firefox 23 released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Wow, that preview looks like hot ass. Mushing everything onto a single toolbar? Between the new download manager, the DPI changes in version 22, and all this upcoming stuff to essentially make it look like a mobile phone browser on my desktop, Firefox is meeting my needs less and less.

I'll wait to see what addons get released before I make up my mind, but I can't use it in its default state. Forks that follow Firefox closely will likely get the changes too, though perhaps more slowly. I'll keep the last good version of Firefox(whatever it ends up being), and keep an eye on security updates. When I feel threatened enough, I'll go to Seamonkey. Fortunately, I'm on Debian, so I can put off some of the security for awhile.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Link is in post #11
I have some custom link buttons in Google Toolbar that I want to keep and it can translate a web page language, when I need it to.

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Hmm.. not sure about some of these upcoming changes and I hope they are able to be modified.

Does anyone know more about this?
"Users can now switch to a new search provider across the entire browser"

In the past when you search for something in the main bar it goes to google so I was wondering how to change that?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Does anyone know more about this?
"Users can now switch to a new search provider across the entire browser"

In the past when you search for something in the main bar it goes to google so I was wondering how to change that?

They got rid of Keyword.url. Now the search that's in your searchbox will be the engine that gets used in the urlbar. Set it to Google, and you get Google results. Set it to Bing, get Bing results...

Personally, I like DuckDuckGo. It's the only engine I launch from, and I use !bangs to get other engines...

!g "Search_term" = Google
!bi "Search_term" = Bing images
!a "Search_term" = Amazon

Very easy, and it reduces clutter. There's tons of specialized !bangs that can be used as shortcuts.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Thank you that is great.

FYI for anyone who wants to DL the full installer file you can get it here, since the main page now offers the installer stub which downloads the full version each time you use it.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all

They got rid of Keyword.url. Now the search that's in your searchbox will be the engine that gets used in the urlbar. Set it to Google, and you get Google results. Set it to Bing, get Bing results...

Personally, I like DuckDuckGo. It's the only engine I launch from, and I use !bangs to get other engines...

!g "Search_term" = Google
!bi "Search_term" = Bing images
!a "Search_term" = Amazon

Very easy, and it reduces clutter. There's tons of specialized !bangs that can be used as shortcuts.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Submit it to DuckDuckGo for inclusion in their !bangs

The problem is OpenDNS uses keywords that I set up in my account settings. When I type a Y it redirects to YouTube for example.

Where can I submit to Duckduckgo?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I've set plugins click to play on in about:config, but since i've updated to v23, flash is playing automatically again.
Anyone know why and how I can revert it back?

thanks!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The problem is OpenDNS uses keywords that I set up in my account settings. When I type a Y it redirects to YouTube for example.

Where can I submit to Duckduckgo?
https://duckduckgo.com/newbang
I've set plugins click to play on in about:config, but since i've updated to v23, flash is playing automatically again.
Anyone know why and how I can revert it back?

thanks!

I had an issue with that on 23 also. When I updated to 24 it went away. I didn't look beyond the obvious stuff, and just assumed it was because it was a beta. I suppose I should have submitted a bug report, but I didn't :^/

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
It was stupid for firefox to take out keword.url! WTF are they thinking??? This browser is getting more and more sucky. And you simply just can't continue to use an old version because some sites will complain like eBay.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It was stupid for firefox to take out keword.url! WTF are they thinking??? This browser is getting more and more sucky. And you simply just can't continue to use an old version because some sites will complain like eBay.

Sites can be tricked, but security is important; especially if you run Windows. You're doing the web with a bullseye on your back.

I'm not liking the direction Mozilla's going. I'm hoping addon devs take up the slack, but I don't like relying on addons like that, especially for core functionality.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
i thought i broke my FF cause search bar was broke and didn't work at all

then i realize FF autoupdate did it after 2 hours debugging

went back to 22, disabled autoupdate, got profile from backup

everything good

no more FF updates for me

GG

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Well, this latest update sees to have finally hosed FF on my older machine. CPU is pinned and memory doesn't stop climbing even on basic text/image-only pages. Any ideas besides reverting? Is there a way to see CPU/memory usage for each plugin or addon?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Well, this latest update sees to have finally hosed FF on my older machine. CPU is pinned and memory doesn't stop climbing even on basic text/image-only pages. Any ideas besides reverting? Is there a way to see CPU/memory usage for each plugin or addon?

Start disabling plugins. I have run the latest version on XP and Vista (on VMs) and 7. Not seeing that issue at all.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Start disabling plugins. I have run the latest version on XP and Vista (on VMs) and 7. Not seeing that issue at all.

Good call, thanks. I started by disabling the most recently updated plugin (Ghostery) and that was it. Haven't had a problem with it before, but they must've screwed things up with the latest version. Disabling it I went from 99% CPU with a single about:blank window open back down to idling near 0% after pages have loaded.

Try about:memory to see what's using ram.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Good call, thanks. I started by disabling the most recently updated plugin (Ghostery) and that was it. Haven't had a problem with it before, but they must've screwed things up with the latest version. Disabling it I went from 99% CPU with a single about:blank window open back down to idling near 0% after pages have loaded.

Glad I could help. I use DoNotTrackMe, as I just happened to like it the best when trying them both out a few months ago. They seemed to be doing the same thing though. Out of curiosity, is there anything special you like about Ghostery (well, before "the incident" anyway)? If it does a better job, I wouldn't mind switching.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I dropped Ghostery due to performance problems, though mine were network related. To replace it, use ABP with Fanboy's ultimate list.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
I see the Ghostery support forum is full of complaints about the problem and they already have a beta fix out.

Out of curiosity, is there anything special you like about Ghostery (well, before "the incident" anyway)? If it does a better job, I wouldn't mind switching.

I dropped Ghostery due to performance problems, though mine were network related. To replace it, use ABP with Fanboy's ultimate list.

I already use ABP and also a lot of other redundant ad/script/cookie/tracker blockers with overlapping functionality and haven't an issue until now. I guess the plus side of Ghostery is that it has a good database of ad/trackers, so I know what to avoid when I have to enable certain scripts or third party sites to get a certain page or menu working.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I see the Ghostery support forum is full of complaints about the problem and they already have a beta fix out.

I already use ABP and also a lot of other redundant ad/script/cookie/tracker blockers with overlapping functionality and haven't an issue until now. I guess the plus side of Ghostery is that it has a good database of ad/trackers, so I know what to avoid when I have to enable certain scripts or third party sites to get a certain page or menu working.

Cool, I know ABE blocks images every once in a while in the Hume thread, so at least I know it's working. I always find it interesting how much DNTM blocks on some sites. Really an eye-opener.