Far Cry 5

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
SLI is dead. It's too bad nobody uses it as it's the only way to get great 4K performance with this game.

Oh well.

Most people don't want to spend money on a second GPU that only works in 1 out of 10 games, and even then only scales about 50%. So yeah you're right. SLI is dead. Also, why don't you have two Titan V's already? You're slacking man. Don't tell me Nvidia finally priced you out of your usual Titan SLI solution. They are pricing everyone out these days. Looks like you bit the dust there too.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Most people don't want to spend money on a second GPU that only works in 1 out of 10 games, and even then only scales about 50%. So yeah you're right. SLI is dead. Also, why don't you have two Titan V's already? You're slacking man. Don't tell me Nvidia finally priced you out of your usual Titan SLI solution. They are pricing everyone out these days. Looks like you bit the dust there too.

Bit right on and reeled right in.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
story is terrible, but so is every far cry story. It's sole purpose is to make an excuse for the setting.

In the case of Far Cry 5, the Montana setting is F'N awesome.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Bit right on and reeled right in.

No but serious, how well do they work in this game? Does SLI help you a lot anymore? I used it every gen since Geforce 6 series but stopped this gen. I find SLI with its poor scaling and reliability combined with frequent game breaking issues to be far more trouble than it's worth, regardless of cost. They'd almost have to pay me to use SLI these days. Don't take my Titan V price trolling too serious. I was just messing with you.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Ran into a somewhat game-breaking bug last time I played; during the "Atonement" mission where you meet John at the church in Fall's End. After you get outside and go to drive off with the AI driver, each time I died in that vehicle segment (which totally sucks by the way), I would re-spawn right as I got into the turret...

...but what's her face, who is supposed to drive the damn truck, spawns all the way across town and by the time she finally jogs over to the truck the mission times out and is forfeit and I can't progress because it will just keep looping. The only thing I can do is quit to the main menu and restart the mission if I so choose. There is no option to quite that particular mission whilst it's in progress. Annoying.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No but serious, how well do they work in this game? Does SLI help you a lot anymore? I used it every gen since Geforce 6 series but stopped this gen. I find SLI with its poor scaling and reliability combined with frequent game breaking issues to be far more trouble than it's worth, regardless of cost. They'd almost have to pay me to use SLI these days. Don't take my Titan V price trolling too serious. I was just messing with you.

I'd still use SLI if it meant only 20% scaling. I've been playing through Deus Ex Mankind Divided. There is no way I could get 60 fps 4K in DX12 (or even DX11) with a single card. It's worth it to me. When I get Far Cry 5 I'll most certainly be playing it with SLI enabled. You won't see me getting on the anti-mGPU bandwagon anytime soon.

Reactions: moonbogg

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

He could mine some crypto with them as well! With the current Ethereum prices and difficulty, he might make up to $4 a day after electricity costs. What an fantastic investment opportunity for someone with a $6,000 set of video cards!

Reactions: moonbogg

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
He could mine some crypto with them as well! With the current Ethereum prices and difficulty, he might make up to $4 a day after electricity costs. What an fantastic investment opportunity for someone with a $6,000 set of video cards!

You make it sound so tempting.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'd still use SLI if it meant only 20% scaling. I've been playing through Deus Ex Mankind Divided. There is no way I could get 60 fps 4K in DX12 (or even DX11) with a single card. It's worth it to me. When I get Far Cry 5 I'll most certainly be playing it with SLI enabled. You won't see me getting on the anti-mGPU bandwagon anytime soon.

A single Titan V with an EK water block might actually do it. You'd get more performance in every game, not just a few that support SLI. If I had two Titans like you I'd trade them for a Titan V and get an EK block and OC that sucker. Water cooling isn't everyone's thing though. An EK blocked, overclocked Titan V would be beautiful as hell. Absolutely beautiful.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A single Titan V with an EK water block might actually do it. You'd get more performance in every game, not just a few that support SLI. If I had two Titans like you I'd trade them for a Titan V and get an EK block and OC that sucker. Water cooling isn't everyone's thing though. An EK blocked, overclocked Titan V would be beautiful as hell. Absolutely beautiful.

Titan V is a powerful card. Most of it goes unused with gaming. For Volta being a new architecture, it really doesn't perform far above Pascal in everything when used for gaming. All indications are the next gaming centric Nvidia cards will be the way to go. They'll support SLI. Gotta have that of course.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
story is terrible, but so is every far cry story. It's sole purpose is to make an excuse for the setting.

In the case of Far Cry 5, the Montana setting is F'N awesome.
Problem is there is no main bad guy in this version.

Hopefully they patch that so you can protect father from it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Ever since I bought the helicopter gunship that's all I use to liberate the outposts. I also unlocked the flamethrower companion but he's not very useful. He ends up setting everything including himself on fire all the time. I will say that some of the characters are pretty funny in this one.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Man once you liberate an area the whole section becomes pretty boring, but at least now I can drive down the road a mile and not almost get killed 5 times in the process. Still really digging the game though and I finally have a bit of cash to do whatever the hell I want with. I'm still doing the tactical approach with long-range shots following up with takedowns and SMG hellfire where I can. MP5 in Far Cry has always been the near-perfect medium range weapon. Looks like they got rid of the Vector .45 though... that was my favorite in FC3.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
goddamn turkeys lol!

ok sooo I tried to stealth some fools and right before I pulled the trigger, a bear showed up and then everything went sideways--so I made a video of it.

No self-promotion of your you tube channel allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Ok, people you really gotta stop this. I was fully expecting tons of negative reviews and plenty of people saying it is a huge waste of money and time but you're all doing the opposite which makes me want to buy the game with money I don't currently have at the moment. So please, for the sake of the poor ones out there, stop this at once.

Oct 9, 1999
Ok, people you really gotta stop this. I was fully expecting tons of negative reviews and plenty of people saying it is a huge waste of money and time but you're all doing the opposite which makes me want to buy the game with money I don't currently have at the moment. So please, for the sake of the poor ones out there, stop this at once.
The DLC alone was why I wanted it. The coop with a buddy is awesome, entire game too but the DLC's is what we are waiting for.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Well then...

I haven't picked it up in a couple of days but I'm far from done. Many a religious yahoo to put down.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
oh just over here having a far cry moment in far cry 5 bc far cry gonna far cry.

No self-promotion of your you tube channel allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
The story line is annoying and I did not like the John Seed boss fight, but the rest of the game is hella fun. Doing stealth majority / commando clean up with Boomer for most of the outpost attacks. Almost done with the left side of the map.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Got to stop using the chopper to take down outpost, it is too easy and game breaking when all you have to do is circle around and wait for the bad guys to come out. Chopper to chopper and chopper to plane battles are also too easy.

fast traveling to a chopper spawn point is quick and spawning a chopper for free makes the game too easy.

Enjoy the game and dont use helicopter gun ships.

My 2 cents

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm enjoying it doing a mix of everything. I like using the choppers to get somewhere faster. Finished all the outposts in the second section. Still need to do all side misisons in there plush the stashes.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Me and a friend bought this game and are playing in co-op mode. We both love it. Story aside, we just love the freedom of doing wtf we want. Game runs fantastic on me rig. Running 4k mix of ultra and high settings without issue. The game is a blast.

Reactions: ericlp

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
$100 for ca 30 hours. Not even replayable once. Meanwhile long dark was $8 and got a good 180. Subnautica was ~$25 and lasted 150. Happily replayed Far cry 3 at least 3 times. 5 is balanced for controllers; absolutely no challenge. 2/10

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
^congratulations... nobody cares.

I reluctantly bought a gunship just because and used it to liberate an outpost or two, before coming to the stated conclusion that it made the process a breeze. You could always fly low and at least give those goons a chance though. I'm still primarily going the stealth route but I might squad up soon and see how that works out. There's just something so darn satisfying about picking off sentries one by one until there's the last one or two you can sneak kill.

Ghost or 100% loud is my jam.