Famous bread recipe *Free*

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RideFree

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Muse
...I downloaded the manual/recipe PDF a few days ago just to get my hands on their recipes since they do list weight measures (I use weight measurments).

Panasonic SD-YD250 manual download
I wondered if this was on-line anywhere.
Welcome addition to the thread. :D:D:D

Can no longer find the manual on-line.
Hence the following is posted here.
Originally posted by: RideFree

Daughter's Panasonic breadmaker recipe booklet lists the weight of {all, AP & WW}flour as
4.92 oz. per cup.
Do like Muse says, "...Use weight measurements".

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Finally found a cheap bread maker at a local goodwill - paid 5$ Made 2 loaves of the bread so far :)

THanks for the easy recipe.

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
I got bread.

Pulled out the old breadmaker and tried this recipe tonight. Had no whole wheat flour nor dark brown sugar. Substituted bread flour and light brown sugar.

Ate a heel slice with butter while still warm. This recipe still works great without whole wheat flour.

After cooling I used two nice thick slices to grill a three cheese sandwich using the two cast iron skillet method. Excellent.

Think I may pick up the missing ingredients and make a loaf strictly following the recipe then tweak to personal tastes from there.

Thanks OP.

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
I got a bread maker just for this, and it did not let me down. This is the hottest deal I have ever eaten.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Subbing molasses for brown sugar gives more nutrition to the bread. I've subbed safflower oil for olive with no ill effect. Also, I use 2 cups wheat - 2 cups white - and a large tablespoon of vital gluten to make the extra wheat rise well.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Just got a Panasonic SD-YD250 for Christmas, can't wait to try your recipe in this new machine.

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
I wonder if this is worth buying a bread maker.

Yes.
If you're in doubt, do as many have done and go to your local goodwill/value-village-type store and pick up a used machine. I picked up a new-looking older model Oster for less than $15. Try to find one that says "2lb loaf". For brands: Zojirushi (top of the line -- doubt you'd find one), Panasonic, Oster, "Breadman" all seem to be decent. I'd go for one that has a flat-paddle inside, which indicates the paddle alternates turning in both directions while kneading.

I suspect people get them as gifts -- go to the supermarket and see the super-expensive single packet yeasts, say "screw that" and grab a box of "bread machine mix" which turns out horrible... it sits on their counter for a month unused and then they give it to goodwill.

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
edit:
You can also use the machine for making pizza dough. Buy a pizza stone for $10ish and you are set, if you like pizza.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I hate to necro (seriously, necromancy = bad :D ), but this thread is awesome. Nothing beats fresh bread when you are hungry.

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
Necro'd, because it took me a while to re-find this awesome thread! (bread baking as I type)

riffdex

Nov 16, 2011
Anyone know a good recipe for homemade pizza crust?

BUMP, felt this needed to go up. Anyone know of any good deals on a bread machine?
I bought my bread machine at our Habitat for Humanity (thrift store) for $5. It had only been used once or twice then donated. Can't get a much better deal than that.

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
Time to bump this again, seeing as I just dug my bread machine back out.

Thanks again!

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Time to bump this again, seeing as I just dug my bread machine back out.

Thanks again!

Haha, thanks for bumping! I've never seen it and was just this week considering baking bread for my first time.

I'm hoping it's possible in the oven though, otherwise I have to go buy another kitchen appliance that I really don't have room for.

[edit] So tonight I made dinner rolls in the oven using this recipe, they were actually good! I'm surprised how simple this is.

They were a little doughy in the center though, so I may not have let them rise enough. Oh well, they were still good.

Last edited:

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Recipe looks awesome, but do not have a bread maker at the moment. In the past we have made dutch oven bread by preheating a very heavy cast iron dutch oven and baking for an hour. wonder if i could let this sucker rise for 12hrs like i do the other recipe and give it a go in the dutch. I'll certainly print and keep this around if i ever get a maker.
Thanks!

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
The past 2 weeks I've made about 6 loaves of this bread, my wife and daughter love it. I don't have a bread machine, so I just proof it in the regular oven at 100 degrees for about 2 hours before baking it at 350.

I never realized making bread would be so easy. I just wish it would stay fresh longer, but it's cheap so it doesn't bother me as much when I need to throw it out.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
The past 2 weeks I've made about 6 loaves of this bread, my wife and daughter love it. I don't have a bread machine, so I just proof it in the regular oven at 100 degrees for about 2 hours before baking it at 350.

I never realized making bread would be so easy. I just wish it would stay fresh longer, but it's cheap so it doesn't bother me as much when I need to throw it out.

thanks for the tip, i might try it this way since i don't have a machine.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Nice to know Wyndru. I might have to try that...if this bread is as good as it's made out to be it definitely beats $3 a loaf for the decent grocery story bread.