Finally got my Hermes watch

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
This is the watch I bought

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watc...l-ébène-single-tour-deployment-buckle-onesize

It's the cheapest but the best Hermes watch IMO. I would never wear regular Hermes watch but Apple is different.

on my wrist
xMSNjCZh.jpg

closeup
VqZgLW3h.jpg

with Hermes orange color sports band
0ZAR7n9h.jpg

I like it. The leather band is classic high quality Hermes leather. And the deployment buckle makes it easy to strap or remove the watch from my wrist.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
For $1500, I'd always have it wrapped in bubble wrap while wearing it. :p

Nice looking though.
Thanks! I'm not going to baby it. It's just technology device and will be slow and outdated in couple of years. Plus it's not like you can change the battery in this thing. So this is a disposable watch. I'll enjoy it for few years but will try to save the bands to use on my next Hermes Apple Watch.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You do know the apple watch 7 comes out next week right? :D
Series 6 was released last month on Sept 18. Series 7 won't come out until next year in the fall. Tomorrow is the iPhone 12 reveal. I know my Apple shit.

• Haha
Reactions: BudAshes

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
$1500 "disposable" watch? Sheese-zowa.
It's not much different than most technology devices. iPhone that costs $1,000 might last you 3-5 years before it's too slow or you want to upgrade for newer features. AirPods Pro headphones are $250 and will last like 3 years before the battery life deteriorates to force you to replace and upgrade. Computers now last much longer but most people replace and upgrade desktops and laptops after 4-8 years. Cars cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars and people replace and upgrade every 3-10 years.

This Apple Watch just has Hermes branding. Hermes is luxury fashion brand. Anything with Hermes name is ridiculously overpriced. It took me longtime to get over absurd prices of their goods. I could've bought brand new car instead of the Hermes purses and bags I bought for my wife this year. So looking at it from Hermes customer perspective, $1,500 is disposable watch category. Regular Hermes watches are way more expensive than $1,500. The reason this watch is only $1,500 is because it's Apple Watch. This would've been like $6,500 watch if it was only Hermes. So depending on which lenses you're looking through, this watch is overpriced or a bargain.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Congrats. Although $1500, I would've gotten non-smart watches. You can get some really beautiful ones at that price range.

Reactions: ponyo

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's not much different than most technology devices. iPhone that costs $1,000 might last you 3-5 years before it's too slow or you want to upgrade for newer features. AirPods Pro headphones are $250 and will last like 3 years before the battery life deteriorates to force you to replace and upgrade. Computers now last much longer but most people replace and upgrade desktops and laptops after 4-8 years. Cars cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars and people replace and upgrade every 3-10 years.

This Apple Watch just has Hermes branding. Hermes is luxury fashion brand. Anything with Hermes name is ridiculously overpriced. It took me longtime to get over absurd prices of their goods. I could've bought brand new car instead of the Hermes purses and bags I bought for my wife this year. So looking at it from Hermes customer perspective, $1,500 is disposable watch category. Regular Hermes watches are way more expensive than $1,500. The reason this watch is only $1,500 is because it's Apple Watch. This would've been like $6,500 watch if it was only Hermes. So depending on which lenses you're looking through, this watch is overpriced or a bargain.

This is why I'm happy with my ridiculously expensive mechanical watch. It just tells time and date and never needs batteries and it is fairly accurate... accurate enough anyway. It's also a dive watch so it is rated to 300M. It will never go out of style and it will last longer than I will. Plus, it holds its value fairly well. I wear it every single day, even in the shower and I have taken it in the ocean.

Edit-Just checked and it is 25 seconds off. Not bad since I last set it October 1st.

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Series 6 was released last month on Sept 18. Series 7 won't come out until next year in the fall. Tomorrow is the iPhone 12 reveal. I know my Apple shit.

Yeah I'm just messing with you. I bought a 3+ct engagement ring last year, talk about something that loses its value as soon as you buy it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah I'm just messing with you. I bought a 3+ct engagement ring last year, talk about something that loses it's value as soon as you buy it.

Could be worse, you could have purchased an expensive German luxury car.

Congrats on the engagement. ;)

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Could be worse, you could have purchased an expensive German luxury car.

Congrats on the engagement. ;)

Well I'm married now and the wedding + ring could have added up to a pretty sweet ride... but then I'd have to do my own laundry and make my own sammiches so what you gonna do?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
the dial looks different in the photos?

Anyway, it's not something that i'd use - you would think i'm a luddite when it comes to non-essential tech - but i understand why some people would want this.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well I'm married now and the wedding + ring could have added up to a pretty sweet ride... but then I'd have to do my own laundry and make my own sammiches so what you gonna do?

Wait, you think you are going to stop doing those things? ahahahahahaha

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Congrats. Although $1500, I would've gotten non-smart watches. You can get some really beautiful ones at that price range.
Thanks! I'm not much of mechanical watch person. I can respect the history and the craftsmanship of mechanical watches but it's not something I would wear too often. I know I will wear the Apple Watch everyday.

This is why I'm happy with my ridiculously expensive mechanical watch. It just tells time and date and never needs batteries and it is fairly accurate... accurate enough anyway. It's also a dive watch so it is rated to 300M. It will never go out of style and it will last longer than I will. Plus, it holds its value fairly well. I wear it every single day, even in the shower and I have taken it in the ocean.

Edit-Just checked and it is 25 seconds off. Not bad since I last set it October 1st.
This Apple Watch can do pretty much everything your mechanical watch can do except for scuba dive. But it can do whole lot other things your mechanical watch can't do. I have Seiko Black Monster that I will use when I learn to scuba dive next year in Thailand. For everything else like surfing and swimming in the ocean and pool, I will use this Hermes Apple Watch with the sports band.

I don't care about the watch holding value. I didn't buy it as investment. That's what my stocks are for. I bought this watch to exercise with and make my life little easier. I care about the technology and what the watch can do. And if it looks good while doing it, even better.

I bought my whole family Apple Watches so we could exercise together. I'm gifting a Nike Apple Watch cellular to my sister so she can use it for her health and exercises as well. I want everyone in my family healthy. This watch is just small motivation tool to hopefully keep everyone exercising and keeping up with our health.

Yeah I'm just messing with you. I bought a 3+ct engagement ring last year, talk about something that loses its value as soon as you buy it.
:p Happy wife, happy life. Congrats on your engagement. I spoil my wife and I don't regret it. You can always make more money. I love seeing my wife happy.

the dial looks different in the photos?

Anyway, it's not something that i'd use - you would think i'm a luddite when it comes to non-essential tech - but i understand why some people would want this.
The Apple photo has the Hermes circular dial. I had mine set to the Hermes rectangular dial. There are bunch of different dials you can use and you can customize all kinds of stuff within the dial. Hermes Apple Watch has couple exclusive dials. Same for Nike Apple Watch.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Thanks! I'm not much of mechanical watch person. I can respect the history and the craftsmanship of mechanical watches but it's not something I would wear too often. I know I will wear the Apple Watch everyday.

This Apple Watch can do pretty much everything your mechanical watch can do except for scuba dive. But it can do whole lot other things your mechanical watch can't do. I have Seiko Black Monster that I will use when I learn to scuba dive next year in Thailand. For everything else like surfing and swimming in the ocean and pool, I will use this Hermes Apple Watch with the sports band.

I don't care about the watch holding value. I didn't buy it as investment. That's what my stocks are for. I bought this watch to exercise with and make my life little easier. I care about the technology and what the watch can do. And if it looks good while doing it, even better.

I didn't buy my watch as an investment either but it's nice to know that the money I did spend on it isn't just gone and now I have some trinket that's worth almost nothing (I'm not saying your apple watch is worth nothing, I'm speaking of luxury watches in general). They typically do not hold their value, with the exception of a couple of well known brands/models. I'm sure I couldn't get quite what I paid for it but there is still some substantial value there.

I like mechanical time keeping devices. I like the devotion you have to have to keep them running. It is interesting to me that these devices run on power gathered just from you moving about during the day and that they are entirely mechanical. I also have enough devices that I have to charge every single day. I'm not looking to add to that list. Plus, there really isn't anything the Apple watch can do that my cell phone doesn't already do.

FTR-I'm not anti-Apple either. I have a Samsung S9 phone but I also have an iPad that I use almost exclusively for browsing and e-mail.

Congrats on your purchase. It is a cool looking device. :)

Reactions: ponyo

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Thanks! I'm not going to baby it. It's just technology device and will be slow and outdated in couple of years. Plus it's not like you can change the battery in this thing. So this is a disposable watch. I'll enjoy it for few years but will try to save the bands to use on my next Hermes Apple Watch.

A $1,500 "disposable" watch. That's soooo Apple :)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
you probably can change the battery, just not at an Apple Store.

you know, i dont like smartwatches, but i'm not totally against them. I like to spend time on r/watchs and it makes me absolutely furious when people show up with a £80000 watch. So i take the $1500 in perspective. And, for $1500, this actually does something.

Here is the watch that i have
casio-edifice-mens-stainless-steel-chronograph-watch-p12468-30058_image.jpg

This was £67 ($86) shipped, from Amazon. I set this in december and it has yet to lose a single second. Because im just that anal of a person to actually check this with time.is (an atomic world clock site).
So, for accuracy, you don't need to go over a hundred bucks.
What i want is the Oceanus ("anus" ghghgh) 1AJF, which is a quartz, all-titanium w/ nitrite coating, shapphire glass, solar powered, near-infinite resrve, AWC-regulated, auto-timezone, water resistance 200 watch that comes in at $500. And honestly, what else could you want in a WATCH?

Because, if you spend $10k on a watch, it's not because of what it does. It's not how accurate or how resistant it is.

Now, $1500 is a bit expensive. The watch is .. cute, but isn't really gorgeous. It does however do a whole bunch of things that - while i'm not that kind of person - someone may really want. Do you want to measure your BMI, your heart rate, see how much you walked today, etc? and all by checking your wrist? Then a smartwatch is what you want.

I'm the guy who hates Alexas and Siri and Cortana and all that shit because i'm basically a walking Butlerian Jihad, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not up on Apple watches but what's the main difference between that and a regular Apple watch?