Fallout 4 - set in Boston!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pong lenis

Apr 23, 2013
Fallout 1, 2 and NV were made by the people at Obsidian (former Black Isle). After you play those and compare it to 3, the difference should be obvious. 3 was not a bad game, but it wasn't Fallout.

The only obvious thing is whenever someone is bashing Fallout 3, 90% of the time he includes in the very same sentence the fact it was made by Bethesda not Obsidion. This leads you to the conclusion that it's all the result of bias against the makers of the game, instead of a judgment of the game itself.
And this without mentioning the fact New Vegas had a different team of developers than Fallout 1, and different writers, but who cares? As long as they're called "Obsidion" then they make true Fallouts. I guess if I change my name to Einstein I'll become a genius.

Last edited:

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Loved everything about FO: NV. Just hope they "fix" the animations by using a different engine this time around. Animations just felt so unnatural in FO3, FO:NV, and Oblivion.

I agree, I really like the Fallout series, just the graphics are very lacking.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Isn't Mass Effect third person only?

I thought the acting and writing were much better in FNV than in F3, with the notable exception of Three Dog, but F3 had its charm as well. It was more accomodating at low level and I loved the ruined buildings, just wish they had been explorable. FNV seemed more linear starting out, although much less linear later. Never even got started on F1 and F2 as they are woefully dated (and third person) after F3.

While Mass Effect is third person, it had a fully voiced main character in both sexes. With enough time an effort that could certainly be done for a Fallout game while keeping most of the game first person.

You are doing yourself a disservice by not playing the first two games, as dated and buggy as they are.

:confused:

how is that even possible? what does someone use to try and qualify it as not being post-apocalyptic to any degree?

...I'm going to go out on a limb and think their are mouth-breathing dingleberries out there that probably can't understand that you very much can have old western music, and certainly western themes, in post-apocalyptic settings.

funny thing--"post apocalytipc" is the western genre at its core. It doesn't really exist without typical western themes.

(I mention this because I've heard complaints about "EWW! Country Music!" in NV. This, from people that clearly have no fucking clue what they are getting into; so I assume it's similar to anyone that doesn't know anything about either genre.)

I actually smiled the first time I heard Marty Robbins singing 'Big Iron' in game, but I have soft spot for classic country.
I do wish both Fallout 3 and New Vegas had more music without having to mod them. Considering that a large amount of material from the musical era that they use has had the copyright lapse on it it should have been much easier to grab a ton of royalty free or very inexpensive music to use.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I actually smiled the first time I heard Marty Robbins singing 'Big Iron' in game, but I have soft spot for classic country.
I do wish both Fallout 3 and New Vegas had more music without having to mod them. Considering that a large amount of material from the musical era that they use has had the copyright lapse on it it should have been much easier to grab a ton of royalty free or very inexpensive music to use.

I think the amount of music is fine, despite how repetitive and annoying it becomes, early on.

You are in a rather desolate wasteland with minimal services, and even more limited resources. You have whatever music remains from ~40-50 years previous, that survived the attack and the decades of fallout. It's not like anyone is producing anything new.

Another hilarious issue that I assume annoys people, is they expect some sort of "techno" or "electronic" type music, because of all the rather sophomoric sci fi books and movies that pump that shit into their apocalyptic worlds. (different than Dystopian, where it makes sense. So if people are confusing post-apocalyptic with Dystopian, then that's another thing).

I guess players forget that time stopped ~1954 in these games, when people retreated to the shelters. No one has been up and about producing things, as the the only goal anyone above world has is to survive first, and hopefully re-establish civilization.

Last edited:

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I think the amount of music is fine, despite how repetitive and annoying it becomes, early on.

You are in a rather desolate wasteland with minimal services, and even more limited resources. You have whatever music remains from ~40-50 years previous, that survived the attack and the decades of fallout. It's not like anyone is producing anything new.

Another hilarious issue that I assume annoys people, is they expect some sort of "techno" or "electronic" type music, because of all the rather sophomoric sci fi books and movies that pump that shit into their apocalyptic worlds. (different than Dystopian, where it makes sense. So if people are confusing post-apocalyptic with Dystopian, then that's another thing).

I guess players forget that time stopped ~1954 in these games, when people retreated to the shelters. No one has been up and about producing things, as the the only goal anyone above world has is to survive first, and hopefully re-establish civilization.

Not quite, the culture of the Fallout games is a mockery of the mid to late 1950s America, and the technology is meant to represent the realization of the 1950s 'Futura' style. But the bombs didn't drop until 2077 and the first game didn't take place till almost 100 years later.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

I agree with CrackRabbit - I find the music selection to be woefully inadequate. I've grown to love "Big Iron" and "Jingle jangle jingle", and I've always liked "Ain't that a kick in the head" and "Why don't you do right", but I have a burning desire to wipe out the entire lines of everyone involved with "Johnny Guitar" and "It's a sin to tell a lie". And evidently I have "evil music" enabled in one of my mods because I get those two songs three of four times I enter a building or turn on a radio. Much better (and much more) music in Fallout 3.

jimhsu

Mar 22, 2009
For NV, replaced the music with (better) bebop and hard-bop selections from that time. Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Wes Montgomery, Thad Jones, Lee Morgan, Art Blakey ... just some ideas.

Playing FO3 and NV, I can't help but appreciate that Bethesda and Obsidian take different approaches towards making RPGs. Bethesda focuses more on adding content to the world and encouraging free exploration, while Obsidian focuses more towards providing an engaging, balanced gameplay experience. For instance, in selecting weapons -- FO3 has energy weapons as a superior alternative to other arms (as a function of the player's "progression" towards the point where those weapons appear); however they appear earlier in NV, but are offset with disadvantages (encouraging a balanced experience). I think both approaches have their merit.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Latest news is that Fallout 4 will probably be released fall of 2015. I think I am officially over Fallout 4. I'm just too damned old to reward a publisher for releasing games I like every five years. If anything, maybe I'll pick up the GOTY edition when it's $20 on Steam, if I am still gamng then.