Far Cry 6 release date pushed out.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
G-Man Lives is a solid fan of the series, he just posted a review.
He wasnt terribly happy, but also not terribly upset.
Yes, there is a flamethrower mission.

i will almost certainly play this.
I will 99% certainly NOT pay full price.

look, i like shooting things. I like stealthing and headshotting, and also like big .50 snipers, and i like to climb weird paths up a map and infliltrate an enemy base so, Far Cry is my idea of a fun casual game. I'm not saying they are great, but they are ok. When i play them i find myself "in the zone" quite a lot, so, not much more to ask from a $20 game.

Because that is the absolute max i am willing to drop on this.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The game just seems dirty, like a bad film grain is all over it. Gonna shelve it until some work has been done by mods I think.
Actually I think there is a film grain effect in the settings. You can disable it on Windows but I'm not sure about the consoles.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Put in more time over the weekend. It picks up once you get the to main island and get some key things unlocked, but it's still just the farcry formula.

Despite starting the game with keyboard and mouse since it's a shooter, I actually started playing with the ps5 controller today as I got one for my bday and it's one of the few games that support the adaptive trigger features on the PC. It's an impressive feeling to have the tactile feedback of the triggers change depending on what you're handling at the time. It does it's best to mimic the feeling of pulling a gun trigger, and will actually push the trigger against your finger while firing in full auto. It's a subtle thing, but well done enough that I'll probably stick with it.

Reactions: DigDog

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Actually I think there is a film grain effect in the settings. You can disable it on Windows but I'm not sure about the consoles.
In Nvidia control panel for my Nvidia video card I think the sharpening option affects the grain. I've got the sharpening on a high setting in it. Haven't turned it off yet to see if it makes any difference in FC6, I'll get around to it.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
The game just seems dirty, like a bad film grain is all over it. Gonna shelve it until some work has been done by mods I think.
Nexus mods are up including a fix for that issue that came out this morning. Going to install this later today to see it it lifts some of the grain off.

Edit: Well damn it didn't realize it requires a mod installer. And to even find it you have to do on Discord to the FC6 installer thread and look near the top of the chat window posts to find the post with the link for it. I'd rather not but I may look into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathReborn

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Nexus mods are up including a fix for that issue that came out this morning. Going to install this later today to see it it lifts some of the grain off.

Nice

Didn't have any issues (or notice) the film grain, but the lens flair is annoying.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Nice

Didn't have any issues (or notice) the film grain, but the lens flair is annoying.
I found out it needs a separate mod installer. I'm not a fan of those and I edited my post above to mention the installer requirement. I'm more of a manually placing and editing files person for adding mods.

Reactions: DeathReborn

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005

Edit: Well damn it didn't realize it requires a mod installer. And to even find it you have to do on Discord to the FC6 installer thread and look near the top of the chat window posts to find the post with the link for it. I'd rather not but I may look into it.
I found out it needs a separate mod installer. I'm not a fan of those and I edited my post above to mention the installer requirement. I'm more of a manually placing and editing files person for adding mods.

I don't do Discord so will wait for it to become normally downloadable. I have found no Film Grain setting so gonna sit on FC6 for a while. Thanks for the heads up though.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Anyone know how to stop the map cursor from hop skipping in different directions from one map icon to another? It's kind of annoying although I can see why they did that to hi-light important places I guess. Just want it to be smoother when using keys.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the latest nexus mods manager, Vortex, is actually not so bad to use and the interface is nice and installing mods is pretty easy, compared to the old system.
Also nexus mods has a ton of good stuff you cannot find elsewhere. So, if you have another mod system you like using, fine. But at least consider it. You have to sign up for a free account but I thats all. And so far it doesnt seem like they give away your email or anything else.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I don't do Discord so will wait for it to become normally downloadable. I have found no Film Grain setting so gonna sit on FC6 for a while. Thanks for the heads up though.
The sharpening options in the Nvidia control panel has a grain setting called Ignore Grain below the sharpening option. It didn't really help even though it seems to remove a lot of grain. The graphics overall look a little better without it for me. You can try it anyway if you have a Nvidia card.

I went ahead and tried the "Clean View" mod with the "FC6 Installer" from Discord. And it's not bad, it's ok as it gets rid of a lot of grain, dirty marks, and sun glare. But the original in 4K HD textures with all settings ultra maxed looks better for me in that it has better contrast, shiny surfaces and shadows making the overall image better than Clean View. But at least I'll keep the FC6 Installer for other mods that may come out requiring it.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
the latest nexus mods manager, Vortex, is actually not so bad to use and the interface is nice and installing mods is pretty easy, compared to the old system.
Also nexus mods has a ton of good stuff you cannot find elsewhere. So, if you have another mod system you like using, fine. But at least consider it. You have to sign up for a free account but I thats all. And so far it doesnt seem like they give away your email or anything else.
I've rarely used a mod manager but had to use the FC6 Installer, if that's considered a mod manager, from Discord. Was the only way I could try out the Clean View mod from Nexus. So that meant since over a decade ago in the Oblivion and Skyrim days I just wouldn't install mods that required a mod manager. I'd wait until it they'd release a manual method of dropping in files or editing existing files. So for years I've been getting manually installed mods from Nexus and others.

I guess that made me miss out on some mods over the years. I didn't want to bother with managing and upkeep of a mod manager except a couple of them. The one I mentioned above for Far Cry 6 and WeMod for some Cryisis 3 mods.

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
I'm a sucker for Far Cry games (even Primal) but this one gets a meh/10 so far.

They took away the ability upgrade system and importance of hunting. Stealth is still an option but it feels much more like a first person Just Cause.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I'm a sucker for Far Cry games (even Primal) but this one gets a meh/10 so far.

They took away the ability upgrade system and importance of hunting. Stealth is still an option but it feels much more like a first person Just Cause.

My brother is a sucker for pre-orders and he has dropped Far Cry 6 as he likes stealth and FC6 apparently respawns enemies ultra fast. He got fed up of trying to clear a location only for a sniper he just killed to respawn as soon as he turned around. I keep telling him to stop pre-ordering but he just won't learn to wait for patches.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
My brother is a sucker for pre-orders and he has dropped Far Cry 6 as he likes stealth and FC6 apparently respawns enemies ultra fast. He got fed up of trying to clear a location only for a sniper he just killed to respawn as soon as he turned around. I keep telling him to stop pre-ordering but he just won't learn to wait for patches.

I noticed that too, it's pretty damn annoying when they spawn close to you after tagging everyone too.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Gave it another punt today and the enemies still almost instantly re-spawn... utter garbage devs on this game it seems. Valhalla still has it's drunk upon loading bug too so perhaps it's Ubisoft in general being a bit pants.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
how is the HD Texture Pack (PC)?...when it was first released I heard it had issues for Nvidia owners (I have an RTX 3080, AMD 5800X and 32GB RAM)...are there any noticeable visual improvements with it enabled or should I not even bother installing it (I'm playing at 1440p G-Sync)?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Hmmm, I picked fc6 up on sale, but... I don't like it. Too much script and maybe now I can speak Spanish, I like that the dogs (pets) can now travel with you. There are some things I like but, I don't know the story sucked, unlike FC5, and new dawn. Rather take down some religious freaks... I guess that's just me. lol but FC3, was great as well.... On to other games. Now I'm not sure what I should get.

toss up I suppose between Red Dead Redemption 2 or cyberpunk. hmmmm

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
in the Settings menu there is 'FidelityFX CAS' and 'FidelityFX variable shading'...I have an RTX 3080, is it better to enable those two FidelityFX settings?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
My brother is a sucker for pre-orders and he has dropped Far Cry 6 as he likes stealth and FC6 apparently respawns enemies ultra fast.
whaaaaaaaaaaaat ?????

like, outpost enemies? as in "clear this outpost" missions?? WITH RESPAWN ?!?

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
whaaaaaaaaaaaat ?????

like, outpost enemies? as in "clear this outpost" missions?? WITH RESPAWN ?!?

More like in a fight you kill one group, turn to kill another and the first group respawns and starts shooting you. We're not talking long distance but 20-30m away and just a matter of seconds, turn quick enough and you can actually watch them spawn and start shooting. I actually didn't mind the re-do a base takeover in FC4.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
More like in a fight you kill one group, turn to kill another and the first group respawns and starts shooting you. We're not talking long distance but 20-30m away and just a matter of seconds, turn quick enough and you can actually watch them spawn and start shooting. I actually didn't mind the re-do a base takeover in FC4.
that is both ridiculous, and an absolute deal breaker.
Let's be honest, Far Cry games are good, when it comes to shooting, mostly for the stealth, and then for the sniping. Standard firefights are not great at all, the healing mechanics are ludicrous, and when you get the LMG the game is practically over. So, stealth missions, mostly outpost takeovers, and fortress assault, are to me the core gameplay. If it's that broken, i'm not gonna play it.