Far Cry 3: Anyone else excited?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
i wonder if those animals would even always just attack you like that in real life. Usually a gun shot or something would scare many animals away at least cause some a change in action.

i hate consistant trigger points. i'd rather see some randomness in reactive behaviors. especially in enemies, not everyone just Rambo's out when someone in the bushes fires a shot.

It's extremely random. I've seen all sorts of random stuff. Last night I was sneaking into a camp and the guards all the sudden are alerted and I have no idea why. Then I realize they are all screaming about a tiger. Next thing I know they are getting mauled/shooting this tiger. I just sit there and mop up whats left after they fight it out. I've also had a tiger coming at me and shot it and had it run away. It's all very randomized.

Another instance of randomness was when I was driving up a circling road with a cliff on my right side blocking visibility all the sudden a car driven by a friendly AI comes around the corner and we crash head on at full speed. Both cars start on fire and everyone bails and runs just as both cars explode.

You'll find very often that you'll hear commotion in the distance, and there is always something actually happening when you find the source of the noise.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Played it a couple more hours today, and wow, I gotta join the bandwagon - this is definitely game of the year material

The amount of detail put into every aspect of the game is mind blowing... The gameplay is just flawless, and it has one of the best/most fun stealth mechanics Ive seen
You can literally take out whole bases/posts using only your knife, and Im playing on the hardest difficulty, but it doesnt matter because they die in one stab regardless (as it should be)

Then you have the upgrade system which is incredibly addictive, since you can upgrade pretty much everything (and stuff like bag/wallet is a must), plus the tattoos/skill, and each weapon also has their own individual costumizations like laser sight, silencer etc, the usual stuff

Other than that, theres just so much to do, I assume someone who wants 100% completion will have to spend no less than 25-30 hours, maybe more (I have no idea, the island is damn huge, on first sight it might be bigger than Skyrim)

So yeah, definitely worth getting, though I am only 6 missions in (out of 38), I can already tell this is one of the best single player experiences out there

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
One of my friends played it who isnt in NA so has access and mentioned not being able to go prone, i told him this is a stealth game always has been and even though i have little hope for the game after FC2 im sure they didnt miss something so obvious since it was in FC1 and he must just be an idiot and to figure it out and get back to me about how the gameplay is.

For now he is to pissed about not being able to figure out how to go prone to give me unbiased feed back lol :)

szvwxcszxc

Nov 29, 2012
I saw it and demo-ed. nah not too enthused. dunno

rather get AC3 and BF3 which I don't have yet, I want to play online :p

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
OK holy SHIT guys, this game is flat out bitching awesome. If you don't buy it you aren't a gamer who is interested in the best damn game in recent memory. There, I said it.

szvwxcszxc

Nov 29, 2012
Can someone else actually answer this?

sry /troll ;)

most internet things say there is only the brief nudity in the trailer, but the game is rated M for Mature for the following:
Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs

Based on the rating, IMHO there is significantly more nudity/sexual content in the game or else they would not list it prominently as the reasons for being rated M.

My recommendation is that you should stay away if offended by personal or religious reasons due to the sexual content.

Rating reference: http://www.ign.com/games/far-cry-3/ps3-53488

Last edited:

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
So I finally got DX11 to play nice with SLI and Surround and it seems like I can manage good fps with Enhanced Alpha to Coverage and HDAO but for some reason it seems to have a different save for my DX11 playthrough than my DX9 one and it won't let me load the DX9 one. Now I've made far too much progress in my current save to bother replaying it just for a few DX11 bells and whistles since the game looks stunning even with DX11 while maxed (post fx medium, eats fps for effects I can't stand anyways).

If anyone else cares to verify this issue I would appreciate it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So I finally got DX11 to play nice with SLI and Surround and it seems like I can manage good fps with Enhanced Alpha to Coverage and HDAO but for some reason it seems to have a different save for my DX11 playthrough than my DX9 one and it won't let me load the DX9 one. Now I've made far too much progress in my current save to bother replaying it just for a few DX11 bells and whistles since the game looks stunning even with DX11 while maxed (post fx medium, eats fps for effects I can't stand anyways).

If anyone else cares to verify this issue I would appreciate it.

Whats the difference between ssao, hbao etc? Which one is best? I use HBAO. Also, I tried different POST FX settings and just leave on ultra. Seems to make game look smoother or something.
Also, I am uploading a Far Cry 3 roast pig vid to youtube. Link to follow shortly :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4GCCUAk8mM&list=UUfzGrn0nybXQRUEAC3pgZ7w&index=1&feature=plcp

Last edited:

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
I need this game. I think I'm one of the very few that actually enjoyed the hell out of Far Cry 2. The malaria did get pretty annoying though. Glad to see they didn't include anything like that in this one.

The multiplayer actually looks pretty fun too if CoD gamestyle is something you're in to.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Another late night playing. There's just so much keeping my attention off the main quest. Must hunt golden tigers!

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I've put a couple of hours into it. It's a quality game. Great visuals, excellent gameplay, villain that is instantly dislikeable and you want to maim, highly customisable player character (for a FPS), and the intro gets you into the game right away. Almost feels a bit like Skyrim with guns (although it may lack factions....not sure).

Actually that brings up a point. I don't really understand why reviewers consider this game an FPS when to me it is more a hybrid RPG/FPS game. Open world hybrid FPS/RPG is my favorite genre so the more of these games the better.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have no time for this game right now. Too much else on the table lol. So I will quietly put it on the back burner until I have time to dive in.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
Are you playing with AA on? Even a 680 has a rough time with AA. Also, pay attention to the level of post effects! That setting does hit performance pretty bad as well believe it or not. I played with it on low just to see and the FPS goes up quite a bit really.

Yeah I am using heavy AA. I hope people are right that the SLI profile is broken, but, dang, this may be the first time I've had to turn down anything on this build <<starts dreaming of new build>>.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah I am using heavy AA. I hope people are right that the SLI profile is broken, but, dang, this may be the first time I've had to turn down anything on this build <<starts dreaming of new build>>.

Even with the new 310.64 beta? Supposed to give like 20% boost to the 670/680 and has a new sli profile.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

Single card even lower end ( GTX670M 3 gig) is completely maxing this out at Ultra and is glassy smooth.

it has to be a SLI/Crossfire issue.

and yes the game is flat incredible.

another 10+ hours in and just hit the second island..