Fast and the Furious, Tokyo Drift.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
i saw it on ppv the other night and it was not too bad.

obviously doesn't rank as one of the all time great movies but i didn't think it was an all time worst either.

i was reasonably entertained for about 2 hours, i've definitely seen worse movies.

am i the only one that saw this movie that feels this way?

btw the scene at the end was kind of corny.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

obviously doesn't rank as one of the all time great movies but i didn't think it was an all time worst either.

i was reasonably entertained for about 2 hours, i've definitely seen worse movies.

The whole movie was kind of corny. It isn't as bad as House of the Dead. If you like seeing bunch of Asians drifting imports....this is your movie....What other movies can you see bunch of idiots drifting their cars?

"Its not the rideeee, its the riderrrrrr"- sooooo cornnnyyyyyyy

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
I saw it and can't stand the fact that the Japanese culture was so blatantly misrepresented.

-It was totally Chinese-ified- (like Chinese or Korean made Sushi..it was that bad)

Otherwise I did actually like the cheeseball acting of the main character. DK was really fvckin ugly.

jtusa

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Coolest scene I thought was when they were driving away from the bad guy, drifting through traffic, there was the huge crowd in the intersection, and the music changed to the slow, dramatic tune as they drifted through the crowd. Cheesy, but kinda cool.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
frankly, it was probably my complete lack of expectations that made the movie seem better.

as to the comment above regarding korean sushi :roll;)

how as this movie "koreanized"?? it was no more korean that it was japanese.

the fact that they all spoke english was "interesting".

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: shabby
Ya it wasnt that bad, except for the guys southern yokel accent.

Dude, that is a great link in your sig. The wild thing is, I remember every one of those fights. Great highlights.

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
frankly, it was probably my complete lack of expectations that made the movie seem better.

as to the comment above regarding korean sushi :roll;)

how as this movie "koreanized"?? it was no more korean that it was japanese.

the fact that they all spoke english was "interesting".

Yeah, I reasonably enjoyed it when I went to see it in theaters. I was bored one afternoon, and I got in before noon for $5.

Certainly not a masterpiece of a movie, but alot better than I had been expecting after the last one. And that one I own on DVD (crazy mom gave it to me, and it's in full screen too :( )

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
How come a lot of the main Asian actors were actually Chinese, not Japanese? Are Japanese that bad at acting/speaking English?

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Wasn't a great movie by any stretch. The driving scenes were decent, but that's about it.

Go watch the Initial D live action movie if you want good drifting.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: deathkoba
I saw it and can't stand the fact that the Japanese culture was so blatantly misrepresented.

-It was totally Chinese-ified- (like Chinese or Korean made Sushi..it was that bad)

Otherwise I did actually like the cheeseball acting of the main character. DK was really fvckin ugly.

My wife just came from Japan 5 years ago having lived there 30+ years previously...she said it was pretty accurate even though sensationalized for movies.

There are Night Kids that drift en masse down public roads.

The movie was a great car flick...it's not an Academy Award deal, but it's entertaining.

Those that opposed it are just typical chest-beaters that are usually would love to be more ricer if they had the checkbook.

One downside that I will admit is those that have AE86's and 240sx's get enough fan boy non-sense as it is. I have a 98 240sx SE...I live in a major city where car modifications are popular.

If I am at a car wash or gas station and some ricer-wannabe is there I get the typical: "Yo you gotz the SR in this or did you go RB/VG?" "How fast can you drift in this?" :)confused;). "Yo...this silvia man is so hot" (it's not a Silvia though...same car though really for the most part). "Only 17's? [wheel size], man hook it up with some 18 or 19's"

I used to bash the whole drift scene as I didn't understand it. To me drifting was something you didn't want to do, so I thought these were just guys pushing their cars beyond the limits to go sliding out of a turn.

When I learned more I realized these are some of the fastest guys on a track, they drift for fun and the challenge of bringing their expensive car within the limits of major bodywork damage to just a paint scuff to you couldn't put a piece of paper between how close they came. Then you have the teams that do a sequence together....driver vs static objects is one thing...two drivers vs each other and the static stuff is insane.

To some of the comments above: the guy's yokel accent was intentional...they wanted him to be the worst fit in Japan and this scene.

Getting a fullscreen DVD :(! I have rented them by accident sometimes and it's almost not worth watching it. I am running just a 32" normal set (toshiba cinema series tube) and letterbox is how I want my movies to be :) Can't wait to move and hunt down a 40" Sony Wega widescreen CRT.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JackBurton
Originally posted by: shabby
Ya it wasnt that bad, except for the guys southern yokel accent.

Dude, that is a great link in your sig. The wild thing is, I remember every one of those fights. Great highlights.

"Furious Angels - PrideFC "

holy..

Best post in this thread!

thx for pointing it out

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
I thought it was a pretty bad movie, but I still liked it because of the cars, the music, and the girls. The story itself pretty much sucked.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Great analysis Ebert, you rock at teh movie reviewing.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
i thought it was alright...until they put an import motor and fart pipe on the mustang...sorry for the spoiler, but it was clearly..retarded

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer

Great analysis Ebert, you rock at teh movie reviewing.

thanks, i thought i did a good job with that particular phrasing. ;)

mb i should have said, one thumb to the right and the other to the left.