Faux outrage of the day- "not optimal"

Oct 16, 1999
Apparently we are all supposed to be outraged over this. From Obama's appearance on The Daily Show:

[Jon Stewart: "Is part of the investigation helping the communication between these divisions? Not just what happened in Benghazi, but what happened within. Because I would say, even you would admit, it was not the optimal response, at least to the American people, as far as all of us being on the same page."

Obama: "Here's what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal. We’re going to fix it. All of it. And what happens, during the course of a presidency, is that the government is a big operation and any given time something screws up."

Looks like Fox News and John McCain are kicking us off.
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-th...-president-obama-knew-and-when-he-knew-it-ben

Oct 16, 1999
And right on cue.
NOTOPTIMALK_20121019_075646.jpg

'President Obama tells 'The Daily Show' host Jon Stewart' that the murder of four Americans during a terrorist attack on the US Consulate in Libya was 'not optimal.'
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/19/obama-on-libya-terror-attack-not-optimal/

Edit: Had to add the caption and article link. Outrage away wingnuts.

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Far better to be outraged over the outrage. Then the other side can be outraged over the outrage generated by their outrage.

In other news - a political statement made by someone was viewed by people with opposing views in a negative light.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Fix it = print more money and hand it out to congress, wall street, and all the big defense contractors.

Oct 16, 1999
Far better to be outraged over the outrage. Then the other side can be outraged over the outrage generated by their outrage.

In other news - a political statement made by someone was viewed by people with opposing views in a negative light.

It's not even that. Every time Obama speaks the rightwing outrage machine sits around like Beavis and Butthead going "Huhuhuh, he said 'foreskin,' huhuhuh."

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
They're not really trying to convince anybody, but rather to hold the faithful in emotional thrall. They're quite desperate even to accomplish that, obviously.

It means that their arguments lack substance, that they're trying to compensate for that, to avoid the real issues & manufacture their own out of thin air. Emotion clouds judgment, and they'll do their best to keep it cloudy.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It's a joke, one that righties & women haters really have trouble appreciating... It's not outrage at all.

Probably because its a bad joke. Its only actually funny when you make comparisons to fundamentalist Mormons having binders of women for marriage.

And wow. I cannot believe Obama said that. This is pretty much his "47%" moment :D

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Which, I believe, replaced the "Paul Ryan didn't *really* wash dishes" "faux outrage of the day".

Awww- Ryan got busted when attempting a cheap trick, and now his fanbois are all butthurt because he did.

Righties should be embarrassed, willing to question their own judgment when their boy exhibits such poor judgment on his own, but they just shout Team! Team! Team! instead.

The episode & the aftermath illustrate why Righties are looked down upon by people who actually think with the head on their shoulders rather than the head in their trousers...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Probably because its a bad joke. Its only actually funny when you make comparisons to fundamentalist Mormons having binders of women for marriage.

And wow. I cannot believe Obama said that. This is pretty much his "47%" moment :D

You wish.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
See this is whats messed up with the left.

Their outrage is always justfied (Ryan's pic).

The right outrage is always 'faux'.

Then they are surprised by the answers they hear from the right, because they are in a state of self delusion that everything the right says is a lie. Its a lie because that's what they call it.

Nothing but a circular argument on the left.

Republicans are liars.

Why?

Because republicans lie.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Obama joking about the deaths of Americans being bad for his campaign? You got to be kidding me. That is over the top, even for Obama. Even for Biden for pete's sake.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
See this is whats messed up with the left.

Their outrage is always justfied (Ryan's pic).

The right outrage is always 'faux'.

Then they are surprised by the answers they hear from the right, because they are in a state of self delusion that everything the right says is a lie. Its a lie because that's what they call it.

Nothing but a circular argument on the left.

Republicans are liars.

Why?

Because republicans lie.

No. The comparison fails because of the merits of the individual 'outrages'. The 'binders full of women', '47%', and soup kitchen outrages have something that this latest right wing attack does not have...actual substance behind them. You cannot simply say that they are equal simply because they come from the opposite sides of the political spectrum. Stop crying wolf.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003

Of course you think that, you live in your own reality of wishful thinking.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Awww- Ryan got busted when attempting a cheap trick, and now his fanbois are all butthurt because he did.

Righties should be embarrassed, willing to question their own judgment when their boy exhibits such poor judgment on his own, but they just shout Team! Team! Team! instead.

The episode & the aftermath illustrate why Righties are looked down upon by people who actually think with the head on their shoulders rather than the head in their trousers...

Oh - I get it. If it's someone the left doesn't approve of, it's a "cheap trick". If it's someone the left *does* approve of, it's obviously "faux outrage".

:rolleyes:

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
No. The comparison fails because of the merits of the individual 'outrages'. The 'binders full of women', '47%', and soup kitchen outrages have something that this latest right wing attack does not have...actual substance behind them. You cannot simply say that they are equal simply because they come from the opposite sides of the political spectrum. Stop crying wolf.

Oh - calling the deaths of four Americans (in an "act of terror" - "not act of terror" - "act of terror") merely "not optimal" doesn't have any substance?

Wolf, indeed.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Optimal is actually a really good choice of words to describe what these kinds of acts are from a high level view. I applaud Obama for his choice of wording here, i probably would have used something similar. Favorable maybe?