Fact check: First lady's false fairy tale of struggle

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Whenever people ask why I joined the Submarine Force, I explain to them basically what you just said...and that I did not want any part of it. :) They payed me extra tax payer money just for being at sea, can you believe it?

We deployed on inflatables a couple of times from subs and as much as I liked the ride, I much preferred the open air!

Ran across this bit of humor should you miss your time in the deep!

Suggestions for the ex-submariner that misses "the good old days on the boat":

1. Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a curtain. 6 hours after you go to sleep, have your wife whip open the curtain. shine a flashlight in your eyes, and mumble "Sorry, wrong rack".

2. Don't eat any food that you don't get out of a can or have to add water to.

3. Spend as much time as possible indoors and avoid sunlight. Hang out in such areas as dark theaters, windowless buildings, closets, etc.

4. Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of your bathtub and move the shower head down to chest level. When you take showers, make sure you shut off the water while soaping.

5. Repeat back everything anyone says to you.

6. Sit in your car for six hours a day with your hands on the wheel and the motor running, but don't go anywhere.

7. Put lube oil in your humidifier instead of water and set it to "High".

8. Don't watch T.V. except movies in the middle of the night. Also, have your family vote on which movie to watch, then show a different one.

9. Don't do your wash at home. Pick the most crowded laundromat you can find.

10. (Optional for Nukes and A-Div) Leave lawnmower running in your living room six hours a day for proper noise level.

11. Have the paperboy give you a haircut.

12. Take hourly readings on your electric and water meters.

13. Sleep with your dirty laundry.

14. Invite guests, but don't have enough food for them.

15 Buy a broken exercise bicycle and strap it down to the floor in your kitchen.

16. Buy a trash compactor and use it once a week. Store up garbage in the other side of your bathtub.

17. Wake up every night at midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on stale bread, if anything. (Optional--canned ravioli or cold soup)

18. Make up your family menu a week ahead of time without looking in your food cabinets or refrigerator.

19. Set your alarm clock to go off at random times during the night. When it goes off, jump out of bed and get dressed as fast as you can, then run out into your yard and break out the garden hose.

20. Once a month take every major appliance completely apart and then put them back together.

21. Use 18 scoops of coffee per pot and allow it to sit for 5 or 6 hours before drinking.

22. Invite at least 85 people you don't really like to come and visit for a couple of months.

23. Store your eggs in your garage for two months and then cook a dozen each morning.

24. Have a fluorescent lamp installed on the bottom of your coffee table and lie under it to read books.

25. Check your refrigerator compressor for "sound shorts".

26. Put a complicated lock on your basement door and wear the key on a lanyard around your neck.

27. Lockwire the lugnuts on your car.

28. When making cakes, prop up one side of the pan while it is baking. Then spread icing really thick on one side to level off the top.

29. Every so often, yell "Emergency Deep", run into the kitchen, and sweep all pots/pans/dishes off of the counter onto the floor. Then, yell at your wife for not having the place "stowed for sea".

30. Put on the headphones from your stereo (don't plug them in). Go and stand in front of your stove. Say (to nobody in particular) "Stove manned and ready". Stand there for 3 or 4 hours. Say (once again to nobody in particular) "Stove secured". Roll up the headphone cord and put them away.

31. Write a controlled work package to change the oil on your car.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ah, so you WERE trying to deflect. Shame on you.

let me spell it out for you: I didn't disagree with you about calling out someone for palcing assumption into what Mitt may or may have not done--but I also called you out for assuming the same damn BS.

It was pretty obvious, but perhaps the point must travel through a 1/4 inch of concrete for it to sink in for you...

again: what in god's holy fuck are you on about?

:confused:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I have read that list before...and it is all true! Though I have to say I liked most of the people on my boat.

I used to wake up to the sound of a fan slowing down...being an electrician on a sub means a loss of electricity is both my job to fix AND the death of all onboard. Now I sleep peacefully if the wife turns the fan off.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
let me spell it out for you: I didn't disagree with you about calling out someone for palcing assumption into what Mitt may or may have not done--but I also called you out for assuming the same damn BS.

It was pretty obvious, but perhaps the point must travel through a 1/4 inch of concrete for it to sink in for you...

Lets try again, this time use common sense.

Romney was in the draft lottery like everyone else. Since he could have simply stayed in France and not returned to the US, he obviously had no problem with being drafted.

If he was a draft dodger, he would have simply stayed in France. Since he returned to the US when his deferment ended, he is not a draft dodger.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Lets try again, this time use common sense.

Romney was in the draft lottery like everyone else. Since he could have simply stayed in France and not returned to the US, he obviously had no problem with being drafted.

If he was a draft dodger, he would have simply stayed in France. Since he returned to the US when his deferment ended, he is not a draft dodger.

I never called him a draft dodger, I called him a war hawk. He did antiprotests for the war during his freshman year. Then went on his mission his second year. I said it before and I will say it again, I find it hypocritical that he took a religious deferment and then 2 additional school deferments instead of enlisting or getting a commission. If you beat the war drums you should step up to the plate, he didn't and took deferments.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I never called him a draft dodger, I called him a war hawk.

Others like you are calling him that, I am simply exposing their idiocy. First exposed his idiocy quite nicely in his troll post.

He did antiprotests for the war during his freshman year. Then went on his mission his second year. I said it before and I will say it again, I find it hypocritical that he took a religious deferment and then 2 additional school deferments instead of enlisting or getting a commission. If you beat the war drums you should step up to the plate, he didn't and took deferments.

He did, you just are mad because he did not do it fast enough for your liking. He was in the draft pool just like everyone else.

In order for you to be right, he had to have not been in the draft pool. Since he was in the draft pool, you are wrong. He stepped up to the plate.

It really is not hard to see why you are failing here. But on to your "antiprotest for the war", you are really stretching it here. If we read an article about it, we actually find:

Carey Coulter was one of the demonstrators alongside Mr Romney that day. He told BuzzFeed.com: 'We were there to get an education and these people holding the administration hostage was antithetical to that.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-favour-Vietnam-War-draft.html#ixzz26mvKuL4e

He was even holding a sign which read "Speak Out Don't Sit In". What about that makes you think he was supporting the war instead of doing what the group claims they were doing?

The article does say a lot of misleading things, purposefully not putting in all the info needed to make informed decisions - but that is part and parcel with partisan hack pieces.

You also claimed he should abandon the commands of his god and do what you personally want him to do. That is dumb.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
First, do you ever get tired of being wrong? Just wondering, for you seem to thrive on it.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
LOL I guess that means you will never tire of being wrong. Thanks for at least being honest, even if it does mean you have to admit to being an idiot.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
:D and you keep doing it! Wow, I have never seen someone so insistent on being wrong before. How long before Obama offers you a job?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Ah, you are starting to learn. There is hope that one day you will learn enough to stop consistently being wrong.

Yes, quitters never lose...just like quitters never win. The concept is an easy one.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
I thought the returners wised up - seeing as there used to be several loonie returner created threads a day here. I see some of the loonie returners are still around, though slowly falling into the same obscurity as their brothers, the birthers.

Birthers are a little crazier than returners, but not by much.

I see you are still desperatly trying to push your usual false equivalence message!

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Wrong like this welching?

Get over it, your team and ideology is losing despite 8%+ unemployment. That's how shitty your team's track record is.

Yup, our little troll lies and welchs out on a bet, trying to get an actual good poster to leave, then when it falls through, he starts with the lies and ignores it. What a classy guy, I mean, fourm banning, multi-vacations here for trolling, years of trolling all over, lying about bets, what isn't classy about all of that?

Even spidey paid his bet, AFAIK. But cybrtroll just ignores his lies and moves on.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
False? Loonie birthers and loonie returners are cut from the same loonie cloth. Don't want to be lumped in with them, don't be one of them.

your false equivalency implies that there is conspiracy attached to Mitt's tax returns.

no one has ever implied such a thing. You create smoke where none exists. You fail to see very obvious distinctions in very clear issues. That is your modus operandi. We all know you are 98% troll, and likely only believe 2% of the shit you spew (well, one can only hope. It's rare that people are this daft)

(please: stop deflecting and answer my question, honestly)