Far Cry 5

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Graphics is meh but who cares if the story delivers right?
The story. Weird as *. Weirdo getting in choppa, choppa goes down, you escape and from 0-60 in 0 seconds you've found your new best mate in the world and is running missions for him. dis jointed dis located ... weird.. It looks like a letdown to me. I might give it one more chance but it is heading straight for the 'never gonna finish' pile of rubbish games as it looks now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That's the thing with far cry games, they are not known for the story. I agree the story sucks but this one does a better job moving things along at least with the side quests. If it had a very nice story the game would be an even more pleasure to play. Without a good story I can see how it would become boring after a while. Which is really why I never finished the others.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
mmmm, disagree, I found the storylines of 3 and 4 compelling, especially 3 iirc.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
So far I like the game. Lots of EyeCandy... 1950X Thread Ripper isn't even taxed... Maybe 20~30% resources used and stays cool playing the game with ultra everything the 1080ti doesn't skip a beat with usually frames well over 100plus @ 2560X1440. Runs nice and cool, fans barely spin on the GPU. I am taking my time tho. Not in any rush to finish it.

One really cool thing about the game, just picked up a corsair rgb keyboard. The latest CUE that was custom made for this game is amazing... It plays well and if very cool playing this game. I think, this is going to be the next generation for playing games. If you have not experienced it, you should. FC5 so far is the bomb if you have the right hardware.

The only con would be so far, the story line is a bit long, but the characters are pretty funny.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Far Cry games aren't played for their story. FC3's story was a joke since any reasonable human would find the first phone and contact their local embassy (you know, since kidnapping foreigners is generally frowned upon) and FC4's story was just convoluted as all hell with the good guys turning into bad guys and the bad guy not being such a bad guy. People play Far Cry games for the gameplay.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
That makes no sense at all.
Anyway, I am impacted by the crashes a lot, hope they fix that soon.
As for gameplay I just engaged a nutter with a bow with a scoped 5.56 .. I put somewhere between 10 and 15 shots in him and each time he'd go 'uh' 'aw' 'uh' .. and then fire an arrow in my face.. third or fourth arrow took me down. I mean I could have full auto ran into his face, that would have surely worked but common ... gameplay? yea right. Not.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I am liking it so far. It's heavy on the hardware but dunia always is. SLI support is there but does nothing so I am playing on one card. The game doesn't really look outstanding until resolution scale is turned up to 1.4 with ultra settings and TAA @ 3440x1440 then oh boy. I had to turn resolution scale down again though. Because I couldn't get over 60fps. :)

I am also liking the guns and accessories. I am glad they got rid of the belltower/radio tower climbing rubbish and having to craft gear upgrades by hunting. My char has a mullet, US flag singlet and a trucker cap. Also has a dude called merle in it who has a mullet as well. Plus you can kill cultists with shovels. What more can I say?

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
Those of you with Ryzen 1700+ or Core i7-8700K (and preferably a 1080 Ti): Can you keep the framerate above 80 at Ultra settings 1080p?

I'm playing at 1080p at 75hz with v-sync, because it's simply smoother that at 60hz. But every now and then my fps drops down to 70-ish, and sometimes even as low as mid 60s. Happens quite frequently. I'm just wondering if my CPU is showing its age.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Graphics is meh but who cares if the story delivers right?
The story. Weird as *. Weirdo getting in choppa, choppa goes down, you escape and from 0-60 in 0 seconds you've found your new best mate in the world and is running missions for him. dis jointed dis located ... weird.. It looks like a letdown to me. I might give it one more chance but it is heading straight for the 'never gonna finish' pile of rubbish games as it looks now.

That's why I can't buy this game. I had to force myself to finish the 4th game and by watching videos, this one will be even worse. I get no joy from fragging moron NPC's all day in an empty shell of a game with nothing interesting going on. I swear I might as well empty a box of Cheerios on the table and count all the little O's or something. Games like this are on a level like that. Its nothing but an interactive GPU benchmarking program. I used to LOVE these types of games for exactly that reason, but I'm no longer that guy. I can't enjoy games like this for more than an hour anymore. Just is what it is.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Game's fun and great looking. Runs super smooth and AI is in all around better state than previous iterations.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I had to force myself to finish the 4th game and by watching videos, this one will be even worse. I get no joy from fragging moron NPC's all day in an empty shell of a game with nothing interesting going on.

Time for a new activity to pass the time then? I hear shuffleboard is quite popular among the older crowd...

Honestly who cares if you finish the game or not? Gaming is supposed to be about having fun, not 100%-ing every single title on your shelf or acting as a substitute for actual literature. It's definitely not perfect but I have fun playing it, therefore I like it. I can't imagine determining if I'm gonna enjoy something by dismissing it completely.

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
I bought it and returned after playing for 2 hours despite loving 3 and playing 4 twice through. I think it's a mix of setting and thestart game premise -
who sends only 2 Marshalls for a high profile arrest
that turned me off.
I have been playing Assassin's creed Origins which I thought I would hate - but loving it, 20 hours in!

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Time for a new activity to pass the time then? I hear shuffleboard is quite popular among the older crowd...

Honestly who cares if you finish the game or not? Gaming is supposed to be about having fun, not 100%-ing every single title on your shelf or acting as a substitute for actual literature. It's definitely not perfect but I have fun playing it, therefore I like it. I can't imagine determining if I'm gonna enjoy something by dismissing it completely.

I think you have a point. Gaming and movie watching are basically the main thing I do to pass time in the evening. I think I am expecting too much from gaming in general. I'm expecting it to stimulate me in ways that would be asking too much of it. I've been here before. All games sucked and I thought I was done. I just needed a break and to forget about it for a while.
Instead of gaming, I will read intelligently written books and broaden myself as an individual in the evenings. Orrrrrr just play Rocketleague. Yep, playing Rocketleague.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think you have a point. Gaming and movie watching are basically the main thing I do to pass time in the evening. I think I am expecting too much from gaming in general. I'm expecting it to stimulate me in ways that would be asking too much of it. I've been here before. All games sucked and I thought I was done. I just needed a break and to forget about it for a while.
Instead of gaming, I will read intelligently written books and broaden myself as an individual in the evenings. Orrrrrr just play Rocketleague. Yep, playing Rocketleague.
Or you could get into simulations. For a long time all I did was use flight sims in VR. I've flown before and in VR it's almost just as realistic. Study sims are a good way to pass the time.

I beat the first boss. I'm still fine with the game and enjoying it so far. But I wonder how much longer until I get bored of it.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
I bought it and returned after playing for 2 hours despite loving 3 and playing 4 twice through. I think it's a mix of setting and thestart game premise -
who sends only 2 Marshalls for a high profile arrest
that turned me off.
I have been playing Assassin's creed Origins which I thought I would hate - but loving it, 20 hours in!

Even before I started playing the game I knew they were going to have a heck of a time trying to explain how this could take place in the US. Once you get past the fact that it's a stupid premise the game can be fun.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm sure I'd enjoy a few hours of FC5, but after that I know *with certainty* that I'd be pulling my eyeballs out from boredom. Running around liberating more outposts? Jesus Christ that's all I've done in the last 3 Far Cry games I've played. Liberate outposts from the most brain dead NPC's ever.
Here's the problem with me and video games like this; I'm the kind of guy who watches a movie once and that's IT! There are so few exceptions that I can't recall off the top of my head any movie I've watched twice in the last 10 years. Not one. That's because once I've seen it, then I've damn well seen it. I have already enjoyed it once, understood it once, seen the interesting twists and turns and surprises once, and once I've seen those things, they can't ever be the same again, EVER. Certain games are the same way.
The far Cry formula is so well preserved here that I just can't bear the thought of being dogged with another cheesy, barely modified instance of it. Not even a little.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I get sick of pretty much any campaign shooter in about 20 minutes. They are all the same thing.

That's why I only have been playing shooters online for the most part of the last 20 years - besides half-life 1 & 2, halo, far cry 1, crysis and that's about it. Everything else I get for the multiplayer. Only reason I bought Far Cry 5 was to play with my girl. For some reason Co-Op mode makes a boring campaign interesting to me. But playing solo it would be a no go.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
FC1 was amazing. FC 2,3,4 all sucked hard. Any reason to give 5 a shot or is it just like 2,3,4?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well this is also another reason I got it on console. If I finish it quickly enough I can trade it back in to best buy since I have gamers club unlocked they give you an extra 10% trade in credit. I remember I did that with far cry 4 and got like $35.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Since we are all having a rant.

I am one of those people that can replay games I enjoy. I don't want complex story lines either. I just want good gameplay and I hate online gaming. It's never done anything for me. I tried elder scrolls online. I even signed up for the beta once the single player content is finished. It just becomes another dungeon crawler.

I play games to relax. I just want good gameplay, graphics (why spend thousands on a rig otherwise?) and a challenge but not to the point that my char keeps on getting killed. Because that just gets annoying.

Reactions: ericlp

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Yeah, I think mostly online gaming is played these days for money. And anyone knows that, when you buy the 7,200 helicopter because your daddy is rich as hell... well, your gonna do some massive damage for that cash being spent. So it takes all the fun out of it.

On the other hand, a FREE game like UT (GOTY) that you can even get the software for free since it's so old. Trying to get that old game to play on a new rig can be more of a challenge...Best part is, since it's a dead game and there were no purchases, it's leveled out the playing field. Pretty much, the only way your gonna get hosed down is by a player that has better reaction time to you...

Usually on good servers "cheaters" get booted pretty fast, the only thing really limiting you would be location. As if you have a slow ping rate you will have an unfair advantage, best to play on a local server or set one up and play on it...

I also, won't play FC5, online, but will am still enjoying playing the game (SOLO) and am still taking my time, so far, I haven't really gotten trapped, or my system has not crashed with the game. That's a huge plus...because, the game is really huge and you have a lot of freedom, I'm not saying there are not any bugs, but so far, it's played super smooth on my rig. I should say that if you have a fast m.2 SSD 960 samsung pro, it plays much smoother.

I still really like playing FC5 with iCUE if you have a good RGB led corsair and you have FC5, install the latest drivers the game play is super cool led effects with that keyboard. If you haven't experienced do it!

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Puzzled by the micro-transactions. Everything or almost everything available for game $, and I finished the game with about 50k left, buying armor piercing bullets, special rockets and grenades liberally, even inadvertently using them quite often. What and why would people be buying with real money?

That and the story is awful. You'll realize this soon enough, if you aren't done yet.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
SLI is dead. It's too bad nobody uses it as it's the only way to get great 4K performance with this game.

Oh well.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Are you looking for new side quests, Guns for Hire, or elusive collectibles? We have great news: you can access the complete Far Cry 5 game map using the Worldmap website by clicking here: farcrygame.com/worldmap