FAH with Linux Mint 20

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Just a heads up, version 20 won't let FAH Control install:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: python-gtk2|python-gnome2

There may be a work around but I am not inclined to go down that rabbit hole right now. I'll stay with Mint 19.3 until FAH updates their code to employ the latest version of Python.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
This has been corrected. I think Mint put the older Pythton 2 and 2.7 code back in. FAHcontrol installs and works st least on Mint LMDE 4.
In order to get it to work on Mint 20, I found the answer over on the Mint forum, the Folding at Home thread:

Mint Forum

There is a link to the Ubuntu archives and the python-gtk2 package. Download and install.
Link is now dead.

python-gtk2 package

FAHControl installed successfully after that. Whew! (I hate Linux) :confused_old:

Continue reading this thread for bread crumbs leading to current solution; a FAHContol in development that works with Python 3.

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Any chance you could spell that out for me, with the commands to enter in the terminal? The 2nd link is now 404. I tried reading the first link, but those guys aren't speaking any language I can understand...lol.

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Tony, go to biodoc's post #175 in the race thread. That's the current solution. If you still have a problem, post again.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I must be missing a step if anybody has any insight. I normally follow @biodoc 's post here - https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...coronavirus-race-thread.2578326/post-40107178

That previously had worked fine on Mint 19, but I'm trying it on Mint 20 and it's not detecting my graphics card. Trying to add the slot manually shows 'slot disabled'. Is there another cuda or opencl library or something needing installed? So far I've tried it on 2 machines and neither detect the GPU. Is there a logfile somewhere made by FAH I can check for errors? I was able to get FAHControl working by downloading it from that link, but I just can't get the GPU to detect. I really appreciate the help!

Edit - the log is right there so I found that at least, still trying to do some troubleshooting.

Edit 2 - I guess disregard this, but it was a somewhat absurd fix unless there's something I'm missing. I went into /etc/fahclient/config.xml and changed <gpu v='false'/> to <gpu v='true'/> and rebooted and it seems to be working.

Last edited:

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I appreciate the reply. I had downloaded the GPUs.txt file, but it still wasn't showing the GPU slot. The fix ended up being going into /etc/fahclient/config.xml and changing <gpu v='false'/> to <gpu v='true'/> and rebooting. I'm not sure why I needed to do that, though, and ended up having to do it across 4 machines, including one that was on Mint 19.I've never had to do that before but I haven't ran Folding@home for awhile so maybe it's something on a newer version or something. Either way, it all seems good now, and I even got it setup to where I can use FAHControl on my main machine to control the Folding client on the other machines, so I should be ready for the challenge with [H] that starts in a day or 2.

Reactions: Markfw

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
While you are at it, check that the passkey and team ID are still in this config file.
XML:
  <!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='********************************'/>
  <team v='198'/>
  <user v='******'/>

Reactions: Icecold

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Here's the latest way to get the most recent python 3 version of FAHControl for Mint 20 and ubuntu 20.04.

Open up a terminal.

Code:
sudo apt install -y python3-setuptools
git clone https://github.com/cdberkstresser/fah-control.git
cd fah-control
python3 setup.py build
./FAHControl