Firefox 61 Released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Mozilla to Remove Support for Built-In Feed Reader From Firefox
WUT? I remember when that feature was added, to MUCH fan-fare. I don't really "do" RSS, so I don't use it, but it seems like it was popular? Seems like a shame to get rid of it.

I hope that they don't get rid of PDF support, I don't "do" adobe plug-ins anymore. (Too high a security risk, their software is garbage from a security perspective.)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I never used RSS but I'm seriously missing the view all history feature. I feel your pain.

Edit: I found out how to see all history or bookmarks. Click Library - Bookmarks or History and at the bottom of the list is Show All Bookmarks/History. Or you can click Ctrl + Shift + B.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I never used RSS but I'm seriously missing the view all history feature. I feel your pain.

Edit: I found out how to see all history or bookmarks. Click Library - Bookmarks or History and at the bottom of the list is Show All Bookmarks/History. Or you can click Ctrl + Shift + B.

Ctrl + Shift + H will open the 'all history' window.

Every factoid for anyone who is interested: Putting two forward slashes into the search box will show the entire history in one scrollable window rather than having to click in the left pane for different time periods.

Looks like icons will be changing in the future - not sure which one I like better at this point, hmm...

Evolving the Firefox Brand

https://blog.mozilla.org/opendesign/evolving-the-firefox-brand/

All I can say to this is: If one day the browser devs can say "our work here is done", that day they should start messing around with logos. Until that day (which will never come, unless the web browser becomes obsolete), make it faster, more secure and more reliable, and maybe, just maybe, come up with a feature that the majority of users say, "how has no-one thought of this amazing idea before?".

How and why on earth Mozilla thinks that it's time to start re-arranging deckchairs again, I have no idea.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008

Every factoid for anyone who is interested: Putting two forward slashes into the search box will show the entire history in one scrollable window rather than having to click in the left pane for different time periods.
Good stuff. I have no idea why they keep hiding stuff I use several times a day. The double forward slash trick is pretty cool if I can remember it.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
one of the biggest annoyances I've been having with firefox quantum is that you cannot set the default bookmark save location or remove "other bookmarks".

I know there is an addon for this functionality but I like to use as few addons as possible especially for simple functionalities like these

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Thank you, I didn't know those shortcuts!

I agree, they should really focus on functionality and security first and if they want to do icon changes, put that on the back burner. I think the main icon is fine, maybe they could update it a bit but I don't think they should change it too drastically. Right now I'd pick system 2 with the color in the middle of the firefox like in the system 1 icons.

I never tried to remove other bookmarks but then again I put my unsorted ones there.

All I can say to this is: If one day the browser devs can say "our work here is done", that day they should start messing around with logos. Until that day (which will never come, unless the web browser becomes obsolete), make it faster, more secure and more reliable, and maybe, just maybe, come up with a feature that the majority of users say, "how has no-one thought of this amazing idea before?".

How and why on earth Mozilla thinks that it's time to start re-arranging deckchairs again, I have no idea.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Mozilla releases Firefox Public Data Report

The Firefox Public Data Report is a weekly public report on the activity, behavior, and hardware configuration of Firefox users.

https://data.firefox.com

This looks very interesting!!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What a load of hypocritical horsesht from Mozilla! Bring back the selective cookie-blocking UI and feature! Mozilla caved to tracking advertisers bigtime when they took that out. How about Mozilla actually empowering users to make their OWN calls about tracking, rather than force users to enable / disable "anti-tracking" that Mozilla controls, and could whitelist any advertisers at any time.