FF XIV ONLINE - Anyone playing?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Wonder how this will be? It was so terrible and clunky at launch, i want it to be good!

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Wonder how this will be? It was so terrible and clunky at launch, i want it to be good!

like every other game post WOW.. not as good, full of WOW hate and chat.. regardless of if it is , or inst good. WoW took the boring parts and unforntantly over simplified them. Human nature is to take the path of least resistance.. so even if WoW was way to simple and easy.. any game that tried to be more complex or slows down leveling will be "bad"... As somebody who was around when the first MUDS on public BBS where launched.. we need a cross between EQ (or most asain MMORPG's) grind and WoW's quest/faction/kitchen sink approach. Like walking a tightrope in a high wind.. almost impossible to do as we all have different expectations.

i will eagerly stop back and read impressions when some have played.. I played the first one (11?) and it was a grindfest.. typical asain MMORPG. Pretty, big boobs, big swords.. massive grinding..those with the most time win. Opinion only..

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Trust me i have played MMO's from day 1, Dark Sun online, UO, Was in pre alpha EQ beta. I have no issues with harder, non hand holding MMO's

My problem is the menu system with this game, it's still consolfied. The main reason i could never get into the last FF MMO, i have no problems with a grind, but for the love of everything, fix your UI's!

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Trust me i have played MMO's from day 1, Dark Sun online, UO, Was in pre alpha EQ beta. I have no issues with harder, non hand holding MMO's

My problem is the menu system with this game, it's still consolfied. The main reason i could never get into the last FF MMO, i have no problems with a grind, but for the love of everything, fix your UI's!
i tend to over simplify my responses sometimes.. I do agree.. gameplay is thing where we each like different things.. design (interfaces) is something nobody should be doing wrong today, there are far to many examples of good and bad to screw that up now. I have not played the NEW FF (i was mention the older one) so i am unaware of how it plays or interface. But I try about 75% of all the MMOPRG (100% of the F2P almost).. and one constant (WoW love of hate) which i guess Im (shudder) continuing. I feel the Old grind games had there place in the early days.. But I do not enjoy them now days, nor the hand holding. Its such a mixed bag.. In an open world you have to be slightly specific in your quest dialog "find me a shrub" in a forest zone.. is not a good quest.. "I have heard of a shrub by the MOnster village in the north" is a good quest.. I still need to look.. but now days.. its "i need 3 things, a shrub a stone and a fish" you click it, the map shows you where.. and some games even let you click and your character runs to it.. BAH!

But, it seems if you don't do this.. the majority cry its to hard.. hence my statement on taking the easy way.

ah well, I guess i rant because I really did enjoy the early days of UO (till the gank gangs controlled the game), EQ in its glory days will still be my favorite.. mainly it was the right game at the right time much like WoW was for the next generation of games) I dont play it anymore, but its still the best times i had in a MMORPG.. Now days the F2P offerings are enough to keep me entertained in small bursts. This forum pointed me to DCOnline which is pretty good for a hero game.. Vanguard harkens back to the EQ days some.. Aloids is a WoW clone for my F2P fix of WOW.. and for all around best.. AoC seems to be my "best of the current bunch" choice.

rantings of a crazy old rpg'er

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
ok how the hell do i get around this secure token password thingy, i cant remember any of the old info

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
ok how the hell do i get around this secure token password thingy, i cant remember any of the old info

The "one time password" is only applicable if you actually have a security token on your Square Enix account. There are physical tokens available (I got one with my pre-order of FFXI) and a software token available as a smartphone app. However if you've never used one of those and 'bound' it to your account, it simply doesn't apply to you so leave the field blank.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Well I woke up a little earlier this morning to fire it up and see how it looks...I love it so far.

Everything looks so smooth and the graphics are amazing. I flew through the character creation screen because I was pressed for time but it was nice. I'll re-create a character after work today and take my time.

I let my wife sit in my lap and create herself one so she could see all of the available options and I think she will like it as well. She has always complained about how females looked so crappy in most MMO games.

I did have to turn my graphics down to the "Medium" setting while running 1680x1050 resolution. I'll more than likely look to getting a new GPU once this game releases so I can bump up the settings and really enjoy the Final Fantasy world.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Man I had a lot of fun, it's still got a fair bit to smooth out and I think combat could use a bit more development/depth but it's got a ton of good ideas tucked all over the place too. The thing that surprised me most was crafting, they took what was a good idea in XIV originally and then improved on it even more. It's practically it's own mini turn-based game/RPG in itself and there's technique to whether you want more XP or whether you want to craft faster or whether you want to HQ items more. The items you craft are nothing special thus far, but I think once you get to the point where you can have a reasonable chance of a HQ craft it'll change since HQ gear (particularly weapons) tend to be quite improved relative to the base item. Or if they retained some of the ideas from XIV as you get to a higher level you'll be able to do leves/quests to unlock new recipes, which would work too.

Can't wait for the next beta weekend :D

ericb

Nov 11, 1999
Be wary of certain posts that have popped up lately. Some of the info is flat out wrong (menu's? really? The only menu I've opened is the one to log out when I was done. This thread is now for ARR 2.0 so stop spreading extremely outdated info from the defunct 1.0 release). The UI is so much better right now. Also, beta as it is right now is probably 5% of the game with even beginning functions stripped out. The real test for content will start with phase 3 and everything will be available at phase 4. Even the cutscenes have been cut at this point to preserve the storyline.

Not saying this is the second coming of MMOs or that the sky is falling but comparisons just can't be made yet because the majority of game and classes aren't there to review (unless there's a secret closed - closed beta testing group).

BTW, many of the screens and windows include the buttons and controller directions because this phase of the beta is specifically to test the controllers and gamepads. Not having any issues at all with using a pure keyboard/mouse setup however.

Last edited:

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
BTW, many of the screens and windows include the buttons and controller directions because this phase of the beta is specifically to test the controllers and gamepads. Not having any issues at all with using a pure keyboard/mouse setup however.

I didn't have the time to play in any of the beta's yet. I did, however, play in the last alpha. And this is what I noted, more than anything else.

Even at the end, i couldnt use anything but a gamepad during the 1.whatever version of the game. Trying to use a mouse and keyboard was just clunky and annoying.

But, mouse and keyboard is definately doable and comfortable in the revisioned game. The menu's probably still were a bit streamlined, since they will be releasing it on console's as well. But, anyone who'd rather use a mouse and keyboard (like me) will definately feel comfortable doing so.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
XIV originally played best controlled like XI imo, which meant no mouse required. Right hand on the numpad, left hand on the homerow/wasd/whatever. It's a great control scheme I think, but it's also very unnatural at first and most people have never used anything like it. Mouse support has improved though and I felt fine playing Realm Reborn with one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard.

Also, another beta weekend coming up starting on the 19th.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
XIV originally played best controlled like XI imo, which meant no mouse required. Right hand on the numpad, left hand on the homerow/wasd/whatever. It's a great control scheme I think, but it's also very unnatural at first and most people have never used anything like it. Mouse support has improved though and I felt fine playing Realm Reborn with one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard.

Also, another beta weekend coming up starting on the 19th.

I couldn't imagine playing it any other way. It felt just like WoW for me. I was able to assign my bottom thumb button on my mouse to target the nearest target and the upper thumb to auto attack.

The mechanics felt very smooth to me but having the same cooldown for all of my skills felt boring. I'm sure once I get higher in level there will be different skills which are on seperate cooldowns but I don't know for sure.

I didn't get to far into the beta though since I heard they were going to be wiping characters but what I did play I enjoyed.

One thing I do wish they would change is the teleport system. Rather than have a drop down with a choice of areas to choose from, I'd rather them have an actual map. Most of the locations I didn't know by name which made it frustrating.

Oct 25, 2006
I couldn't imagine playing it any other way. It felt just like WoW for me. I was able to assign my bottom thumb button on my mouse to target the nearest target and the upper thumb to auto attack.

The mechanics felt very smooth to me but having the same cooldown for all of my skills felt boring. I'm sure once I get higher in level there will be different skills which are on seperate cooldowns but I don't know for sure.

I didn't get to far into the beta though since I heard they were going to be wiping characters but what I did play I enjoyed.

One thing I do wish they would change is the teleport system. Rather than have a drop down with a choice of areas to choose from, I'd rather them have an actual map. Most of the locations I didn't know by name which made it frustrating.
I don't really mind that part, but what they need is ability to create skillchains.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006

That's one of the biggest complaints for AAR I've seen so far: the combat system is boring.

I don't really mind that part, but what they need is ability to create skillchains.

You already have their *current* replacement for skillchains...self skillchains. I.E. Some weaponskills will randomly proc and allow you to use another ws without spending TP for the 2nd (and maybe 3rd, etc). With added effects sometimes.

I ***think*** they are still working on something different for party play, however. In 1.0 FFXIV, they had battle regimens...which weren't as fun as skillchains imo, but for the record, it did work and give very useful effects when used properly. But people had such trouble with the system SE decided to scrap it. While they were working on a replacement for the battle regimens, they released the self skillchains.

The self skillchains and combat system we're seeing so far are a step backward IMO than what they had working in the final days of 1.0. That's my only big complaint so far, so I hope they are going to improve on it. And they will, if people are discussing it on the beta forums.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Combat definitely improves once you've got more buttons to press, whether that means you simply level up high enough or get more support abilities, but subbing cure/protect/archer blind and picking up Leg Sweep/Life Surge/Heavy Thrust definitely made lancing a bit more enjoyable. Also I felt this weekend that TP had been reduced, which was a good thing, it was too much of a nigh-infinite resource before and reducing it keeps you more engaged imo.

It's still a little off though, I think they need to work on the responsiveness of non-GCD skills and maybe not force abilities to reset the swing timer, or at least display the swing timer in game.

Also noticed a few other interesting things, one of the 'main menus' is "Icons" essentially which has a huge listing of drag and drop shortcuts for your bars. It's not terribly important, but in the icon listing you can see a few 'in progress' features like the UI customizer and the Macro menu. The UI customizer is actually accessible and works similar to SWTOR's, basically when enabled it places a translucent rectangle for [almost?] every possible UI element on your screen and lets you drag and drop it wherever you please. It still needs a bit more customization added, but it's a good start.

Also the macro menu seems pretty much non functional (or rather there's no feedback text and god knows what any of the commands to use it might be) but it's nice knowing it's there.

Another thing I've noticed that hasn't really been mentioned is load times. They're almost non-existant, aside from booting up the game and first logging in, going from zone to zone is extremely quick. Admittedly I'm on an SSD, but on this same SSD GW2 and SWTOR had some very pretty but also pretty extensive loading screens.

Made it up to 28 leatherworker, it's getting a little difficult to get enough materials now (and they're a bit pricey from the NPCs, if you can even find them) but I don't think that will be an issue once a full blown economy is in swing. Still really loving the crafting, and even harvesting it a bit better once you get some more of their abilities to activate, however seeing as they are "chain" based (can only be activated if you successfully harvest X times prior) the 'cap' at 85% success rate thus far seems a bit low. Although that might be exclusive to botany, and might improve if you could sub a support ability from a different harvesting job when they become available.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Another phase 2 weekend coming up. I wish they'd extend the window so that US players can play through the day on Sunday :(

ericb

Nov 11, 1999
Another phase 2 weekend coming up. I wish they'd extend the window so that US players can play through the day on Sunday :(

I know. The other problem is that all phase 2 servers are located in the Japan datacenter (according to the beta roadmap). I'd really like phase 3 to start so they are using/testing the US datacenter so I can get an idea of what performance will really be like (for me). Right now the lag makes the game seem a little sluggish.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I played a good bit of FFXI and it was only fun due to the challenge.

Yeah grinding sucked but they made it fun. If you had a good group going you could hammer out levels in no time - and were rewarded for doing so (XP chains). Plus having a PL at no negative affect to you and just plain being useful due to being a high level when running through common areas. Stuff like that made it great. You weren't overpowered at any level. Even at 75 (back then the cap) it took a little bit of work to take out a level 45. Depending on your class you didn't stand a chance against enemies that were a lower by a few levels.

Ultimately they encouraged grouping - regardless of your task. So it ALWAYS took some level of effort to continue on, because you couldn't always find someone and even if you did they might not be that great.

But after you completed the task you had a sense of accomplishment.

I've not had a desire for this game because I've heard it is a lot different, but I'm always inclined to try it.

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I played a good bit of FFXI and it was only fun due to the challenge.
+
But after you completed the task you had a sense of accomplishment.

^ the only MMO Ive ever played where that was true.
And the most enjoyable one by far.

Sadly FFXI isnt so fun after like 7years.... and even more so....
finding out how depressing all the other MMOs out there are, compaired to FFXI.

I wont support/play FFXIV, because of how bad the beta for it was first launch.

Too many bad choices went into makeing FFXIV, and then they completely ignored all the beta testers and launched the game anyways (dispite intire forum's full of complaints).

Worse is they dis-honored FFXI. Everything good in FFXI got twisted in FFXIV.