Famous bread recipe *Free*

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
hrm well i tried the 2lb loaf recipe and, since i don't have a bread machine, let it proof in a warmed oven for about 2 hours(like wyndru mentioned). The bread did not rise like i thought it would have but i baked it anyways. the flavor was good, but it was the saltiest bread i've ever eaten. I followed the recipe to a T and used 1.75 teaspoons of salt. In my mind i could cut that to 1 teaspoon of salt for my taste, but then i'm not sure how that affects how much it will rise.

nobody else has commented on the saltyness?

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I like bread fresh out of the oven, what's that about 'waiting' or 'let it cool'?

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I finally got around to making this recipe in my bread machine. When I ate it straight after cooling and cutting I wasn't that impressed. It was good, but similar to other breads I had made. But when I used it for toast it was awesome. If it is allowed to char a bit, it really compliments the flavor. Thanks OP. This should be served in the finest hipster toast bar.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I finally got around to making this recipe in my bread machine. When I ate it straight after cooling and cutting I wasn't that impressed. It was good, but similar to other breads I had made. But when I used it for toast it was awesome. If it is allowed to char a bit, it really compliments the flavor. Thanks OP. This should be served in the finest hipster toast bar.

Same experience here, makes amazing toast. btw, if anyone is in the market for a new toaster, check out the Panasonic "Flash Xpress" Toaster Oven instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G...dp/B008C9UFDI/

Just look at that beautiful edge-to-edge browning:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...ery/B008C9UFDI

I've never found a toaster that is what I'd call "great" (no matter what the model or how much money you spend on it), so if you're looking for perfect toast, I think a toaster oven is a much better solution (the Panasonic in particular).

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I'm glad this got bumped. I think I'll dust off the breadmaker and give this a shot over the weekend while I am brewing (liquid bread and solid bread all at once!).

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
i wonder how many loaves have been made from this recipe over the years :p

Seriously. Funnily enough, I actually posted a reminder thread in OT with a summary exactly a year ago today :biggrin:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2375422

I've since discovered I'm allergic to gluten (sadly), but my family stuff loves it & always requests it whenever they come over :thumbsup:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm glad this got bumped. I think I'll dust off the breadmaker and give this a shot over the weekend while I am brewing (liquid bread and solid bread all at once!).

If you do end up making it a habit, I wrote out my toolkit & make-ahead procedure here:

http://catch42.pbworks.com/w/page/91703094/Ridefree

Basically I just throw the dry stuff (measured out) into ziploc bags & keep a big bottle of olive oil & a couple of tools (spoon & cup), so all I have to do is microwave the water to warm it up, dump the bag in, etc. Only takes a minute or two before bed to get a loaf going :thumbsup:

crowmaine

Mar 4, 2007
Just looking up this recipe for a friend and felt it might need a 'bump'.

Have been using it as a base for all of our breads for the last 10+ years.

We add a little oatmeal, water-soaked wheat berries, nuts, seed, and/or fruits to it for variation; always in different amounts and combinations. Hemp seeds have been a recent hit - I wonder why?

One time, I didn't have brown sugar once, so honey and molasses was substituted. The bread's water was reduced a little for the compensation.

It's a winner! Give it a try!

Reactions: Kaido and Crono

eranical

Jul 18, 2014
Bread baking as I type. Love my Oster BM but wanted to try a different for a while.. Hope it turns out as good as it is made out to be..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crono

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
last time I bumped this was almost 6 years ago. I wonder if the OP is still making bread :bread: