firefox 23 released

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/23.0/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 23.0.exe

What’s New

• NEW Support for new scrollbar style in Mac OS X 10.7 and newer
  • NEW Mixed content blocking enabled to protects users from man-in-the-middle attacks and eavesdroppers on HTTPS pages (learn more)
  • CHANGED Improved about:memory's functional UI
  • CHANGED Enabled DXVA2 on Windows Vista+ to accelerate H.264 video decoding
  • CHANGED Updated Firefox Logo
  • CHANGED "Load images automatically", "Enable JavaScript", and Always show the tab bar" checkboxes removed from preferences and reset to defaults
  • CHANGED Simplified interface for notifications of plugin installation
  • CHANGED Users can now switch to a new search provider across the entire browser
  • CHANGED CSP policies using the standard syntax and semantics will now be enforced
  • DEVELOPER Implemented a global browser console
  • DEVELOPER Social share functionality
  • DEVELOPER HTML5 <input type="range"> form control implemented
  • DEVELOPER Write more accessible pages on touch interfaces with new ARIA role for key buttons
  • DEVELOPER Added unprefixed requestAnimationFrame
  • DEVELOPER New feature in toolbox: Network Monitor
  • DEVELOPER Dropped blink effect from text-decoration: blink; and completely removed <blink> element

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Did the update and of course Firefox thinks these 2 addons / themes are incompatible.

Google Toolbar For Firefox 7.120110512W

Firefox 3 Theme For Firefox 4+ 2.0.1

But they are working fine in Firefox 23.0 (can't say if all the features on Google Toolbar work, but the ones I need do work)

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
and no it is not on the homepage for firefox yet!!! :biggrin:
the usual useless comment

we all know that the Mozilla FTP gets updated with the latest official before the main webpage but it's the same setup.exe file

but someone MUST pop in and post this right? :whiste:

Oct 16, 1999
WTF did they take the close button off the tabs? Is there a way to put it back?

OK looks like tab mix plus is causing this.

Last edited:

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
CHANGED "Load images automatically", "Enable JavaScript", and Always show the tab bar" checkboxes removed from preferences and reset to defaults

WTF? These are all common user features that *should* be in preferences, not buried in About:Config.

And resetting user defined settings to default values on a update? No bueno Firefox.

After the firefox 22 DPI changes that make everything look like Mr Magoo owns my laptop and zooms in by default, it might be time to start looking for another browser...

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
After the firefox 22 DPI changes that make everything look like Mr Magoo owns my laptop and zooms in by default, it might be time to start looking for another browser...

I'm still using 21 because of that change. It's unfortunate too, because I've always been a proponent of FF and updating it right away. :|

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
[/B]WTF? These are all common user features that *should* be in preferences, not buried in About:Config.

And resetting user defined settings to default values on a update? No bueno Firefox.

That's nothing. You should see the changes proposed for a version coming soon. I've bitched about it a couple times, but it doesn't seem to get any traction around here.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/29/so-this-is-your-idea-of-a-great-user-interface-mozilla/

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the update. Seems that they finally fixed the problem when using Acrobat (I don't like the built in PDF reader - instead use Acrobat Reader) where the down scrollbar arrow appears behind the Windows taskbar when opening a PDF file inside Firefox.

Yay!!!

boochi

May 21, 2011
After updating, opening Firefox is taking much longer than usual to open. I don't think this update was ready for primetime.

edit: Well I guess it is the LastPass plugin extension that is causing the problem.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
After updating, opening Firefox is taking much longer than usual to open. I don't think this update was ready for primetime.

edit: Well I guess it is the LastPass plugin extension that is causing the problem.

Try disabling Ad-Block Plus for a while if you have it installed and see if that helps.

I started using AdBlock Edge instead which does the same minus the bloatware and my FF opens faster now

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

weird, i use last pass also and am having no problems at all. speed is great for me. try doing fresh install of firefox then add the add ins back

firefoxuser23

Aug 7, 2013
The problem is definetly caused by the Lastpass Extension. I have disabled LastPass and now Firefox starts quickly. I hope problem will be solved soon

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
From what I read Firefox 25 may not be what I would like to use. I tend to agree that users should be able to customize the browser to their own specific likes and dislikes. For example, I can not stand the default theme in Firefox. I use a theme that makes it look like Firefox 3 .. nice, simple, plain, easy to use.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
From what I read Firefox 25 may not be what I would like to use. I tend to agree that users should be able to customize the browser to their own specific likes and dislikes. For example, I can not stand the default theme in Firefox. I use a theme that makes it look like Firefox 3 .. nice, simple, plain, easy to use.
can you post the link to it please?

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
thanks chief, it was Qute 4 ++ as Qute Classic breaks the new tab icon

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Did the update and of course Firefox thinks these 2 addons / themes are incompatible.

Google Toolbar For Firefox 7.120110512W

Firefox 3 Theme For Firefox 4+ 2.0.1

<me gets out the world's smallest violin>

When an add-on is written, the author puts an (almost) arbitrary version number into it to say "this is the maximum version number that this add-on will work on", because it's generally considered better for an add-on to be disabled until it has been tested and verified to work rather than breaking Firefox after an upgrade because it isn't compatible.

Firefox add-ons are generally available for free. I don't expect the author in such circumstances to be downloading the latest nightlies to ensure that my 'Status-4-Evar' add-on works as soon as a new FF version is downloaded, because I sincerely hope that the author actually has a day job.

If add-on compatibility is a common problem for you, then I would suggest considering the following options:

1 - Rely on less add-ons / choose different add-ons to rely on
2 - Choose a different browser which matches your needs better
3 - Quit complaining

I have three add-ons: A dictionary, ABP, and Status-4-Evar. None have been disabled during an upgrade since I started using them (that last add-on has been in use since probably FF4).

WRT the google toolbar, why not simply use the address or search bars to do a search rather than relying on a third party add-on.

[/B]WTF? These are all common user features that *should* be in preferences, not buried in About:Config.

Outrage not found, and I bet that opinion counts for probably 95% of Firefox users. I don't think I've touched any of these options in maybe ten years. About:config is the right place for such obscure options.

Ah, now there I agree with you 100%. It irritated me so much when the Thunderbird developers decided it would be a good idea to make TB very tab orientated, getting rid of the title bar and that stupid 'app' button on the right which looks like an Android settings button, then reinstating such options after some TB upgrades. It also took me ages to get used to Firefox after they switched the 'open in new tab/window' context menu options!

IMHO the movers and shakers of the technology world have got stuck in a "change = improvement" rut that they need to get out of. Curbing user interface customisation seems to be the prevailing opinion, which is certainly one reason why I continue to use FF/TB.

Last edited:

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
That's nothing. You should see the changes proposed for a version coming soon. I've bitched about it a couple times, but it doesn't seem to get any traction around here.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/29/so-this-is-your-idea-of-a-great-user-interface-mozilla/

Wow, that preview looks like hot ass. Mushing everything onto a single toolbar? Between the new download manager, the DPI changes in version 22, and all this upcoming stuff to essentially make it look like a mobile phone browser on my desktop, Firefox is meeting my needs less and less.

Which sucks, because I cant stand chrome and it doesnt support my addons, and IE10 isnt awful but again doesnt support my addons. Might have to try one of those shady firefox offshoots for a while.