Farcry and Uplay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I fixed the image link above in case anyone thought I was being sarcastic. Looks like they don't allow direct linking.

http://www80.zippyshare.com/v/wAZzYa9T/file.html

The orange "download" button will get full size 4K.

How the game was configured in that shot is totally irrelevant. Ask yourself; why was the show presented? The purpose of it was to demonstrate the reflection bug, which it will do regardless of what you perceive as a "blur filter" (likely the lack of AF and low foliage detail settings). For whatever reason you've fixated on that image and I have no idea what point you think you're making. "It looks misconfigured" you say, like you're on to something of vital importance. If it offends you so, then here, a fully configured version:
If it's so irrelevant, why make comments about vegetation and a blurry ground?

Look at a road; how far before it's completely blurred?

Why are we looking at the road in your screenshot if its sole purpose is to show missing reflections?

Funnily enough the bug is still there...
I never claimed it wasn't, just that it was virtually a non-issue. I also pointed out that your comments about dirt and foliage are not represented accurately by your image.

When the game is configured properly, there's very little vegetation pop-in; certainly a lot less than many newer games I've seen.

If you want to uninstall the game because of missing reflections which almost nobody would notice (including me until someone pointed it out), go right ahead. But telling people the game has "serious graphics problems" is utter lunacy.

These are serious graphics problems: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2368569

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Anyways, FC1 was a great game. If you still like the graphics today or not, is a personal opinion. I guess whether it was a great game was too, but some of the things it brought to the genre was pretty awesome IMO.

borderdeal

Aug 4, 2013
It is not bad at all. I never finished FC1 or 2 but I did 3 and I am replying it now at 4k glory and it looks amazing

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It should be pretty well evident to anyone with half a brain that the shot was lacking in AF, and I think you know exactly what blur I'm talking about but if you're planning to play coy then here's a sample:
Uh no, it "isn't pretty well evident", especially in an 11 year old game which no longer has IQ scrutiny and people likely haven't experienced in-game graphics for that long.

You posted a hopelessly inadequate picture and then back-pedaled with "well, everyone knows it doesn't really look like that."

Jesus... you tell me genius!

Me: Reflections are broken in Vista+, here is example shot.

You: Shot looks fugly. Why is ground blurred? What's wrong with birds? Etc.
You in response: Look at a road; how far before it's completely blurred?

That's a direct quote from you discussing road blur in the picture. Then you get upset when it's pointed out that it doesn't actually look like that, and you call this fact irrelevant.

A screenshot that isn't indicative of what you're discussing isn't irrelevant, it's trolling.

What the hell did that have to do with anything? I pulled up some old reference screenshot out of archive, not thinking for one second that you'd start obsessing over precisely how the game was configured when it was captured years ago.
How about I post a black and white image to show a tree missing, then start commenting about the lack of color? Because anyone with half a brain knows it has color and shouldn't be obsessing, right? :rolleyes:

At the risk of falling prey to one of your little semantics games, I would suggest that using highest in-game settings (ie. how the vast majority of people will be playing) should fall comfortably within the definition of "properly configured", and under that configuration there is an inordinate amount of pop-in. Under a best case scenario, with vegetation increased as far as can be achieved via ini without rendering the game unplayable, there is still plenty. I'm sure you will provide your 'ideal' configuration for reference.
The vast majority of people won't notice some reflections missing in an 11 year old game, and certainly won't write it off as having "serious graphics issues" and stop playing it.

As for "in-ordinate pop-in", nonsense. I played the game last year and there was nothing in-ordinate about it. And anyone that states a game has "serious graphic issues" because of virtually unnoticeable missing reflections can't be trusted to have sane judgement.

You must have quite the predicament with Dark Messiah, eh? On the one hand you seem to like the game. On the other, it has vegetation that faces the player, obviously another "serious graphics issue" which demands the game gets written off.

You wrote off Far Cry 2 because of that, didn't you? Going back to the majority of people, most would agree Far Cry 2 has beautiful graphics, even today. I'm in that group.

I'm all for accurate rendering. Heck, I was one of the first reviewers in the world to publish an article about the 5xxx series' deficient AF, if not the first. But there's a point where things can be taken too far and become irrational OCD. Factoring in the 11 year old age of Far Cry 1 and it's completely smooth and beautiful playability on modern systems, it holds up impressively well.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I dislike Uplay a lot but it is worth it for FC3 and FC4. Just my opinion. I enjoy those games that much. A shame Uplay is attached to them.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I posted a picture that was 100% adequate for the intended purpose of demonstrating the reflection bug.
Far_Cry.jpg

That picture is also 100% adequate for demonstrating missing reflections, but it's also disingenuous for me to post it up because it would be trolling. Like your picture.

Look at the very text you just quoted; it says "look at a road". "A road". Not "the road in the image I posted above", which is what I would have written had I been referring to that damned image.
Here, let me try acting like you:

(After posting the image above).

"Far Cry has bad jagged edges. Look at an edge and see how bad it is".

What's that? My screenshot is absolutely useless because I didn't even turn on AA? That's ok, because it was for the sole purpose of reflections, and I said "an edge", "not the edges in the screenshot". :rolleyes:

Far Cry Pop-in at highest in-game settings: https://youtu.be/RtJdQ0DVWbU
Comedy gold. When you play the game do you constantly slide around sideways like that? You really couldn't be any more transparent if you tried.

I never said the game doesn't have pop-in, just that it doesn't have "serious graphics issues that make it unplayable" like you claimed. Crysis has pop-in as well, as do most open world games.

Speaking of which, have you even finished Crysis? What were you doing in 2007 when it first came out? There's absolutely no way you were running above medium unless you were playing at 800x600 or something.

36-chart_crysis_gpu_vh_1024_trilinear.png

Ouch, 1024x768 on the fastest GPU at the time - 8800 Ultra. Would you say Far Cry's missing reflections are a bigger problem than playing a slideshow at Voodoo 2 style resolutions?

Even medium can't reach 60FPS:

26-chart_crysis_gpu_m_1024_trilinear.png

And that's still at 1024x768, with far more pop-in than Far Cry 1.

I already know from past discussions you absolutely refuse to reduce detail levels, but you also won't tolerate less 60FPS. It must've been a very difficult time for you back then as I'm not sure even 640x480 would reach 60 FPS.

I think it’s telling that you’ve felt the need to start throwing up flagrant straw man arguments like those. I never “wrote off” Dark Messiah, nor have I ever mentioned its foliage. FC2 is just a poor game overall, in my opinion, and I would have written it off whether it had the cheap foliage or not. I have voiced my dismay at that style of foliage, said that it contributed to FC2’s underwhelming visuals, but the only person here to have suggested that it is a “serious graphics issue” is you. There’s a difference between a bug like Far Cry’s missing reflections and an (ill-conceived) feature like swivelling foliage.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36975779&postcount=12

You posted:
I think it's ugly, and I thought it was ugly in 2009 when I got it bundled with my GTX 285. I think one of the main reasons was it's especially poor grass (IIRC the grass transparencies swivel to track the player?).
Don't act like I'm the irrational one making stuff up. That's why I made the comment about Dark Messiah. In order to preserve any kind of consistency in your statements, you surely must also consider Dark Messiah to be "ugly"?

You're telling me that the Evergreen AF bug was more disruptive than having half the water reflections in an island based game completely absent?
Absolutely, because I don't need to know anything about the game to tell the AF is wrong. I also don’t need to pore through a Windows XP screenshot archive.

This is "virtually unnoticeable" to you:
Tell me, which are stock reflections, and which have I purposely reduced reflection details?

Reflections.jpg

If this is such an easy problem to identify like you claim, you should have absolutely no trouble telling me.

Last edited: