Far Cry 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Had a bunch of certificates and gamers club from Best buy so I picked it up for $40 for the PS4 pro. It's decent, only did 4-5 misisons so far but you get out numbered quickly and the cult chases you everywhere. I need to figure out how to gain more health.

Already freed the first wildcat companion and she's pretty cool to have around while you are raiding bases.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
You gain health with perks I believe, which are unlocked as you increase your resistance points.

Game is pretty great though and runs basically perfect with Vega on ultra settings, Freesync enabled. I really like the setting and atmosphere except that green gas thing is a bit goofy. Vehicle controls are simple and mapping the keys was pretty easy overall on PC. AI is really good compared to what's out there and most everything I liked about FC3 and, to a lesser extent FC4, is present in this one. I enjoyed the opening sequence too.

It's really fun to play either loud or stealth though. I saved a resistance member up north of the auto repair shop and she was immediately mauled by a wolverine. 8/10 will run away like a bitch again.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I should have saved up perk points so I can unlock the leadership perk. It allows you to have 2 companions with you which makes raiding bases and roaming around much easier. Damn, now I'll have to struggle for a bit while building the points up.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Watched the opening sequence this morning before my kids woke up. Boy did I not want to participate in what took place! So far, everything runs great on my 2500k and 970GTX. Started the first sequence being fully in control and so far, real happy with my choice to buy.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
...Damn, now I'll have to struggle for a bit while building the points up.

That's part of the fun!

Personally, I don't like companions and prefer to work as a lone wolf but I'll probably mix things up a bit because it was a bit too easy. I took the Seed Ranch in about 5 minutes by sniping from the radio tower after grappling up top (they won't call for reinforcements until you're fully detected). Once there was one guy left I zipped down and took him down from behind. The gun play is very tight though, so it's equally as satisfying to run and gun too.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That's part of the fun!

Personally, I don't like companions and prefer to work as a lone wolf but I'll probably mix things up a bit because it was a bit too easy. I took the Seed Ranch in about 5 minutes by sniping from the radio tower after grappling up top. Once there was one guy left I zipped down and took him down from behind. The gun play is very tight though, so it's equally as satisfying to run and gun too.
Did you buy a sniper rifle or found one? I took the plane out the hanger though and circled around, strafed them all as if I was in my A10C lol.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I think I had found the first one at the auto repair shop, maybe? Then I just bought the extended mag. I think the better rifles are unlocked as you build up resistance points also. Any semi auto rifle was fine by me though; I'm on the fence about buying a silencer until I unlock more weapon slots.

I certainly plan on using a plane to take out all of those miserable red silos.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Definitely shouldn't be reading this thread while at work. All of a sudden, i feel a cold coming on... may have to leave early...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Once it goes on sale I'm gonna pick it up for PC too so I can see the difference in graphics. I know my system can max it but I'm much more comfortable playing from a reclined couch and not having to lug my 50lb tower to the living room. It does look pretty damn good on 4k on the PS4 pro.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Are the requirements pretty low? I'm hearing a lot of people claiming to max it at 2k with i5s and 900 gen cards.

I thought Far Cry 4 would be the game I'd have to tone down the settings, but I was surprised when I maxed everything and it ran smooth. I also enjoyed Far Cry 3 and 4, so I'll probably pick this one up when it goes on sale. But I'd like to know how well it's going to run on my system first, that way I can know if I need to wait until I upgrade towards the end of the year and grab the game on a seasonal sale or if it will be fine and I can grab it earlier.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Are the requirements pretty low? I'm hearing a lot of people claiming to max it at 2k with i5s and 900 gen cards.

I thought Far Cry 4 would be the game I'd have to tone down the settings, but I was surprised when I maxed everything and it ran smooth. I also enjoyed Far Cry 3 and 4, so I'll probably pick this one up when it goes on sale. But I'd like to know how well it's going to run on my system first, that way I can know if I need to wait until I upgrade towards the end of the year and grab the game on a seasonal sale or if it will be fine and I can grab it earlier.

Could not see your signature on Tapatalk. I think you should be fine, just turn down annoying settings like blur. You should be able to get decent performance with a mix of high/ultra settings. Shadows will probably need to be turned down. Only thing I would be concerned about a bit is the 8gb of ram, 16gb would do you better.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Could not see your signature on Tapatalk. I think you should be fine, just turn down annoying settings like blur. You should be able to get decent performance with a mix of high/ultra settings. Shadows will probably need to be turned down. Only thing I would be concerned about a bit is the 8gb of ram, 16gb would do you better.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 8GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010

Requirements are very modest; there are some users reporting that R9 200 and 300 cards can also run the game quite well. It seems like Dunia engine is pretty well optimized to support a relatively wide range of PC hardware which is great, to say the least. It's closely related to the Crytek engine which I believe is a much heavier and less robust platform.

I've put in about 10 hours so far and I know that I've barely scratched the surface. Last night I just kind of went around and searched for prepper stashes as I heard about them. I will say that the amount of randomized activity seems a bit excessive at times--like I feel that enemies are almost always present when roaming around, which is fine I suppose, but not terribly realistic. Almost every time I got behind the wheel I'd be approached by one or more Eden trucks within seconds. They're fun to shoot though and those mounted guns chew them up good.

I dig the game though; there's plenty of stuff to do besides the main objectives. Sometimes in these games I'll play one or two sessions and basically make zero progress because I get so easily sidetracked and consumed by curiosity. I'm not much of an achievement hunter but I do like the completionist route, within reason.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Playing this on PS4 Pro with a mouse and keyboard. It's pretty fun. Played like 4 hours in co-op with my girl and it's a bit slow going so far. But she likes to find all the loot and do every side mission, which is different than my style of play which is just to find battles as fast as possible. Graphics are quite nice for a console IMO.

I'm also tempted like SZE to get it on PC just to compare the graphics and also the mechanics, but that's a $60 experiment I can't justify for now.

Definitely looking forward to what this game can bring though. It's off to a solid enough start.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
^Seems like a garbage trolling website to me... and those Steam screens could be from ANY game on there...

Everyone that I've talked to personally in regards to the game on PC has stated that it works fine. Both AMD and NVIDIA have released day one graphics drivers for it and the system requirements are so middle of the road that even users with somewhat dated hardware can enjoy the game.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I haven't had a single issue on my system. Not a crash, lockup, hitch or glitch. Actually thinking about it that's pretty odd for a new game. Definitely just lucky I would assume. It's been a lot of fun so far. I only wish the story was either a little darker or more campy.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The game runs surprisingly well at 4k on my 1070. I am averaging 45fps at high settings. which I am used to at this point. It is a very good looking game, and I bought it for the coop.

I just wish it was harder. I will have to go to the map editor to get more enemies.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Runs really great for me too, but I haven't been tracking FPS. And that is with an i5-8600k and GTX 1080 Ti at 1440p, but I have everything maxed except motion blur is off. The game really isn't all that demanding, but looks pretty great.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I think there's a bench tool somewhere in the video settings menu, or perhaps I saw it once I applied the settings.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

Playing on ultra setting an i7-2700K and GTX780 (both stock)
In game benchmark
@1080p
min - 41
min - 46
max - 53

@ 1920x1200 (My monitors native resolution)
min - 38
avg - 43
max -49

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
OK, if I had to force myself to finish FC4, should I bother with this one?
See, this is where I was at too. I quit FC3 twice and ultimately went back and forced myself to finish the game. FC4 I played for maybe 30 hours and probably 75% main campaign completion and I almost uninstalled it because it became too stale and repetitive - but just like FC3, I pushed myself to finish it. I know FC5 is probably more of the same, but improved on many aspects like they have done with previous games, but I'd like to know if they are worth the investment.

I guess I get too caught up with completing all the objectives in an area before moving on to the next and usually avoiding the main campaign until all the side stuff is done. By the time I get around to doing the campaign missions, I just want to keep playing at my own pace but the missions are usually pretty slow where they hold your hand a lot of the ways and it breaks the pace for me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm having more fun with this one compared to the last few games in the series. I'm almost done taking out the first boss but I have a few side misisons to do. I end up going after all the prep stashes I can find as it's an easy way to get money and perk points. I also have the issue of getting side tracked by side activities..same reason I have not finished Witcher 3.