Finally got to order a 16GB Nexus 4

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
Did anyone have any problems getting their Nexus 4? UPS claims to have delivered it to my house, but I was asleep until about 45 minutes after they claimed to have delivered it, and it wasn't there.

Doesn't UPS usually leave a tag on your door to reschedule a delivery if no one answers? :confused:

May 13, 2005
Doesn't UPS usually leave a tag on your door to reschedule a delivery if no one answers? :confused:

They didn't do that. It said it was delivered yesterday, and I woke up about 45 minutes after they claimed it was delivered. It was either stolen in the 45 minute window, was delivered to the wrong house (I checked with my neighbors, no one saw it) or they're full of crap.

There was no rescheduling, no knock at the door, no tags, no nothing. I called Google & UPS, and they escalated my support case, but I'm guessing nothing will come out of it; i.e., my product, so I'll most likely seek a refund.

This is the first time UPS has ever done this to me, so I'm kinda disappointed.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
have you looked everywhere around your front door etc? it's a really small box, maybe 6"x4"x3"

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
As I suspected, there is a hardware change from the first batch (for better or worse, I don't know):

This dude's phone is Rev 10 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFDlTzImYs (4:55~5:00)

kFCvHUO.png

Mine is Rev 11.

lTgSJmC.png

I'm the OP in this thread, Ordered on Day 1 they came back in stock last week.

I received mine yesterday. I just booted into the Bootloader and Mine is Rev 11

Last edited:

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Hmm, that very well could be the case. Well, hopefully I'll be able to get a refund.

I can confirm, I was home yesterday when it came. UPS left the box on my front Door. I saw him walk up to the door and leave the box sitting in front of my door and walked away. No knock, no doorbell, nothing.

It could easily been stolen.

Its a super tiny box. Surprising small actually. It literally fits the nexus 4 box in it and thats it. No padding at all.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Mine should be delivered in the morning. I ordered it on the 3rd, so I'm really impressed on the turn around.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Mine is in North Bay! Only about 400km north to go, it's close! I should probably get it tomorrow. UPS says Friday though, so we'll see. I'm off tomorrow so it would be perfect if I get it since I'll be home.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
I can confirm, I was home yesterday when it came. UPS left the box on my front Door. I saw him walk up to the door and leave the box sitting in front of my door and walked away. No knock, no doorbell, nothing.

It could easily been stolen.

Its a super tiny box. Surprising small actually. It literally fits the nexus 4 box in it and thats it. No padding at all.

Wow. My experience with UPS has always been the same - No one answers door for delivery, they leave a reschedule tag on the door and take the package back. I didn't know they just left it there.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I wanted to see how much battery drains by the mobile/WiFi signals compared to screen, and I am a little confused. Whatever I've done over the weekend did cause reducing battery drain while screen is off. (Or maybe it's just the first day of phone there is lots of syncing going on?) I would see ~1% battery drop per hour the first day, but that no longer seems to be the case.

WgRfSw7.png

I originally wanted to compare the battery drain by pure screen time (enable Airplane mode and keep the screen on) and by pure signals (Broadband + Wi-Fi). There is no competition between the two.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It could be there was lot of initial syncing the first day. What I've found is that it takes couple charges to settle in and give me accurate readings with a new phone or battery.

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
There's not much point evaluating battery life on the Nexus 4 until this Qualcom patch gets pushed out in the next Android update.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Liking the phone a lot, but as others mentioned, battery life is not the best.

the HTC One S (Custom Rom) I sold to buy this was much better. (S4/225)

I am probably going to unlock the bootloader and install CM 10.1 tonight to see if it makes any difference.

Feb 19, 2001
There's not much point evaluating battery life on the Nexus 4 until this Qualcom patch gets pushed out in the next Android update.

But the msic wakelock isn't really a huge gamechanger. It's not like you will get 50% more battery life as a result. If you filter through the placebo comments all over XDA, the more reputable contributors and devs who used the kernels with the msic wakelock patches noticed slight increases in battery life.

You'd get more battery gain just disabling Gtalk and Latitude than fixing this wakelock. So your phone can't deep sleep... oh no? Remember that Gingerbread stock kernels didn't even have deep sleep.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Mine is in my city now! Just not delivered. Probably still on the truck. I'll probably get it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Sucks to hear about battery life though. Even my old blackberry can do a couple days on a single charge.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I just installed AOKP, I haven't used my phone as much today as I usually do, but my gnex and lumia would have been dead last night. It's 3pm now. Also, I'm not sure what's going on with the percentages there.
atanumuq.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So I checked the tracking and it said "signed by Mailbox" Nice... lol. Well the good news is, it was in my mailbox and I have it now!

Waiting for it to acclimate to room temp before I turn it on (lot of condensation) but I can't wait to play with it!

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I just installed AOKP, I haven't used my phone as much today as I usually do, but my gnex and lumia would have been dead last night. It's 3pm now. Also, I'm not sure what's going on with the percentages there.

66 + 7 + 5 + 4 + 4 + 4 = 90% + 9% left on your battery = ~100% :biggrin:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Muhahaha. Got the $0.99 SIM kit from T-Mobile and just finished activating it w/ $30 monthly. Waiting for them to transfer my number from AT&T. I now have to find out which VOIP product works best on this phone and I will be set. T-Mobile's HSPA+ is quite impressive in my area! (faster than AT&T's whatever 4G, for sure)

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Running Paranoid Android 2.99 (Latest build) with Franco Kernel (r69) with Color Adjustments

Battery life seems to already be noticeably better and I am on charge 1.

I undervolted the CPU using Franco and set Max CPU Frequency to 1188 MHz rather than 1500. Changed Governor to Ondemand.

Guessing I will get at least a 25% boost in battery life while still being powerful enough for everything I do.

Last edited:

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I have to say that I'm 100% converted. The nexus 4 is amazing. I don't miss my iphone 4 at all. I'm kind of embarrassed to have taken so long to convert.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Muhahaha. Got the $0.99 SIM kit from T-Mobile and just finished activating it w/ $30 monthly. Waiting for them to transfer my number from AT&T. I now have to find out which VOIP product works best on this phone and I will be set. T-Mobile's HSPA+ is quite impressive in my area! (faster than AT&T's whatever 4G, for sure)

I am going to activate my sisters Nexus 4 soon with T-Mobile. How do you start the porting process?

Do I activate the SIM first? Or do I call them and let them set it up? She doesn't want to lose her number.