Fallout 3 Today!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Modular
The videos I've seen don't always show FPS style combat. Do you have the option for FPS style or 3rd person like Oblivion?

I haven't adjusted the view yet myself, but I believe you can switch between 1st person and 3rd person view. There is a key option to change view, so I would assume yes.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
Originally posted by: Modular
The atmosphere (as it is created by sounds and interactions) reminds me alot of Bioshock, with the 50's music/commercials etc. That being said, if it comes anywhere near Bioshock in gameplay/story then it's going to be epic.

I agree , the artwork ,pipboy , style all remind me of Bioshock

Whoa, I :heart: Bioshock. Dont make me spend $50!

Also, definitely update us with more impressions

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: brandonb
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
Originally posted by: CVSiN
Well its getting 9+ s on most reviews IGNs was a 9.6 calling it extraordinary.

This is a must buy.

Anything short of 9.9 from modern reviewers is pretty lackluster imo. Heck even perfect 10s wouldn't impress me nowadays.

IGN reviews are completely worthless IMO. Didn't an insider in that company leak that they were paid by publishers to give good reviews on games?

That's GameSpot.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: brandonb
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
Originally posted by: CVSiN
Well its getting 9+ s on most reviews IGNs was a 9.6 calling it extraordinary.

This is a must buy.

Anything short of 9.9 from modern reviewers is pretty lackluster imo. Heck even perfect 10s wouldn't impress me nowadays.

IGN reviews are completely worthless IMO. Didn't an insider in that company leak that they were paid by publishers to give good reviews on games?

Most reviewers in the game industry I find are full of BS. Between game companies choosing who will review what and Embargos I dont trust most reviews out there. I have no idea why this industry gets away with it while the movie industry does not.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I think I'm going to wait also. I haven't finished Clear Sky yet, I've been playing FC2, and I also haven't gone very far in the latest Settler's expansion. Plus, I can wait to see reviews from other players and see what they think.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: MetalMat
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Hugh H
Does anyone know the differences between the Steam version and retail? Would I be able to download/play mods if I get the Steam version?

You should be able to, but there is no real point to getting the steam version unless you really dont want to go buy it at the store since they are both the same price.

the point would be to not have to worry about losing the cd and you don't have a box to throw away or take up space. You can also always redownlaod it later if you want to (and even on another PC anywhere in the world, as long as you have steam installed on that PC).

Cant you do that with any game that you can buy in stores that are offered off of steam if you register it it with Valve? I know thats the way all my old games work (HL 1 and 2)

Only certain games (mostly Valve titles) can be registered on Steam. For instance, Bioshock is offered on Steam, but you can't register it with Steam. Same with the W40k series. It made me sad because I have a retail copy of those games :(
The Orange Box, on the other hand, can be registered with Steam

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I think I'm going to wait also. I haven't finished Clear Sky yet, I've been playing FC2, and I also haven't gone very far in the latest Settler's expansion. Plus, I can wait to see reviews from other players and see what they think.

Eh you prob...

:heart:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

Eh you prob...

I liked the original Fallouts, even Tactics.

I also like FC2, which lots of people here seem to hate.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: 9mak9
i love rpgs but I tried playing the first game and couldnt get into it...maybe cause its really outdated and its hard to get into an older game unless you played it before. I still really want to play the 3rd one but I'm not sure if Ill be missing something

Well, the previews don't indicate any continuity with Fallout 3 beyond the basic premise. Even Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 had relatively little continuity (lots of recognizable places, but relatively little in common as far as story goes).

But if you're really afraid of missing something, go get a GameFAQs walkthrough and play through the first two. It's really fun, trust us.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Looks like $49 + $10 gift card at Circuit City is the best deal. This is a first PC game without a hefty discount on it's first week. :(

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

Eh you prob...

I liked the original Fallouts, even Tactics.

I also like FC2, which lots of people here seem to hate.

I've never played through tactics. I think the last time I tried I was too young to really "get it." They have it on Good Old Games, right? I should pick that up.

ashishmishra

Nov 23, 2005
I got the PC version at the midnight launch at best buy. Played for about two hours, looks great and runs brilliantly on rig in sig. All of my apprehensions about them using oblivion's engine are gone, frame rate is very-very smooth. It looks pretty good as well, paints a brilliantly bleak picture of the surroundings. Haven't really gone on a true quest yet but this game seems like a time sink to me. Between the lush surroundings of fable 2 and the bleak environments of fallout 3, I am in a state of gaming bliss.

BTW: Res is 1680x1050, all settings and sliders maxed, and 4xAA & 16xAF

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Anyone know if Steam will automatically start downloading a game once it's released? I don't want to have to manually start it once I get home from work.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Damnit...I didn't want to spend any money....and now I'm going to freaking have to buy it.

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
I picked up a PC copy at Walmart at lunch.....they had 'em out on the shelves when I arrived and there's a sticker on it that says 'Don't sell before Oct 28.' Which makes me think they've been in the store stockroom.

Didn't get into gameplay much but so far it runs well on my rig. I don't need another game but couldn't resist this one. Right now I'm playing Crysis and Warhammer on the PC, Tiger Woods 09 and NHL 2K9 on the 360, Castlevania/Ecclesia on the DS, and FF Tactics on the PSP. :disgust:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: 40Hands
Anyone know if Steam will automatically start downloading a game once it's released? I don't want to have to manually start it once I get home from work.

I had to start Far Cry 2 manually, so I bet you'll have to start this manually as well. Pretty crappy that it doesn't preload or start loading automatically.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Hugh H
Does anyone know the differences between the Steam version and retail? Would I be able to download/play mods if I get the Steam version?

You should be able to, but there is no real point to getting the steam version unless you really dont want to go buy it at the store since they are both the same price.

the point would be to not have to worry about losing the cd and you don't have a box to throw away or take up space. You can also always redownlaod it later if you want to (and even on another PC anywhere in the world, as long as you have steam installed on that PC).

Cant you do that with any game that you can buy in stores that are offered off of steam if you register it it with Valve? I know thats the way all my old games work (HL 1 and 2)

I'm pretty sure that is only true with Valve games. I don't think that would apply with this. I have plenty of games that are now on Steam, but I bought the CD, so I could try it out I guess, but I sincerely doubt it will work (Plus, how would you register it with Valve in the first place?)

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Originally posted by: 40Hands

I had to start Far Cry 2 manually, so I bet you'll have to start this manually as well. Pretty crappy that it doesn't preload or start loading automatically.

Yeah, there are some remote programs that can start it for you. Anyway Steam is getting so hammered right now, all people are experiencing about 1/5 - 1/10 of there dload speed...

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: DefDC
Looks like $49 + $10 gift card at Circuit City is the best deal. This is a first PC game without a hefty discount on it's first week. :(
Far Cry 2 didn't have a discount either. They gave you a free DL of Far Cry 1. Woo. Hoo. :roll: I'm used to huge discounts from CC. I guess they're too po' to do that anymore.

I've been trying to decide whether to use a $10 Reward Zone cert at Beast Buy and get points or use a $10 GC from CC that I got ages ago and I think I'll go with CC cuz you get the mini-guide and another $10 card. Money's money.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Anyone else having the game crash when you launch the exe? By crash I mean it starts but ends up not responding and I need to end it from Task manager.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Brother bought it for me via direct2drive today. Best brother ever.

Taking a bit to download since my free internet got nerfed. :(

Apr 16, 2008
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
Anyone else having the game crash when you launch the exe? By crash I mean it starts but ends up not responding and I need to end it from Task manager.

First time I launched it the game crashed. And both times I quit it locked up as well.

Vista Ultimate 64-bit here with the latest Nvidia drivers.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Well, I just started playing and when I set foot out of the vault I just thought "wow".

Beautiful desolation.

It reminds me a LOT of oblivion but with guns it should play a lot differently, I can't comment on the AI yet though. You can change your view with the scroll wheel anywhere from FPS to near top down view. The excessive gore (shoot a guy with a pistol in the toe and his arms and head explode) is a perk you can chose not to pick up later and you don't have to use that damn automated combat system if you don't want to (may be handy for nades).

Now I'm off to do some pointless exploring.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Just got it... still installing Windows Live after 5 minutes. How big is this thing:confused:.

Oh, and I'm hyperventilating looking through the manual, free hint guide and 'Art'. I LOVE the lunchbox, but still can't decide whether it looks nicer with or without the hard plastic wrapper with the game info.