Fallout 4

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Rakewell, Jan 29, 2013.

1. thespyder

thespyder Golden Member

So long as it isn't 'Fallout online' I will definitely be very interested, and quite probably buy (never commit until at least some reviews/details are forthcoming).

I am also very excited about Wasteland 2 so....

2. Rakewell

Rakewell Platinum Member

3. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

Please let it be going back to a proper overhead RPG perspective.

4. Bman123

Bman123 Diamond Member

Overhead is not the way to go for FO4. I think FO3 and NV did good getting away from the old style of view

5. motsm

motsm Golden Member

I'd be all over it if they did that, or even if they did something like Dragon Age, too bad it's impossible in today's climate.

6. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Senior member

I think I would pass if it was overhead. Nowhere's as near as immersive. I got as far in fallout 1 as that first town you run into and that was about it.

7. Rakewell

Rakewell Platinum Member

Interesting how torn people are over what they want from this game.

8. rstove02

rstove02 Senior member

Well there is always fallout Online 2238 if you are willing to try a new twist on a nostalgic classic to pass the time for F4. Basically they took F2 and made it multiplayer online kind of like old school Ultima Online style. It is practically in perma beta, but I found it diverting.

9. motsm

motsm Golden Member

Bethesda has just been remaking the same game over and over again with slight tweaks here and there for years. So when they acquired the Fallout license they decided to gussy up another of their clones and shoe horn it in. My problem is that the games industry in general right now just wants to congeal almost every IP into just a few cookie cutter formats, because it makes for a safe investment. So watching yet another IP get funneled into this gelatinous grey mush is just sad to see.

10. SantaAna12

SantaAna12 Member

"I preferred the cityscapes in FO3."

+1

11. BeauCharles

BeauCharles Member

+2. Just finished FO NV in December (only my second play through). I liked it more than the first time, but not enough to buy any of the DLCs. Characters are much better written than FO3 (especially followers), but the game world wasn't as interesting. Perfect game for me would be Bethesda designing the game world and Obsidian writing the script.

12. Kev

Kev Lifer

It's a video game.

13. ibex333

ibex333 Diamond Member

You dont know what you're talking about. Clearly you didnt play Fallout 3 and beyound enough to comment on the topic.

14. motsm

motsm Golden Member

I didn't spend weeks with the game, but I played plenty of it to know it's exactly as I'm describing. Perhaps you think I'm saying it's a bad quality mod? It's very well done for being an Oblivion mod, but it still plays like one, which is bad enough for reasons I already went into in my post after it. It seems like most people that liked Oblivion just have blinders on to just how similar the two games are, but whatever, don't believe me.

15. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Still need to have some suspension of disbelieve. Things that make no sense even in the context of the game are immersion breakers.

16. PhatoseAlpha

PhatoseAlpha Platinum Member

Well, in that case lets add flying purple dragons, power pills and summon spells.

17. slpnshot

slpnshot Senior member

You mean Skyrim?

18. CrackRabbit

CrackRabbit Lifer

No. Skyrim, WITH GUNS.

Seriously though there were two problems I had with Fallout 3; the first was the lack of dark humor from the first 2 games. New Vegas had a good helping of it, but it was also written by the same people as the first 2.
    The second was the dull NPCs, with a couple of exceptions the NPC were about as much fun as cardboard. Again something else that was fixed in NV.

19. Kev

Kev Lifer

So you'd prefer having to spend hours upon hours upon hours walking through a barren wasteland just to get to a single destination? Great, have fun with that.

20. motsm

motsm Golden Member

There's a balance to be found of course, but making the wasteland itself a bit more interesting would always help. I always remember when modders started pushing Morrowind's draw distance far beyond it's default maximums, and it really made the world feel silly. You could often see multiple towns and climates by just scanning your immediate surroundings.

21. Bman123

Bman123 Diamond Member

Fallout 3 and NV are my 2 favorite games of the current gen. I could not play oblivion at all, I really dislike that game and cannot get into it at all

22. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

I'm the oipposite. I don't find first person immersive at all. I barely played Fallout 3. Played 1 and 2 for years.

23. power_hour

power_hour Senior member

Boston? Really?
    Hopefully I can visit Cheers at least. Norm the cannibal.

24. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

My guess is that they chose Boston so that they could probably continue some of the plot from the last game. My guess is that the Commonwealth will play a large role. Depending on how long before or after the events of Fallout 3 the game is set, there could be some other similarities.

Regardless, once they're done with 4, hopefully they let Obsidian make another Fallout game. Would be interesting to let them continue making games the follow the original and have Bethesda focus on the east coast.

25. PhatoseAlpha

PhatoseAlpha Platinum Member

You know, there are ways to deal with having a spaced out wasteland without spending hours wandering. They managed it in both Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, over a decade ago, and I'm pretty sure they managed it in Wasteland over two decades ago. It's not actually all that hard.

That said, I'd want to have a world that was believable. New Vegas managed that, didn't have to walk for hours. Just a matter of putting some actual thought into the world design - which Bethesda did not do in Fallout 3.