Firefox Beta 2.0 candidate is out to play

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2003

Just when you thought Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta gets all the attention, the Mozilla Foundation comes with the long expected Beta 2.0 version of their popular Firefox browser.

It?s not actually officially launched, but you only have to wait until Wednesday, July 11, to be able to get your hands on it. If you can?t wait that long and IE doesn?t satisfy you in anymore, you should know that a public "release candidate" has been posted on the Mozilla FTP site . Still, the version posted there is not yet ready for mass utilization, although Mozilla specifies that the candidate is feature complete.

Among the early reviews and critics, two important new capabilities of Firefix 2.0 Beta are unanimously acclaimed: an integrated spell checker, and an anti-phishing tool. The spell-checker should help bloggers and forum members happy, since grammar and writing mistakes are going to be eliminated. As soon as you start to type into a textbox it will start spell checking. If it finds that you have made a mistake it will notify you by placing a red-squiggly line underneath the word.

Firefox 2.0 Beta follows the anti-phishing trend today (which IE 7.0 Beta inaugurated) and warns you about potentially dangerous sites, stored on local lists, or on Google?s site listing.

The interface is quite the same to the one we see in Firefox 1.5. Firefox 2.0 does include a horizontal scrolling capability for tabs, and an ability to close a tab directly from within the tab itself. The Options dialog has been reworked to include a horizontal, tabbed based interface, and numerous changes have been made under the hood.

http://www.playfuls.com/news_03362_Firefox_Beta_20_candidate_is_out_to_play.html

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Mucho
I wonder if the fix the 'Copy and Paste' issue?

What copy and paste issue?

edit: also, the date doesn't make sense. July the 11th does not fall on Wednesday, it falls on a Tuesday.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
While the idea of spell check is nice, at the same time it'd a good indicator of how bad people spell or how stupid they are. The problem with spell checkers is that people don't learn how to spell properly and you don't realize how big of an issue it is until you go online and see people's blogs.

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango
While the idea of spell check is nice, at the same time it'd a good indicator of how bad people spell or how stupid they are. The problem with spell checkers is that people don't learn how to spell properly and you don't realize how big of an issue it is until you go online and see people's blogs.

I'd say it's pure laziness. People won't proof read their articles, and even with a spell check, you'll get grammatical errors such as "there" and "they're"

But let's not turn this into a discussion of this.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango

Spellcheckers in this sense help you learn how a word should be spelt. However, in programs like Word, the spellcheck tool is usually just hammered on to get everything corrected, and no one learns. I think this new feature will be great and should help everyong improve their English skills. =]

Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
is this what bon echo is

I'm not sure if they re-use code-names, but I believe Deer Park and Bon Echo were for Firefox 1.5.

Originally posted by: logic1485
So...is it out tomorrow, or the day after?

Today is Monday, meaning tomorrow is Tuesday. What comes after Tuesday? Wednesday! I assume they made a mistake and meant Wednesday the 12th.

EDIT: The browser is pretty good. The tools menu has an "add on" select instead of Theme/Extensions. The add on selection brings up a window, where it has two sections "Extensions | Themes". It's a lot cleaner and feels faster, IMO.

The spell-check is pretty neat too. :D

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
I wonder if they fixed the huge memory leak issues with the other version. Gotta love leaving firefox running all day, and looking at the task manager and see it using 500 megs of ram :roll:

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: bignateyk
I wonder if they fixed the huge memory leak issues with the other version. Gotta love leaving firefox running all day, and looking at the task manager and see it using 500 megs of ram :roll:

those memory leaks, have been shown to be caused by the shoddily written extensions.

Jun 4, 2005
Firefox holding at 90,0000 K for me. Trim on minimize brings it down to 2,000 K, but slowly goes up to around 50,000 K.

EDIT: Just leave Firefox minimized if you're going to walk away from it. Probably won't go over 6,000 K.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I hope they fix the memory leak.

I also hope you can remove the worthless piece of ****** spell checker.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: OdiN
I hope they fix the memory leak.

I also hope you can remove the worthless piece of ****** spell checker.

Why? All it does is underline the word.

EDIT: After looking around about:config, I've found that you can disable it.

about:config

Filter for : layout.spellcheckDefault

Change it's integer value from 1 to 0.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mo0o
How is hte browsing speed? Is it still slowe rthan Opera?

Its a bit faster now....almost matches opera I'd say. Close enough that I'm finally considering using it over opera.