Fallout 3 questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1ManArmY

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Smilin
I just finished the game. I'm about to play through again.

Some tips:
Start on Very Easy, change difficulty after a few hours of gameplay. It's just damn hard when you're low on ammo and don't have enough skills to aim. Later on if you leave it at easy you won't be gaining enough XP

I'm probably going to add a bit more into medical this time around. It really has a big impact on how rad-x and stimpacks work.

Gettign addicted really isn't a big deal. It costs 50 caps to get yourself fixed by the megaton doc. One 50 cap fix cures multiple addictions. The negatives to addiction aren't that high. At the end of the game I found I had horded meds waay to much. Use em.

Lockpicking:
If you get some good motion on the first attempt, proceed. If not, stop picking and restart. You'll never break a bobbypin this way. Each stop/restart changes the sweet spot though so do the stop/restart immediately after a sweet-spot miss. reason is: if you get close to the sweet spot you want another 2 attempts. If you get two misses then hit a near-hit you have to stop/restart and the sweet spot moves (I hope that ramble made sense)

Hacking:
Stop after 3 attempts and restart to get a new set. No excuse to get locked out.

Start-of-game must-do:
Moira will give you that quest to get irradiated up to 200 rads or optionally 600. you MUST do the 600...it gives you a great perk. If you turn in the quest at 200 you never get a shot at this.

Take the time to defuse the megaton bomb. I went almost the whole game without the "house". It sucked.

Hauling shit around:
Some extra points in repair will help you combine that one extra weapon to save weight.
A shot of liquor gives a poor-mans strength boost to get you back to town.
Use companion characters as mules (not seen till later in the game).

Lockpicking:
I put a lot into this. I never found anything in the game that was irreplaceable inside a locked box. It's just ammo, caps and an occassional minor item. Don't feel like you're missing something if you pass up a locked door/box.

Use the perk that gives you an extra point of skill for reading a book! When you first get the option you're like "one point...meh". Keep in mind you only get one point so adding one is effectively a 100% boost per book. Trust me, by end game it adds up. I wish I had used this perk.

Conversely I don't think I'll use the 10% added experience perk. Hell, just kill 11 enemies instead of 10. You'll make up the difference. Flip the difficulty up to very hard just before finishign someone off if you want then turn it back down.

SPOILER ALERT-------------------------------

-the entrance to the forward part of the rivet city aircraft carrier is underwater. Its a passageway that used to run the length of the ship but has been exposed now that the ship is cut in two.
-Vault 101 re-entrance. This side quest will appear on it's own. You'll one day get notified that a vault 101 emergency radio channel is back online.

1ManArmY

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Smilin
I just finished the game. I'm about to play through again.

Some tips:
Start on Very Easy, change difficulty after a few hours of gameplay. It's just damn hard when you're low on ammo and don't have enough skills to aim. Later on if you leave it at easy you won't be gaining enough XP

I'm probably going to add a bit more into medical this time around. It really has a big impact on how rad-x and stimpacks work.

Gettign addicted really isn't a big deal. It costs 50 caps to get yourself fixed by the megaton doc. One 50 cap fix cures multiple addictions. The negatives to addiction aren't that high. At the end of the game I found I had horded meds waay to much. Use em.

Lockpicking:
If you get some good motion on the first attempt, proceed. If not, stop picking and restart. You'll never break a bobbypin this way. Each stop/restart changes the sweet spot though so do the stop/restart immediately after a sweet-spot miss. reason is: if you get close to the sweet spot you want another 2 attempts. If you get two misses then hit a near-hit you have to stop/restart and the sweet spot moves (I hope that ramble made sense)

Hacking:
Stop after 3 attempts and restart to get a new set. No excuse to get locked out.

Start-of-game must-do:
Moira will give you that quest to get irradiated up to 200 rads or optionally 600. you MUST do the 600...it gives you a great perk. If you turn in the quest at 200 you never get a shot at this.

Take the time to defuse the megaton bomb. I went almost the whole game without the "house". It sucked.

Hauling shit around:
Some extra points in repair will help you combine that one extra weapon to save weight.
A shot of liquor gives a poor-mans strength boost to get you back to town.
Use companion characters as mules (not seen till later in the game).

Lockpicking:
I put a lot into this. I never found anything in the game that was irreplaceable inside a locked box. It's just ammo, caps and an occassional minor item. Don't feel like you're missing something if you pass up a locked door/box.

Use the perk that gives you an extra point of skill for reading a book! When you first get the option you're like "one point...meh". Keep in mind you only get one point so adding one is effectively a 100% boost per book. Trust me, by end game it adds up. I wish I had used this perk.

Conversely I don't think I'll use the 10% added experience perk. Hell, just kill 11 enemies instead of 10. You'll make up the difference. Flip the difficulty up to very hard just before finishign someone off if you want then turn it back down.

SPOILER ALERT-------------------------------

-the entrance to the forward part of the rivet city aircraft carrier is underwater. Its a passageway that used to run the length of the ship but has been exposed now that the ship is cut in two.
-Vault 101 re-entrance. This side quest will appear on it's own. You'll one day get notified that a vault 101 emergency radio channel is back online.

Question about lok picking on the PC. First I change my config from the WASD
to EDSF the F key is the force lock. I can't figure out which key initially places the bobby pin and which key moves the screw driver. I've been trying to pay close attention but it doesn't seem which key I use E or S neither one moves the bobby pin or screw driver
E-forward
D-backward
S-left
F-right
W-use key

I thought you could place the bobby pin initially at 10 O'clock 2 O'clock or 12 Noon then move the screwdriver in the direction of least resistance.

Assistance please, just trying to be more efficient

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The pin appears automatically, then I set or change the angle it with the mouse not a keyboard key. If it starts to shake I change the angle with the mouse and try again.

Listen to the sound, it's a clue to the best starting spot.

1ManArmY

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
The pin appears automatically, then I set or change the angle it with the mouse not a keyboard key. If it starts to shake I change the angle with the mouse and try again.

Listen to the sound, it's a clue to the best starting spot.

Oh, does the mouse only control the placement of the bobby pin? then use the keyboard keys to move the screwdriver?

Thanks for the tips.