Fear the Walking Dead - Official discussion thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
What did the black guy show Nick when he asked him what his plan was? It looked like a gold coin. Is he going to bribe his way out, or is it a special coin that means he is someone important?

It was a key.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I like how when the guy gets to the stadium the lights are still on, I guess it's the same people who keep mowing the grass in The Walking Dead.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Ugh, just when I thought this couldn't get worse, it does. Just completely illogical, and the "main" characters are just so bad you are rooting for someone -- or something -- to take them out. Just ugh. Can't wait for TWD to return. FTWD had potential, but it looks like complete garbage just trying to cash in on TWD's success.

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
I enjoy TWD and FTWD just cause the zombie apocalypse fascinates me, but does anyone else have a hard time believing the military would have been overtaken by these zombies around the globe? They are slow as hell and easy to take out. I have a hard time believing they would get overtaken by these slow plodding walkers.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Ugh, just when I thought this couldn't get worse, it does. Just completely illogical, and the "main" characters are just so bad you are rooting for someone -- or something -- to take them out. Just ugh. Can't wait for TWD to return. FTWD had potential, but it looks like complete garbage just trying to cash in on TWD's success.

I know. Last night just pissed me off. The ONLY reasonably decent character (Adams) gets tortured and maimed by the Salvadoran Civil War guy. He could very well be executed by him next episode. I can't stand any of the main characters. None of them are sympathetic in any way.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I enjoy TWD and FTWD just cause the zombie apocalypse fascinates me, but does anyone else have a hard time believing the military would have been overtaken by these zombies around the globe? They are slow as hell and easy to take out. I have a hard time believing they would get overtaken by these slow plodding walkers.

That's what I liked about World War Z movie. VIPs were evacuated to aircraft carriers and the world governments were still operational.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Yes. Somebody just fucking nuke LA already or at least let's see some of these losers get taken out. At least we saw the Salvadoran's wife get taken out with a bolt gun, so that was something. But next episode I want to see some carnage.

Unfortunately, almost all of these assholes are probably going to survive until next season.

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
That's what I liked about World War Z movie. VIPs were evacuated to aircraft carriers and the world governments were still operational.

Yeah it's not just believable. No flying VIPs to aircraft carriers or remote arctic bases. Just everyone going full stupid to the point of absurdity. I guess Kirkman needed that though for his zombie apocalypse to actually work (the zombies won unlike where they lost in World War Z).

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I know. Last night just pissed me off. The ONLY reasonably decent character (Adams) gets tortured and maimed by the Salvadoran Civil War guy. He could very well be executed by him next episode. I can't stand any of the main characters. None of them are sympathetic in any way.

I am down with the Salvadoran guy. He knew something was up from the beginning and he is just doing what he has to to get to the bottom of this and get to his wife.

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
The end scene was neat as our torturer magically transports himself to the LA stadium (which I assume is many miles away from the neighborhood) - no army goons or walkers along the way. Ughh.

I wondered the same thing? And when the guys left the hummers running outside to go help their comrades, and only 2 returned? Right.....

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012
Yeah it's not just believable. No flying VIPs to aircraft carriers or remote arctic bases. Just everyone going full stupid to the point of absurdity. I guess Kirkman needed that though for his zombie apocalypse to actually work (the zombies won unlike where they lost in World War Z).

the problem is how anyone can be turned into a zombie
if it will be airborne also then they have a good chance
to overrun the living with few pockets of population in extremely remote areas
that it can not spread

airborne from the other hand means that noone is safe and without
bio bunkers and bio suits all are doomed to be converted to zombies

so we are stuck with the boy fluid and re animation of the dead
people dying from what ever cause returning to life as zombies after a while
which can be addressed easily
destroy the body of the dead

so we are left with the classical bitten from a zombie
while in the beginning it can cause a surprise not knowing the tread
there is a problem here
that the zombies attack to eat thus destroying the bodies of the people that
they attack thus they make no new zombies

so it leaves the unlucky ones bitten and run away

so zombies can not increase their numbers
they only way they have a chance is a triggering factor that turns a good portion of the population into zombies to begin

that what we saw in the classical moo vie with a comet being responsible for the zombies

well yes their huge problems with the zombie as zombie
but that from 1 person to be able to overrun earth it is not possible

but what no moovie or series has addressed is how long a zombie lives
they need to eat so how long without food??
do they need water????
if they are dead and no blood is moving how long before the body gives out

and the show is awful

they are going to evacuate a city
that means they are loosing contol of it
but so far the army mooves around in empty roads
and still they loose control lol

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

The only good actor is the hispanic father.

The rest might be good actors, but they lack any chemistry in this series. Travis and the blonde are not a convincing couple for example.

I still think this is a short lived series as they seem to be trying to squeeze a lot in with out actually filming anything. This last episode was decent though.... They just left a lot of gaps and I'm still convinced they shoudl have done this from the view of the first responders/military and had a mini-series within a series where you get left with 3 or 4 different cliff hangers unrelated to each other.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
That's the thing...they're acting hardcore, like they've been in zombie combat for months. It's been 9 days. Ranks wouldn't fall apart that quickly if the plague hit...sure, the soldiers would be freaked out (especially having to lock all of those people in the stadium), but they're acting like they've been at zombie war forever.

I don't buy it.

That's the root of my frustration I guess. Is this the writers trying to indicate that Soldiers in the US Army under these circumstances are playing out some bullshit PTSD from the recent wars on the civilian populace?

It just pisses me off that within 9 days the US Army are "the government" and that down to almost the lowest level we see them effectively exterminating their own neighbors and such with complete abandon. Hell, last night implied they're doing it to each other too, all in just 9 or 10 days.

So, either they do a flashback season or something where we learn that this whole thing was some kind of military bio-weapon gone awry and that's why the US Army that respond are so casual about their violent response. Or, I get more and more pissed, especially as they show them effectively looting the neighborhood and abandoning the place. :mad:

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012
That's the root of my frustration I guess. Is this the writers trying to indicate that Soldiers in the US Army under these circumstances are playing out some bullshit PTSD from the recent wars on the civilian populace?

It just pisses me off that within 9 days the US Army are "the government" and that down to almost the lowest level we see them effectively exterminating their own neighbors and such with complete abandon. Hell, last night implied they're doing it to each other too, all in just 9 or 10 days.

So, either they do a flashback season or something where we learn that this whole thing was some kind of military bio-weapon gone awry and that's why the US Army that respond are so casual about their violent response. Or, I get more and more pissed, especially as they show them effectively looting the neighborhood and abandoning the place. :mad:

when i complained on how the army is portrayed
everyone attack me to kill me

now that we see that the army acts exactly as i said it is
now everyone is pissed how the army is portrayed??

media is a huge propaganda machine for the usa
and it us used to swift and create opinions

so why the show shows the normal behavior of the army
to sterilize an area without any serious attempts to evacuate
or protect the population

telling that you turn from blood
we see the army clearly prisoning people that have no contact to the zombie
and thus zero chance of turning
the rich black guy why he is still under arrest????
why he was not moved with the others in the safe zone ???

and the plan to withdraw from the city
not only not trying to evacuate any civilian
but kill them and then live!?!?!?!?!?!?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

I'm thinking they have to go this route to make the story work.

They should have known how to bait zombies. The Governor figured it out with his loudspeaker pits, the TWD group knew how to make noise at windows/doors before entering. One jet or helicopter drew a giant zombie horde. In the most recent episode, fully trained and well armed military squad enters infested building and gets cornered?

In "real-life," they'd probably have this outbreak in the bag within weeks just by digging giant pits blasting music 24/7 while people lived under curfew quietly.

I think the military is treating the civilians like prisoners because even after only 9 days this squad lost their first protected zone (stadium).

Finally showed the low moral and break down of chain of command of the soldiers. With several of them not wanting to follow their commanders orders.

The morale break thing is probably to show how the military became ineffective and the world ended.

I think it's implied that the military was dealing with the problem for weeks, even months before there was a full-blown outbreak.

The big mistake was the "9 days later" thing. It felt way too soon or rushed. LA went from riots/cops shooting zombies in streets to LA is completely devastated, zombies have full control, and only a few sparse camps under military control exist. All in 9 days with the main characters not looking much worse for wear?

Ogrinz

Dec 2, 2012
the problem is how anyone can be turned into a zombie
if it will be airborne also then they have a good chance
to overrun the living with few pockets of population in extremely remote areas
that it can not spread

airborne from the other hand means that noone is safe and without
bio bunkers and bio suits all are doomed to be converted to zombies

so we are stuck with the boy fluid and re animation of the dead
people dying from what ever cause returning to life as zombies after a while
which can be addressed easily
destroy the body of the dead

so we are left with the classical bitten from a zombie
while in the beginning it can cause a surprise not knowing the tread
there is a problem here
that the zombies attack to eat thus destroying the bodies of the people that
they attack thus they make no new zombies

so it leaves the unlucky ones bitten and run away

so zombies can not increase their numbers
they only way they have a chance is a triggering factor that turns a good portion of the population into zombies to begin

that what we saw in the classical moo vie with a comet being responsible for the zombies

well yes their huge problems with the zombie as zombie
but that from 1 person to be able to overrun earth it is not possible

but what no moovie or series has addressed is how long a zombie lives
they need to eat so how long without food??
do they need water????
if they are dead and no blood is moving how long before the body gives out

and the show is awful

they are going to evacuate a city
that means they are loosing contol of it
but so far the army mooves around in empty roads
and still they loose control lol
Actually the movie 28 weeks later brought up this issue. In the movie the zombies eventually become unable to move from decay

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
ALIVE - you might be making good points but I can't read what you are writing. You ever hear of sentences?

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Weed really helped me out with episode 5. I don't know what to say about this series.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
ALIVE - you might be making good points but I can't read what you are writing. You ever hear of sentences?
Ditto. I generally skip over his posts since I don't have the motivation to try to deconstruct his grammar. If someone quotes him, I'll try to extract the meaning from the quoter. I figure I've at least got a chance that way.
Weed really helped me out with episode 5. I don't know what to say about this series.
Yeah, I really think you need to be stoned to get anything out of this show. Of course if you're stoned enough, pretty much any moving object becomes entertaining.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
I like how when the guy gets to the stadium the lights are still on, I guess it's the same people who keep mowing the grass in The Walking Dead.

or how fake the whole thing is. Dead people who are still walking and killing and the only way to stop them is to shoot them in the head. I mean seriously does no one understand how the human body works. :biggrin:

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
I'm thinking they have to go this route to make the story work.

They should have known how to bait zombies. The Governor figured it out with his loudspeaker pits, the TWD group knew how to make noise at windows/doors before entering. One jet or helicopter drew a giant zombie horde. In the most recent episode, fully trained and well armed military squad enters infested building and gets cornered?

In "real-life," they'd probably have this outbreak in the bag within weeks just by digging giant pits blasting music 24/7 while people lived under curfew quietly.

The morale break thing is probably to show how the military became ineffective and the world ended.

I think it's implied that the military was dealing with the problem for weeks, even months before there was a full-blown outbreak.

The big mistake was the "9 days later" thing. It felt way too soon or rushed. LA went from riots/cops shooting zombies in streets to LA is completely devastated, zombies have full control, and only a few sparse camps under military control exist. All in 9 days with the main characters not looking much worse for wear?

I suspect budget, the whole thing seems a bit rushed from 1 day to day 9. Oh well, better that some shows are being made and hopefully the dark ages of reality tv is winding down. Thanks to Netflix,AMC etc..

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I suspect budget, the whole thing seems a bit rushed from 1 day to day 9. Oh well, better that some shows are being made and hopefully the dark ages of reality tv is winding down. Thanks to Netflix,AMC etc..
Seriously, I put reality programming on the same level as professional wrestling, but then both seem to be pretty popular. Most people must have access to better drugs than I can get.

I'd much rather accept some ridiculous premise like magic, zombies or even magic zombies than watch some of the tripe that's on tv.

The only one I've seen that I actually like is The Curse of Oak Island because, well . . . pirate treasure. Plus there's some interesting history and some really whacked out crazy theories. But even that I tend to fast forward through.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
media is a huge propaganda machine for the usa
and it us used to swift and create opinions

I still think you need to watch The Last Ship. The navy is portrayed very well. So, in Hollywood is the Army bad (FTWD) and the Navy good (TLS)? Just trying to figure out this media propaganda.

And what propaganda are all the super hero movies trying to tell us? They have been very big the past 10 years or so. It must be a really important message.

The other and simplest option is they are all just entertainment.

Read where there is going to be a webisode about an out break on a plane and one of the characters will be in season 2 of FTWD. I think it will be the plane they showed in one scene that wobbled in the air before straightening back up.