Finally got my Hermes watch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
For $1500 I'd rather have a 3090. :D

Or any number of other things! ;)

Seriously though congrats on the new toy ... is it any different then a standard Apple watch in terms of hardware?

It comes with raised eyebrows.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
For $1500 I'd rather have a 3090. :D

Or any number of other things! ;)

Seriously though congrats on the new toy ... is it any different then a standard Apple watch in terms of hardware?
It's the same hardware as the stainless steel version. The difference is the Hermes version comes with 2 years of warranty vs 1 year for regular Apple Watch. And you get the wall adapter charger plug although I think the newer factory batches don't include the charger plug anymore. Mine came with it. And you also get the orange Hermes sports band in addition to the Hermes leather band. Only the Hermes model can get the orange color band. You can't buy the color separately at the Apple Store.

And of course, you get the Hermes leather band with Hermes stamped hardware. And you get exclusive watch faces available only on the Hermes Apple Watch. That's the big appeal. You can buy Hermes watch bands separately but you can't get digital Hermes watch faces unless you buy the Hermes Apple Watch. Oh, and Hermes logo is also etched on the back of the Apple Watch.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
And you get exclusive watch faces available only on the Hermes Apple Watch. That's the big appeal. You can buy Hermes watch bands separately but you can't get digital Hermes watch faces unless you buy the Hermes Apple Watch. Oh, and Hermes logo is also etched on the back of the Apple Watch.
Like I said earlier I'm not up on Apple watches but cant you design (or get someone else to) the watch themes?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
A smart watch seems to be a good motivator for fitness for some people. But you would live longer with a stainless steel banded Apple watch and doing some of your grocery shopping at whole foods for healthier food items with the leftover coin

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Well its a Hermes leather strap I guess.
Yeah, the Hermes leather band makes up the bulk of the price of the watch. The leather deployment buckle strap my watch comes with is $539 to buy separately. And Hermes Apple Watch also comes with the orange sports band. Sports band is $50 at Apple Store. Regular 44mm stainless steel Apple Watch is $749. But you get extra year of warranty with the Hermes version. So if you add it all up along with the extra Hermes digital watch faces you get, Hermes branding, prettier orange Hermes boxes, and $20 wall charger plug, it's not total ripoff. By Hermes standard, it's a steal.

Like I said earlier I'm not up on Apple watches but cant you design (or get someone else to) the watch themes?
You can't unless you jailbreak your iPhone. I can't risk using jailbreak iPhone anymore. I do too much banking and trading on my phone to risk using anything other than stock device. Privacy and security are two of the main reasons why I switched from using Android phone and devices to iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
A smart watch seems to be a good motivator for fitness for some people. But you would live longer with a stainless steel banded Apple watch and doing some of your grocery shopping at whole foods for healthier food items with the leftover coin
There's nothing at Whole Foods I want or need. You think Whole Foods is the only store that sells organic crap? Trust me, I'm serious about my food and cooking. Food is one of my passion and hobbies. I spare no expense when it comes to food. But I do like to deal hunt which is why I do not shop at Whole Foods. There are no deals at Whole Foods I can't find cheaper elsewhere.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
OP, you should buy this watch for your wife. Just to, you know, even things out.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
OP, you should buy this watch for your wife. Just to, you know, even things out.

I bought her series 6 Apple Watch Hermes as well. I bought her this one.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watc...eel-fauvebarenia-attelage-double-tour-onesize

The only people I didn't buy the Hermes are my daughter and my sister. I bought them the Apple Watch Nike because that's what they wanted. I asked if they wanted Hermes and they said no.

My wife is not interested in regular watches. She already owns Rolex and Omega watches which she never wears. My sister also owns Rolex she rarely wears. I asked my wife if she wanted another Rolex or some other luxury watches and she said no. She likes Apple Watch. She stopped wearing regular watches when I bought her series zero Apple Watch. She has worn Apple Watch ever since.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I bought her series 6 Apple Watch Hermes as well. I bought her this one.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watc...eel-fauvebarenia-attelage-double-tour-onesize

The only people I didn't buy the Hermes are my daughter and my sister. I bought them the Apple Watch Nike because that's what they wanted. I asked if they wanted Hermes and they said no.

My wife is not interested in regular watches. She already owns Rolex and Omega watches which she never wears. My sister also owns Rolex she rarely wears. I asked my wife if she wanted another Rolex or some other luxury watches and she said no. She likes Apple Watch. She stopped wearing regular watches when I bought her series zero Apple Watch. She has worn Apple Watch ever since.

My wife loves her Rolex and she wears it quite often. We bought it in Maui a few years ago at Leeds & Baron. It’s a 31mm two tone DateJust with diamond bezel and diamond indices.

I bought her a Cartier watch for Christmas a few years prior but she really didn’t wear it much so she traded that for a Chanel automatic ceramic with diamond bezel about a year or so ago. The diamonds aren’t anywhere near the size or quality of the Rolex but it’s a nice looking watch. The Chanel watch is white and quite a different look to the Rolex and we bought it from a company that deals in pre-owned luxury items like this and they gave us a fair trade on the Cartier. She really just alternates between those two watches.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
There's nothing at Whole Foods I want or need. You think Whole Foods is the only store that sells organic crap? Trust me, I'm serious about my food and cooking. Food is one of my passion and hobbies. I spare no expense when it comes to food. But I do like to deal hunt which is why I do not shop at Whole Foods. There are no deals at Whole Foods I can't find cheaper elsewhere.

This statement makes no sense to me. You blow money on designer crap but you want to deal hunt on food yet you spare no expense. Not adding up here.

For me I'd rather spend more money on ingredients and hope the people selling and growing those ingredients are getting well compensated.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
This statement makes no sense to me. You blow money on designer crap but you want to deal hunt on food yet you spare no expense. Not adding up here.

For me I'd rather spend more money on ingredients and hope the people selling and growing those ingredients are getting well compensated.

I made this exact same observation not too long ago to my wife. We were at Macy’s shopping for bath towels and she was complaining that the ones I liked were $60 a piece vs the ones she liked that were $40 a piece. I said to her, you’re wearing a Rolex and you’re complaining about spending an extra $20 on towels? She didn’t appreciate the irony.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Designer crap is normally for my wife. I don't normally buy designer stuff for myself, this watch being an exception due to it being Apple product. I like to hunt for deals on food because it gives me something to do and I enjoy finding bargains. But if it's something I want to eat or the quality is great, I buy it regardless of cost. Since I grocery shop multiple times a week, I'm extremely familiar with grocery prices and what's a good deal or not. Steve Jobs said he was happy just knowing he could buy any bike he wanted at his favorite bike store because he had the money to buy the whole store. But he didn't buy the most expensive bike. That's the same way with me. I'm happy to know I could buy anything I want because money is not an issue. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy shopping for bargains. Everyone likes to feel they got a deal.

wh... how .. how much is a normal Apple watch ?
Series 6 Apple Watch SE starts at $279. Regular Series 6 Apple Watch starts at $399. Price goes up from there depending on size, watch finish type, and if it has cellular or not. The most expensive is the Hermes line and prices depend on the Hermes band you choose. The most expensive is the deployment buckle which is what I chose.