Fallout 3 Operation Anchorage released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
I think I am gonna wait a bit before I go spend 10 bucks on this. I want to know exactly how this will work with the Games for Windows Live. Its already somewhat goofy the way it won't load your saves unless you are signed in. I am aware that you can move your saves around. Is this just like a normal ESM mod? Would you just have to move your saves if not connected to the internet and GFWL? I am not a big fan of making me "be connected" in order to use the software I paid for.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Quizard
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Originally posted by: TidusZ
Originally posted by: Arglebargle
Gonna have to be pretty good to get me to deal with the idiot Games for Windoze Live BS.

or just dl through a torrent

First let me say that I agree with you, but I gotta warn you some dick is gonna come by soon and yell at you and try to get you banned. I'd edit your post before said dick arrives.

So you're both recommending stealing the content instead of paying for it?

Theft is cool, paying developers for their work makes you a dick? Nice to get that cleared up.

I payed for the game so all added content should be free!!! Does valve make you pay for the added updates to Team fortress 2 or any other games they make???? NO!! Because you payed for the games and they believe that content should be free.

So you stole Episode 1 and 2 because Valve "owed" you them? Do you steal all expansion packs for games because you "bought the original"?

Were did I say anything about half-life my little down syndrome friend?
Last time I checked Half-Life is a Valve game.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Gonna have to be pretty good to get me to deal with the idiot Games for Windoze Live BS.

First let me say that I agree with you, but I gotta warn you some dick is gonna come by soon and yell at you and try to get you banned. I'd edit your post before said dick arrives.

Yeah, and its a good chance the dicks name is chizow.
Yes its a shame people like me need to be "dicks" and attempt to reverse the failings of your parents by informing degenerate trash like you that stealing is fundamentally wrong.

As for the rest of the idiots advocating and condoning piracy, good job telling the guy he should edit his post, then quoting him a dozen times......that'll make it real easy for him to edit his post....:roll:

I'll do my part and quote you :)
I don't even know what Microsoft points are, let alone register for that Live BS. I'll check this game out later and post my review :)

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008

Theft is cool, paying developers for their work makes you a dick? Nice to get that cleared up.

I payed for the game so all added content should be free!!! Does valve make you pay for the added updates to Team fortress 2 or any other games they make???? NO!! Because you payed for the games and they believe that content should be free.

So you stole Episode 1 and 2 because Valve "owed" you them? Do you steal all expansion packs for games because you "bought the original"?

Well there you go you answered your own argument. I said updates not expansion pack correct???Besides those are episodes not expansions, they are stand alone which don't require Half-Life 2. Operation: Anchorage is not an expansion pack, can be called one,but its more of a add on(very short add-on from what Ive heard) So its more like an update that should be free and many people would agree with that.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Just because bethesda is charging for the additional content while other companies don't, doesn't make it ok to pirate it. If you don't think it's worth it, just don't buy it, simple as that.

I mean shit guys, the game itself is already like 20-60 hours long, depending on how you play. If you want an additional couple hours or whatever of game play, then pony up the $10. I mean, at least you're paying for gameplay and not "horse armor". ;)

I'm probably not going to buy it myself, but I don't think I "deserve" it either just because I bought the original game. I had my 30 hours with it and it was well worth it.

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Originally posted by: mindcycle
Just because bethesda is charging for the additional content while other companies don't, doesn't make it ok to pirate it. If you don't think it's worth it, just don't buy it, simple as that.

I mean shit guys, the game itself is already like 20-60 hours long, depending on how you play. If you want an additional couple hours or whatever of game play, then pony up the $10. I mean, at least you're paying for gameplay and not "horse armor". ;)

I'm probably not going to buy it myself, but I don't think I "deserve" it either just because I bought the original game. I had my 30 hours with it and it was well worth it.

Bethesda isn't charging for it M$ is. Valve wants to release a major update for Team Fortress 2 for Xbox 360 for free, M$ is forcing them to make a price for it. heres an article at Shacknews read at the bottom of page. That is why I believe M$ is charging the price.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Well there you go you answered your own argument. I said updates not expansion pack correct???Besides those are episodes not expansions, they are stand alone which don't require Half-Life 2. Operation: Anchorage is not an expansion pack, can be called one,but its more of a add on(very short add-on from what Ive heard) So its more like an update that should be free and many people would agree with that.

HL2 Episode One was only around 6 hours long so by this logic it must be on your "OK to steal" list too, right?

If you think add-ons are overpriced the ethical response is to not buy them, but not to steal them either. But not everyone has a sense of ethics I guess.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: mindcycle

Bethesda isn't charging for it M$ is. Valve wants to release a major update for Team Fortress 2 for Xbox 360 for free, M$ is forcing them to make a price for it. heres an article at Shacknews read at the bottom of page. That is why I believe M$ is charging the price.

Does betheda actually want to give it away free, or are they expecting people to pay for it? If it's the latter then this would have nothing to do with what Valve is going through with M$ (which is BS, I agree).

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008

HL2 Episode One was only around 6 hours long so by this logic it must be on your "OK to steal" list too, right?

If you think add-ons are overpriced the ethical response is to not buy them, but not to steal them either. But not everyone has a sense of ethics I guess.

yea if HL2-ep1 was an hour long like Operation Anchorage(main quest as from what my friend told me) then yes I would dl it or get it from my friend

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
It sounds like people on both sides of the debate are agreeing that buying operation anchorage for $10 is a bad deal. I know I slept well last night, and I will tonight. Do what makes you happy.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
It sounds like people on both sides of the debate are agreeing that buying operation anchorage for $10 is a bad deal. I know I slept well last night, and I will tonight. Do what makes you happy.

Wow. I can't believe that people think that way. You have never been a part of a design team, working your ass off to get your product out? Going weeks without seeing your family, because you need to work out those last minute bugs? Then releasing the product, and hoping it does well enough so that you don't get layed off. They use that money to pay the people who develop, package, ship, store, and sell that product, and you feel it is alright to just take it. You think that it is alright that they worked 100 hours a week at the end to get you that product, but don't feel like paying them for that effort even though you use their product? Honestly, how could you actually feel that way?

Maybe it is because I am an engineer, and I have seen colleagues layed off on a seemingly daily basis just because our sales weren't good enough to afford them. I know that the colleagues weren't lazy, or our product inferior, but still the product doesn't do well enough. It angers me that pirates would take their hard work and just spit at them for doing it. I honestly hope that piracy becomes a major felony and that soon anyone who does it will be caught and spends time in prison.

If you don't like the product, just don't buy it. Don't spit at the people who made it by stealing it.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

You only paid for the game. The game did not come advertising free DLC in the future. It did not state in any advertisements, box information, or in the manuals that you would be getting this stuff so why do you suddenly feel that you are entitled to anything? If Valve wants to put out content for free and Bethesda doesn't then that's their business.

What is wrong with some people these days?

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Martimus

Wow. I can't believe that people think that way. You have never been a part of a design team, working your ass off to get your product out? Going weeks without seeing your family, because you need to work out those last minute bugs? Then releasing the product, and hoping it does well enough so that you don't get layed off. They use that money to pay the people who develop, package, ship, store, and sell that product, and you feel it is alright to just take it. You think that it is alright that they worked 100 hours a week at the end to get you that product, but don't feel like paying them for that effort even though you use their product? Honestly, how could you actually feel that way?

Maybe it is because I am an engineer, and I have seen colleagues layed off on a seemingly daily basis just because our sales weren't good enough to afford them. I know that the colleagues weren't lazy, or our product inferior, but still the product doesn't do well enough. It angers me that pirates would take their hard work and just spit at them for doing it. I honestly hope that piracy becomes a major felony and that soon anyone who does it will be caught and spends time in prison.

If you don't like the product, just don't buy it. Don't spit at the people who made it by stealing it.

be a better engineer then...

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007

Well I'm gonna give you full disclosure here mr engi. I downloaded fallout 3 as soon as it was released - I wanted to see if it was worth buying. Played it for an hour, could tell it was quality, and went to the store and bought it. Now with this update, it just doesn't look that compelling to me, and I have no plan of playing it. I have downloaded it, but haven't played it, and if I do some day decide to play it, if I think its worth $10 I'll pay it. The reality of the situation is with most singleplayer games nobody has to buy them anymore, so it comes down to a choice. You may feel that you don't have a choice and I'm not sure if that is noble or downright stupid. Either way, I'm doing what I feel is right, and my money is going to support good games. Give me a three day ban mods, right here <-- I don't know what I did wrong, but I'm sure I've earned it.

Oh, and I might add, I've bought just about every blizzard came to come out, even ones I didn't put much time into (warcraft 2 b.net edition..), and I've purchased god only knows how many copies of diablo 2. When the expansion for red alert 3 comes out, I'll pay to download that - that simple game has provided me with many hours of entertainment.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Is it all right with you if your boss adopts the same policy towards paying you that you do to paying for games?

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
If I don't do a good job then I'll get fired. I work in a critical care area. If I fuck up and give a wrong dosage or miss an assessment I"m likely going to be fired - if I am lazy, late, and a poor worker, I'll get fired. If I do my job well, I will get to keep my job and get paid. Pretty much the same thing.

Blizzard Entertainment makes amazing games, one after the other, and they have more money than some countries gdp. Other lesser companies have more money than they know what to do with (possibly turn it to coin and swim in it?? Duck Tales, waooooh!). I imagine that Bethesda did pretty well with fallout 3, and if this anchorage thing was as good as the original game they'd probably make good cash there - but the initial reviews and word of mouth is not so hot.

I think that not paying for shitty games isn't really a novel idea. Granted, a lot of people will just download away whether it's good or bad, and I'm against that. I'm not happy about it, and I don't think its morally a great thing to do, but i'm not going to piss on their parade. Do you walk into a new friends house and give him a lecture about how he split the cable illegally or that he smokes cannabis? Sometimes you gotta live and let live. Otherwise your like a jehovah's witness who wont stop ringing the doorbell.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
This seems really stupid. The only reason I have an account on GFWL is because GTA 4 required it. Lots of people playing Fallout 3 do not own GTA 4, so they have absolutely no reason to have an account up until now. I'm not a marketing guru or anything, but forcing your customers to jump through hoops before you'll let them give you money sounds like a horrible idea. It doesn't matter if this is Microsoft's fault or Bethesda's fault, either way it's a horrible strategy.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Ya, making it easier to download illegally than to purchase online was a bonehead move, no doubt.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
If I don't do a good job then I'll get fired. I work in a critical care area. If I fuck up and give a wrong dosage or miss an assessment I"m likely going to be fired - if I am lazy, late, and a poor worker, I'll get fired. If I do my job well, I will get to keep my job and get paid. Pretty much the same thing.

Blizzard Entertainment makes amazing games, one after the other, and they have more money than some countries gdp. Other lesser companies have more money than they know what to do with (possibly turn it to coin and swim in it?? Duck Tales, waooooh!). I imagine that Bethesda did pretty well with fallout 3, and if this anchorage thing was as good as the original game they'd probably make good cash there - but the initial reviews and word of mouth is not so hot.

I think that not paying for shitty games isn't really a novel idea. Granted, a lot of people will just download away whether it's good or bad, and I'm against that. I'm not happy about it, and I don't think its morally a great thing to do, but i'm not going to piss on their parade. Do you walk into a new friends house and give him a lecture about how he split the cable illegally or that he smokes cannabis? Sometimes you gotta live and let live. Otherwise your like a jehovah's witness who wont stop ringing the doorbell.

"Getting fired" isn't the same thing you are doing. Instead, it would be more like you worked for someone for a month while they "tried you out", and then decided they didn't want to give you your end of the month pay check.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Joemonkey

:laugh:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: zerogear

Because being a better engineer would stop people from pirating? I don't understand the reference. I was just trying to show people that people are actually working on that stuff you are stealing. I made an assumption that the people who have no problem stealing what someone else put so much effort in to make have never made something themselves.

I know that I wouldn't work for someone for a month, and then have them tell me I didn't do a good enough job and not pay me for my work. Maybe they could fire me, but that doesn't mean they aren't obligated to pay me for what I worked for.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by: zerogear

Because being a better engineer would stop people from pirating? I don't understand the reference. I was just trying to show people that people are actually working on that stuff you are stealing. I made an assumption that the people who have no problem stealing what someone else put so much effort in to make have never made something themselves.

I know that I wouldn't work for someone for a month, and then have them tell me I didn't do a good enough job and not pay me for my work. Maybe they could fire me, but that doesn't mean they aren't obligated to pay me for what I worked for.

Being a better engineer in this day and age typically means kissing more ass / taking more shortcuts to meet deadlines. Somehow I don't think these are what the world needs.

It's absolutely mind-boggling reading some of the posts here. It's only an hour long... This somehow means you shouldn't have to pay for it? Yes, some devs do it differently, but if you're like me and you enjoyed the original you'll go ahead and pay $10 for more of the same (although I guess the verdict is still out on this one). I'll never understand that kind of logic. The publisher sets a price, and you either pay it or you don't; if you end up with the game without paying for it, you're stealing, period.

Lumathix

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: Maximilian

Yeah, and its a good chance the dicks name is chizow.
Yes its a shame people like me need to be "dicks" and attempt to reverse the failings of your parents by informing degenerate trash like you that stealing is fundamentally wrong.

As for the rest of the idiots advocating and condoning piracy, good job telling the guy he should edit his post, then quoting him a dozen times......that'll make it real easy for him to edit his post....:roll:

rofl :thumbsup:

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
The main problem for me is the tie in with GFWL, when I use Steam for my content distribution...

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow..just wow... people complaining about an add-on that cost a measly $10?