Far Cry 4 - November 18th 2014

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IVIX1

Oct 30, 2013
Far Cry 4 is my first (and only because I'm not a ubishit fan so much) forray into the Far Cry universe. I am giving it an honest try, and it is somewhat enjoyable. I have run into some ghosting which I was able to fix through various suggestions throughout the web.

I'm now experiencing BLACK SCREENing, which leads to being required to reset my PC manually. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this problem and an sli setup. Any help is very much appreciated, I would like to play this game(no matter how obvious it is that Ubisoft doesnt do ports of quality at all optimization wise..eh).

The black screen has happened a few times.

my system as of right now-
2 msi gaming 980
as oc formula z77
pro vengeance 2400 Corsair
hx 850 Corsair

Any and all help is appreciated.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Haven't ran into the black screening at all so far, although I immediately noticed (and fix) the gorram mouse acceleration "feature".

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Far Cry 4 is my first (and only because I'm not a ubishit fan so much) forray into the Far Cry universe. I am giving it an honest try, and it is somewhat enjoyable. I have run into some ghosting which I was able to fix through various suggestions throughout the web.

I'm now experiencing BLACK SCREENing, which leads to being required to reset my PC manually. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this problem and an sli setup. Any help is very much appreciated, I would like to play this game(no matter how obvious it is that Ubisoft doesnt do ports of quality at all optimization wise..eh).

The black screen has happened a few times.

my system as of right now-
2 msi gaming 980
as oc formula z77
pro vengeance 2400 Corsair
hx 850 Corsair

Any and all help is appreciated.

I was having random freezes requiring hard resets...Not a lot, probably 5 in 25hrs of game play so far. I set soft shadows to Ultra and turned off AA and the game is not only running faster, obviously, but it seems to have helped with random stuttering which would then freeze....I was running 2x smaa as msaa caused ghosting and txaa made weird colored blocks underwater..

I don't miss AA at all...game still looks amazing, running 1440p. I didn't notice huge performance gains turing AA off, but I sure did going from soft shadows to ultra

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
Loved Far Cry 3 and looking to try this one. I might mod it to get rid of the eagle attacks though... I liked Far Cry 3 because the animals were in relatively predictable locations and you could scout around peacefully and mostly avoid them...

it sounds like in Far Cry 4 they just have them pop out of nowhere randomly to attack you for the sake of attacking you, which would annoy me as it's just not realistic... if I scouted an area to find no animals around to have one pop up suddenly and attack breaks the immersion for me.. so I'll have to give second thoughts to how they do the spawning in this game.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Loved Far Cry 3 and looking to try this one. I might mod it to get rid of the eagle attacks though... I liked Far Cry 3 because the animals were in relatively predictable locations and you could scout around peacefully and mostly avoid them...

it sounds like in Far Cry 4 they just have them pop out of nowhere randomly to attack you for the sake of attacking you, which would annoy me as it's just not realistic... if I scouted an area to find no animals around to have one pop up suddenly and attack breaks the immersion for me.. so I'll have to give second thoughts to how they do the spawning in this game.

You get over the eagles pretty quickly. Once you have so much health that they don't wreck you, they don't really matter.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
You can always hear them coming too (caw!) and have very little health themselves. Minor irritant early on but you adjust.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Are large snowy levels the favorite of anyone else? Can't wait for the Yeti DLC tomorrow (Tuesday). That snow covered vista looks nice. The two or three snow levels that came with the game are cool but a little too small.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Are large snowy levels the favorite of anyone else? Can't wait for the Yeti DLC tomorrow (Tuesday). That snow covered vista looks nice. The two or three snow levels that came with the game are cool but a little too small.

No IMO they are the worst designed. The snow seems like it's there to act as fog so you can't see into the distance and enjoy the landscape. They really come off as a gimmick to make it more difficult because your vision is impaired and you have to run around trying to find oxygen canisters.

I'm probably biased though because I got super bored of the game and speed rushed through the last 4 or so main campaign missions just to get to the end. I was sick of the whole thing. The crappy story telling and annoying animals that serve as little more than a hindrance on your progress just annoyed me. The game is passable, but it seemed to get old for me so I didn't even do 1/4 of the side quests.

Last edited:

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
^Yes you're right about one of those snow levels. All that snow/fog blowing in the wind obscures the far view and it's kind of annoying and I don't replay it.

The other snow level is what I meant, and it has a mission too. The one with several one and two story stone buildings, it's like a small town. You can see quite far to the snow covered mountains on the horizon and above. The canyon below is covered with a calm thick mist so you can't see to the bottom. If you also meant this canyon mist I can understand that. The canyon mist is too much. Wish it was just partial to allow a view of some of the valley. But the horizon view and up is very clear with little or no wind and just a few snowflakes drifting about.

It looks much like the screens from the Yeti DLC so if you like those screens maybe it'll be worth it to download it to see if they did a decent snow region.

Last edited:

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
so the game auto patched tonight and now my screen has constant flickering...kinda like when your watching tv and there is a old school CRT screen in the shot.....wtf it was fine before it patched. Anyone else notice anything like this?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I couldn't get very far into the game at all. I found myself hunting animals for skins so I could hold more ammo and I was just like, "not this all over again" and I shut it off. I just don't want to do that again. Its too similar to FC3. I have a low tolerance for displeasure with regard to gaming nowadays. I don't have the time I used to.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
black bars?
He probably has a 16:10 monitor.
Even though the game supports 16:10 resolutions and allows you to choose them, they are letter-boxed with black bars on top and bottom as opposed to 16:9 resolutions which are full-screen.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I couldn't get very far into the game at all. I found myself hunting animals for skins so I could hold more ammo and I was just like, "not this all over again" and I shut it off. I just don't want to do that again. Its too similar to FC3. I have a low tolerance for displeasure with regard to gaming nowadays. I don't have the time I used to.

Um....

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Yeah, it got annoying. Just my opinion. I'm almost done with gaming anyway. I'm hanging on by a very fine thread. I'm very selective. If BF5 ends up sucking, I'm probably done for the most part. Running around shooting bad guys in FC4 just seemed like an unforgivable waste of my time.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
For some reason I ran outta steam on this one. Did all the hunting and got all the items, and a little bit after I got into the second area I just stopped playing. Its odd because in a lot of ways this is better than FC3, but I think maybe it felt like too much grinding. I think I'll eventually go back to it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A little too much grinding. But I still like it better than Far Cry 2 or 3.

Although I think this one was probably made for the rising market of Indian gamers.
The only American is a god damn moron.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
so the game auto patched tonight and now my screen has constant flickering...kinda like when your watching tv and there is a old school CRT screen in the shot.....wtf it was fine before it patched. Anyone else notice anything like this?

Yeah, I haven't played in awhile, but after getting back into it the other night (and watching a patch download), I have ridiculous flickering.

I noticed you have an Nvidia SLI rig, as do I. I imagine therein lies the issue. I've been too lazy to disable SLI and try it again.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Yeah, I haven't played in awhile, but after getting back into it the other night (and watching a patch download), I have ridiculous flickering.

I noticed you have an Nvidia SLI rig, as do I. I imagine therein lies the issue. I've been too lazy to disable SLI and try it again.

Ya I turned SLI off and it fixed the problem...it updated again the other night and now flickering is gone, at least while playing Valley of the Yetis, which, is pretty fun btw. I've been impressed with the 2 DLC's so far.