatever I feel comfortable.

For now, I use IE 6.0 and Opera 9.0 everyday. I used to fan FF a lot but this bloatware drives me nuts and those extensions eat memory like hogs. My favorite is absolutely Opera 9.0 so far. It's fast, secured, with many neat features (like page zoom).

If FF can start as fast as Opera/IE and cures its damn memory leak (com'on, hire some good programmer please! or lure someone from Microsoft), I would use it again, along with Opera and IE.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
I used to use Opera exclusively, for the reasons mentioned above.

Then I just ran into too many pages that Opera simply wouldn't load. Pages I had to use for work - from major companies.

I ended up switching to Firefox - it does everything I need it to do. I haven't noticed any memory issues - maybe because I have enough RAM.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: neutralizer
Originally posted by: LoKe
Originally posted by: neutralizer
I love firefox, but the memory usage on this thing is ridiculous. 90 MB atm with 2 tabs open.

Minimize it. Anyways, it's 2006, who doesn't have a few hundred MB's of ram to spare? =p

I don't. I'm running on 1 GB of RAM which I expect to be enough, but not when firefox hogs at much memory as the average game.

Unused RAM = wasted RAM.

If you're concerned, close firefox when you play a game. It's not that hard.

Don't have to on my dual core processor :p

Ausm

laugh

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
Originally posted by: CFster
I used to use Opera exclusively, for the reasons mentioned above.

Then I just ran into too many pages that Opera simply wouldn't load. Pages I had to use for work - from major companies.

I ended up switching to Firefox - it does everything I need it to do. I haven't noticed any memory issues - maybe because I have enough RAM.

I think Opera 9.0 is quite nice now. It's compliant to W3C standard.

Everyday I start IE first, then start Opera. :)

I am eager to hear more feedback about FF 2.0 ... What I like most about FF is TabMixPlus, yahoo toolbar (to save page content to yahoo), ForecastFox, Flashgot.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
I saw your name "0" and thought that was the number of replies. I was about to tell you that this is a repost of a thread with the exact same title. Freaky.

Anyway, carry on.