Fallout 3 Operation Anchorage released

JF060392

Apr 2, 2005

It needs Games for Windows to download. I got it but the quest will not start. Anyone else have the same issues

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
It got 5/10 on Eurogamer. I think what you could compare it to is the last "level" or quest of the main quest in Fallout 3. I haven't played it, but the review made it sound like that part where:

SPOILER

you start up the rock'em sock'em bot, except there's no robot and you do the shooting this time.

JF060392

Apr 2, 2005
Originally posted by: nismotigerwvu
Go out into the wasteland, you'll get a new radio station and a quest will be added

i have waited an hour and no radio station has been found. anything else?

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com...-dlc-changes-gameplay/

There aren?t just new missions in ?Operation Anchorage,? Bethesda Softworks? first downloadable expansion for ?Fallout 3;? after just one hour in Alaska, I saw a concentrated effort to push ?Fallout 3? players to rethink how they play.

You?re not done with ?Fallout 3,? gamers.

Bethseda Softworks unleashed ?Operation Anchorage? last night, the first of three pieces of downloadable content for the studio?s post-apocalyptic RPG, and after spending an hour exploring chilly Alaska, I?ve impressed with how much thought was put into ?Operation Anchorage.?

?Operation Anchorage? is a new setting for ?Fallout 3,? depicting part of the world before nuclear bombs wrecked havoc on the landscape. It?s the polar opposite ? only a slight pun intended ? of ?Fallout 3? and a refreshing change of pace from the dreary, depressing world you?re normally traversing through.

But it?s not the visuals that stood out in the short time I spent with ?Operation Anchorage,? but how much the gameplay has been tinkered with. While the fundamentals remain the same, Bethesda?s made some serious changes to player interaction with the world. When an enemy?s killed, their body vanishes in a ?Matrix?-style flash, preventing you from searching them for items.

Searching downed enemies is a common survival technique in ?Fallout 3,? which is why ?Operation Anchorage? has auto-recharge stations for health and ammo. Combined with an ample weapon selection discovered in the first few minutes and a NPC?s subtle suggestion to try experimenting with both guns blazing and stealth, maybe it?s time to rethink how you once played ?Fallout 3.?

It?s no longer frustrating to fail at laying down some frag mines to an approaching group of enemies ? take the enemies out with a gun, hit the recharge station, move on. There?s less of an impulse to load up the menu screen and revert back to a save from a few seconds prior.

?Operation Anchorage,? at least in its first hour, is more action-focused than ?Fallout 3.? You try being stealthy, sure, but that?s probably not on your mind when the game hands over an ultra-power Gauss Rifle.

I knew Bethesda?s downloadable content would be a different experience, but I hardly expected them to toy with gamers expectations for how they should play ?Fallout 3.? If that?s the approach they?re taking with each of these downloadable expansions, I need to buy some more Microsoft Points.

dj2004

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2004
Originally posted by: coloumb

There aren?t just new missions in ?Operation Anchorage,? Bethesda Softworks? first downloadable expansion for ?Fallout 3;? after just one hour in Alaska, I saw a concentrated effort to push ?Fallout 3? players to rethink how they play.

<snip>

And that "review" is basically what was stated within the Q&A between IGN and Bethesda. I personally prefer a challenge. Especially for something that is likely going to be beaten once then forgotten.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Quizard
Originally posted by: Arglebargle
Gonna have to be pretty good to get me to deal with the idiot Games for Windoze Live BS.

or just dl through a torrent

First let me say that I agree with you, but I gotta warn you some dick is gonna come by soon and yell at you and try to get you banned. I'd edit your post before said dick arrives.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: TidusZ
Gonna have to be pretty good to get me to deal with the idiot Games for Windoze Live BS.

First let me say that I agree with you, but I gotta warn you some dick is gonna come by soon and yell at you and try to get you banned. I'd edit your post before said dick arrives.

Yeah, and its a good chance the dicks name is chizow.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Originally posted by: JF060392

It needs Games for Windows to download. I got it but the quest will not start. Anyone else have the same issues

Did you go into the Fallout Launcher -> Data -> check Operation Anchorage and click Ok to enable to mod?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Modular
I'm assuming this DLC is in no way free.

How much is it? I will try it out if it is free, and maybe if it is $5 or so as well. Can't find the cost on any site that isn't blocked from work.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I believe its 800 microsoft points which is like $10 usd. I'm not gonna bother though.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: dj2004
Originally posted by: coloumb

<snip>

And that "review" is basically what was stated within the Q&A between IGN and Bethesda. I personally prefer a challenge. Especially for something that is likely going to be beaten once then forgotten.

Maybe I'm still on a 'high' after working out, but I couldn't get what the 'review' was pushing. So are the restrictions and forced play-style good or bad?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I believe its 800 microsoft points which is like $10 usd. I'm not gonna bother though.

I figured the Microsoft Points were for the XBox. Why would Bethesda use Microsoft points on their PC game? Why would they make it difficult to buy the expansion for their game, by making them purchase some arbitrary points from a different company? This just doesn't make sense to me, you would think they want to make it as easy as possible for customers to pay them, not make it more difficult.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

So you're both recommending stealing the content instead of paying for it?

Theft is cool, paying developers for their work makes you a dick? Nice to get that cleared up.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Maximilian

Yeah, and its a good chance the dicks name is chizow.
Yes its a shame people like me need to be "dicks" and attempt to reverse the failings of your parents by informing degenerate trash like you that stealing is fundamentally wrong.

As for the rest of the idiots advocating and condoning piracy, good job telling the guy he should edit his post, then quoting him a dozen times......that'll make it real easy for him to edit his post....:roll:

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

Theft is cool, paying developers for their work makes you a dick? Nice to get that cleared up.

I payed for the game so all added content should be free!!! Does valve make you pay for the added updates to Team fortress 2 or any other games they make???? NO!! Because you payed for the games and they believe that content should be free.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

I payed for the game so all added content should be free!!! Does valve make you pay for the added updates to Team fortress 2 or any other games they make???? NO!! Because you payed for the games and they believe that content should be free.

So you stole Episode 1 and 2 because Valve "owed" you them? Do you steal all expansion packs for games because you "bought the original"?

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008

So you stole Episode 1 and 2 because Valve "owed" you them? Do you steal all expansion packs for games because you "bought the original"?

Were did I say anything about half-life my little down syndrome friend?