Finding a relatively expensive item

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I spotted something yesterday and left it. Today on the way in to work it was still there and after work it was still there. I went ahead and brought it home and posted up on craigslist. What else should I do?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The guy you stole it from is gonna be the first to meet you.
And he won't be bringing money if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Captante

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
The guy you stole it from is gonna be the first to meet you.
And he won't be bringing money if you know what I mean.

LOL. I actually had that thought. I don't think there is any way the owner left it where it was.. I posted it up in the lost and found. Not for sale. I tried reporting it to the police property room but I keep getting a recording.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
What is it?

Bike, looks to be worth between 450 and 900 dollars used with stuff attached all over the place. I don't think the owner would have left it stashed and unlocked. I'm thinking it was stolen and stashed and for whatever reason the thief didn't come back.

Apparently the police property room closes at 4 so I'll either have to call from work tomorrow or haul ass home and try to reach someone

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Bike, looks to be worth between 450 and 900 dollars used with stuff attached all over the place. I don't think the owner would have left it stashed and unlocked. I'm thinking it was stolen and stashed and for whatever reason the thief didn't come back.

Apparently the police property room closes at 4 so I'll either have to call from work tomorrow or haul ass home and try to reach someone

Does it look like this:

1638321863408.png

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So let me get this straight so there is no confusion later. You stole a bike then listed it on the lost in found on Craigslist and now you are asking us what you should do? Does that about sum it up?

• Haha

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
So let me get this straight so there is no confusion later. You stole a bike then listed it on Craigslist and now you are asking us what you should do? Does that about sum it up?

cjMslVS.gif

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
uhh take the bike to the local police dept

or just go back in time and don't take it

People don't store 900 dollar bikes under trailers unlocked ya fucks. The police dept. doesn't take calls for found items after 4pm. Read the fucking thread. I have no need for a bike. Don't even fucking want one. I'm actually trying to get it back to its owner. I'm not gonna leave it out for some fucking crackhead. This actually may be some persons mode of transportation.

Why don't you go back in tile and pull your head out of your ass?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
It wouldn't be a Cannondale by any chance?

I have a pretty low end model and that was $750.

I'm assuming you know your bikes to even be able to come up with a range. Or you looked it up . . . which, you know, also works pretty well ;) :)

If someone did lose the bike via aborted theft, mugging, whatever and it's important to them, they will definitely go to the police hoping they have it. So I would say that's your next destination. As long as it's only been a few days since it was reported missing. No one is going to look sideways at you.

And thank you for being a thoughtful and compassionate citizen :)

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It's starting to sound like you stole it. Did you have to go onto someone else's property in order to get it?

Unless it was out on the curb with a "FREE" sign attached, you should probably ask the person if they want to get rid of it.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Pretty sure OP had that part covered on his own! :p

And I'm also leaning towards he stole the bike himself and is getting cold feet after the fact!

Another distinct possibility! ;)

images

I've always thought that people that think this way are usually the people that do things like that.

Anyways no. It was left for over 24 hours in a work area at our warehouse. It was literally under a trailer. I locked it up at work and like I said I would do I called the property room this morning. The sheriffs dept. sent someone to pick it up. I guess it will be held for a certain amount of time then auctioned.

We actually find bikes every so often but they usually go into scrap. This was a specialized AWOL with all kinds of upgrades. I'm fairly certain I've passed the actual owner a few times on the way to work.

Last edited: