Fair Use of news stories

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Furthermore, I thought dmcowen settled it a few posts back. Complete reprints for the purpose of criticism and comment ARE protected under fair use. If people were posting complete articles for the sole purpose of defrauding NYT, then it wouldn't be protected.

But it is.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Furthermore, I thought dmcowen settled it a few posts back. Complete reprints for the purpose of criticism and comment ARE protected under fair use. If people were posting complete articles for the sole purpose of defrauding NYT, then it wouldn't be protected.

But it is.

Sorry I wish it was 100% settled, it is not because the Supreme Court decision was made in yesteryear (30 something years ago) before the advent of online computer publication (Internet) via copy and paste. So it is certainly a Gray area at the moment and better safe than sorry. The NY Times situation is very clear however, you must pay a registration fee in order to even see the articles, therefore if someone posts the entire article they are clearly violating NY Times Copyright and breaking the law.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
konichiwa - First, I posted in exactly 2 threads other than this one and both used exactly the same article from the NY Times. So don't try and dodge the fact that you're a whiney brat who's reacting to the fact that they've been told that stealing cookies is wrong by saying I was "thread crapping all over the place".

You also have great problems with reading comprehension, don't you? dmcowen674 went and checked with a lawyer and the lawyer agreed that I was right and Dave said he's going to change his posting habits accordingly. Seems that he did settle it, but in my favour, not on the side that it is ok to post whole articles.

And to be perfectly clear, I pointed this out here (in this thread), in a PM to the mods to see if they had a policy on it, and to Anand via email because the mod told me to (and I don't expect a response from him because he hasnever responded to me in the past when I've pointed out metasite issues). I have not and have no intentions of taking it outside of Anandtech. I don't feel it is my responsibility or job to do so. As an active participant in the community here, I thought it was appropriate to post it in this forum.

Michael