Firefox 61 Released

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
using 61 on Windows but what's with the "Quantum" branding now?

I think that's as much about >v57 casting off legacy add-ons (and lots of older UI baggage) in favour of 'Web Extensions' (I think that's what they're called) as much as it's about full sandboxing/multithreading support (was that v57 as well? can't remember).

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
the Add-On stuff? Extensions is a Chrome thing I believe, same difference though.

Does multithreading have to be enabled manually?

EDIT: nvm I'm dumb was thinking of something else entirely

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I finally "upgraded" from version 56. All I can say is these people have no idea how folks really use browsers. Everything is much more difficult to use with more steps involved. And what in the world did they do to NoScript? My life is supposed to get easier not more complicated so why do they insist on changing stuff for changes sake?

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I finally "upgraded" from version 56. All I can say is these people have no idea how folks really use browsers. Everything is much more difficult to use with more steps involved. And what in the world did they do to NoScript? My life is supposed to get easier no more complicated so why do they insist on changing stuff for changes sake?

I suspect XUL wasn't going to easily take to a decent method of sandboxing and multi-threading, so it was either a case of rewriting XUL and breaking extensions, or get rid of XUL and break extensions. (pure speculation)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Where did they bury "restore previous session"? I usually close Firefox with multiple tabs open and when I reopen Firefox I want to be able to restore my tabs. I think it used to be in History or Bookmarks - History.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
Where did they bury "restore previous session"? I usually close Firefox with multiple tabs open and when I reopen Firefox I want to be able to restore my tabs. I think it used to be in History or Bookmarks - History.
Looks like you just click the top right options menu (the 3 horizontal bars) and Restore Previous Session is near the top of the list.

Ya it would be nice if they had a button on the start page like some other browsers do.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Looks like you just click the top right options menu (the 3 horizontal bars) and Restore Previous Session is near the top of the list.

Ya it would be nice if they had a button on the start page like some other browsers do.
Thank you coffeemonster. I would have never thought to look in the options menu. I like to close my browser when away from the computer more than 5 minutes and I always have multiple tabs open.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I think that's as much about >v57 casting off legacy add-ons (and lots of older UI baggage) in favour of 'Web Extensions' (I think that's what they're called) as much as it's about full sandboxing/multithreading support (was that v57 as well? can't remember).
One reason I'm still in 56 since I use the legacy extension DownThemAll! Hopefully it will be updated soon for Quantum.

Reactions: Linflas

Trudyblammer

Aug 2, 2017
Update: Just tried out the latest version after being a chrome user for the past 3-4 years, kind of okay with it so far but switching back to chrome cause i really find it convenient, probably because i've grown used to it

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
One reason I'm still in 56 since I use the legacy extension DownThemAll! Hopefully it will be updated soon for Quantum.
That was one of the biggest reasons keeping me from quantum as primary browser for a while.
I found a possible solution
https://www.reddit.com/r/XUL_for_Qu...rtext&utm_name=firefox&utm_content=t1_e21klj2
I haven't tried it out myself, probably will this weekend. Up till now I've just been keeping an older browser installed to launch DTA when I need it.

Reactions: SKORPI0

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Anybody experience the browser window going black or black in places? In options - general - performance, I set it to use recommended performance settings. Is there a better setting? I admit I haven't updated my chip or graphics drivers since I built this machine.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Just curious, do you like it because of the google integrations?
I still prefer firefox and one main reason being that it is a lot more privacy conscious than chrome.

Update: Just tried out the latest version after being a chrome user for the past 3-4 years, kind of okay with it so far but switching back to chrome cause i really find it convenient, probably because i've grown used to it

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I haven't seen this but I have seen it not closing sometimes after updates or not being able to get to the hamburger menu on the top right in which case I have to end the task to get it to work again.

Anybody experience the browser window going black or black in places? In options - general - performance, I set it to use recommended performance settings. Is there a better setting? I admit I haven't updated my chip or graphics drivers since I built this machine.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I haven't seen this but I have seen it not closing sometimes after updates or not being able to get to the hamburger menu on the top right in which case I have to end the task to get it to work again.
Weird how different people have different issues. Sometimes a tabbed page will go black, other times just black in places and other times just black where my mouse is.

I don't like the icons one bit. I put everything to the right of my address bar and I have to stare at the icons for a while to figure out which does what. They just look too similar and plain to me. This is something I have to fix if possible.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
I'd recommend updating your graphics drivers. I've had quirky issues in browsers before that were cleared up by display driver updates. If that doesn't solve your issue, try disabling hardware acceleration in firefox.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'd recommend updating your graphics drivers. I've had quirky issues in browsers before that were cleared up by display driver updates. If that doesn't solve your issue, try disabling hardware acceleration in firefox.
Thanks. I really need to update my drivers. I've been putting it off since I built this machine.