Family refuses to pay tip, gets locked inside restaurant

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
That's because you don't go out to dinner with large parties :whiste:

Try and find a restaurant that doesn't have that policy. It might require more people than 5 (7 or 8) but it will be hard to find a decent place that doesn't do this.

I do it all the fucking time.

All of my favorite group dining places do not charge a minimum service fee.

Surely you are smart enough to be able to tell the difference between the two places?

You would not expect 5 star service from mcdonalds or burger king would you?

No 17% service charge @ McD or BK.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Mmm that yelp rating took a nose dive...

en_US

/time for them to pay yelp to remove the erroneous ratings.

What's funny is that when you google LA Fisherman the first thing that comes up is yelp and the second is this news story, then the restaurant website, followed by a google map link to directions to the restaurant, followed by multiple links to news stories about this event. :D

Last edited:

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Not responsible for theft or damage. Ever see this sign at a pay parking lot? Does this give the owner the right to break in and steal things because there is a sign? Nope.

Tips are NOT mandatory, and never have been. Tips are in exchange for good service. Once the owner of the restaurant renegs on good service, the tip is then forfeited. No different than if there was exceptional service, the customer should raise the tip percentage. The opinion of whether service was good or bad is the decision of the customer, not the owner. Mandatory tips create poor service. The norm in restaurants is that even when a tip is automatically put on the bill, the customer has the right to adjust it either up or down. A tip is not a menu item like food which is ordered at a specific price.

Is there any more work required from the waiter to bring a cheap hamburger and glass of water than an expensive steak and drink? Both require the same amount of trips to the table but the tip for the larger meal could be 4 or 5 times larger even though there is theoretically the same amount of work from the waiter. This is the proof that tips are customer discretion as they are not based on the actual work of the waiter.

+1

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I do it all the fucking time.

All of my favorite group dining places do not charge a minimum service fee.

We have concluded you don't tip

Your favorites don't charge minimum service fees.

mc-donalds.jpg

is the reality for you...

However, based on your 'list' above, I feel bad for your servers.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
shin sen gumi and park's bbq off the top of my head.

http://www.shinsengumigroup.com/yakitori-original-gardena
http://www.parksbbq.com/

I don't eat at shitty American fast casual places if that's what you're getting at.

I DO eat at fine dining establishments which do charge minimum service fees, but I get 5* service there so I'm not arguing.

both those places are above the 'price points' of what many are talking about. The first one is listed at a $20 - 30 entree and the second $31-60.

That's casual for me as well, but a different type of fare and customer base.

These issues are normally found in the larger occupancy places where a large table ducking out with a shortage on the table is easier.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
shin sen gumi and park's bbq off the top of my head.

http://www.shinsengumigroup.com/yakitori-original-gardena
http://www.parksbbq.com/

I don't eat at shitty American fast casual places if that's what you're getting at.

I DO eat at fine dining establishments which do charge minimum service fees, but I get 5* service there so I'm not arguing.

Not that I want to side with Alkemyst here but every fine dining restaurant I've ever been to in SoCal, and I've been to many, has a 15% gratuity added to large parties automatically.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Not that I want to side with Alkemyst here but every fine dining restaurant I've ever been to in SoCal, and I've been to many, has a 15% gratuity added to large parties automatically.

I don't go to fine dining restaurants for large parties?

//edit

Urasawa, 3 *'d michelin, 350pp before tax and tip, party of 10 yet no minimum tip requirement. srsly, finding places that do not charge minimum service fees is NOT as hard as ya'll are making it out to be.

DSC03413.jpg

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If the waitstaff did their job properly, stiffing would be at a minimum. Rule of thumb...if you want a tip, earn it. Christ, it's all you have to do.

If you read the thread, many don't believe in tipping to begin with. You can bet they are not when going out.

Down here many restaurants have this policy in signage outside due to many of our tourists that know better 'gaming the system'.

Pizza guys notoriously get 'just the change', usually less than a buck. Sad times for our people out there.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I don't go to fine dining restaurants for large parties?

The two price point restaurants you 'claim' you frequent, would be considered pretty close to fine dining for most at those entree charges.

You selected two more niche-type places that have a different clientele base.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
You know this story is lacking because the manager would be in jail right now for illegal detainment. As soon as somebody locked me in someplace against my will I would be on my phone to the police if I didn't feel immediately threatened enough to fight my way out.

The story is either completely made up or is missing 99% of the actually facts of this "story".

herrjimbo

Aug 21, 2001
If you read the thread, many don't believe in tipping to begin with. You can bet they are not when going out.

Down here many restaurants have this policy in signage outside due to many of our tourists that know better 'gaming the system'.

Pizza guys notoriously get 'just the change', usually less than a buck. Sad times for our people out there.

i have been reading the thread. i've been tipping 20% or better for the last 20 years. sometimes, and it's rare, i'll leave a nickel. other times, i'll get up and leave if i get no service whatsoever in the first five minutes. they didn't ask me personally to come into their restaurant. i came in because i was hungry. now they lost a customer for life.

now multiply that times, oh let's say, ten people. bad management.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
The two price point restaurants you 'claim' you frequent, would be considered pretty close to fine dining for most at those entree charges.

You selected two more niche-type places that have a different clientele base.

I eat at the types of restaurants he linked, and they don't usually have added gratuity. Usually its higher end American style restaurants, like steak houses, Italian, etc. It maybe that people who go to higher end Asian specialty restaurants don't stiff as much, where as traditional themed restaurants have a wider appeal and attract different types of people.

Feb 6, 2007
Mandatory gratuity is an oxymoron. Gratuity literally means something given without obligation; mandatory gratuity is a required unrequired payment.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i just dont tip anymore. if they dont like it, fuckem.

hell even the fricken order takes at smashburger have a stupid ass tip jar out. fuck that shit, tip to take my order at a burger joint??? hell no.

one of the pluses living in Germany. tips are verboten and made going out to my favorite Gasthouse so much nicer.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
They will fail horribly soon after this. Stuff like this kind of press only brings more bad press.

The management failed miserably in customer service (at least if there's not something else that is missing from the article).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
If the waitstaff did their job properly, stiffing would be at a minimum. Rule of thumb...if you want a tip, earn it. Christ, it's all you have to do.

This isn't necessarily true. The reason for the minimum tip is because of people under tipping waitstaff in large groups. This does happen, even with good service because people can be assholes.

The difference here is that it's expected regardless of good service or not, which is just not right. If they complained that the service was poor, the management should take that into consideration. He's a bad manager ;p