"Fable PC: Lost Chapters" 30 hours of play - WORTH IT!!!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
lightening ... maxed out ... better than the bow for keeping baddies at a distance

slow time ... you get double damage

and the sword [or arrow] multipliers ...

oh, and "shield" ... you can *stand there* and let the End Bossses hit you with *everything* ... as long as you have blue manna potions you can stand there indefinitely

... and i ended up with well over 300 of each potion ... ALSO, if you have "healing" you can even forget the health potions

resurrection vials are nice ... i ended up with 9.

Trolls? ... "shield' "slow time" sword 'multiplier' ... just stand there and hit 'em with everything you got ... they may knock you down but you take no damage

-- that or just RUN around them
[if the quest allows it]

"Run Away ... "Run Away" ... ;)

:laugh:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: meltdown75
So what spells do you guys swear by? My favourite is Force Push. I can basically run through X number of baddies using force push and sometimes not even have to kill any of them.

I got the halo over my head even with using my melee and ranged weapons for sniping... someone earlier in the thread said you can only get it by using magic.

I love head-shotting the bad guys from far away and then pumping 4-5 arrows into one when they are alerted to your presence and start running for you...

Apoppin, what is your secret for fighting trolls? I just stay back and cast fireballs or lightning, dodging the rocks and then move in for the kill when they are at about 25% power, casting Time and hack-hack-flourish with my augmented melee weapon :) Come to think of it... I never even considered using my ranged weapons on one... hmm

I forgot my keybinds for spells, so I just said screw it and am going warrior exclusively. I could figure out what key does what, but I kind of like specializing. I have a stunning halo going, and a nice cloud of butterflys. Next time I play I'll go for total evil, and maybe I'll use magic then.

Edit: for trolls I get right up against them and hack away with my sword. I take the blows as they come, but since I've really built up my health and physique trolls don't do a terrible amount of damage to me.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Thanks guys :)

I will have to max out that lightning. So far my only master will skill is Push. I just love that one.

Last night I beat 2 rock trolls without taking a single hit. There is a pattern to their little tantrums... they throw 4 rocks which you can dodge by going left / right. Then you can move in and hack 3 times and flourish move twice. Then back off because they pound the ground. Rinse, wash, repeat... :p

Last night I just did a few side-quests... did a lot of fishing and searching chests that I didn't have time to while being attacked :)

I gave the Temple of Avo about 4000 gold... didn't really get rewarded much... the chicken kicking competition quest is still showing, even though I posted a perfect 500 last night... not sure what to do about those. I guess I *could* check out a "walkthrough" ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
**************SPOILERS FOLLOW******************

try 500,000 gold at the Avo temple ... 50,000 each ten times. :p
:Q

just like in real life, "forgiveness" isn't cheap :D

then you will get "youth" [7 years] and a new name and a cool weapon
[i *kept* melificus ... stings like a bee]

sacrifice 2 followers [twice] at *midnight* at the Evil Temple and you will get a new name, huge evil points, and the Bow of Skrom - maximum powerful bow ... and 7 years younger ... if you are playing as *good*, go to Avo LAST ... you will be forgiven

chicken kicking?!? ... keep kicking ... you get more [dininishing] rewards ... i don't think you "complete" it ... same with the archery contest ... [make sure you DON'T score well the first ten times or you won't be able to beat your hi score]

and fish every "ripple" ;)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Well, the first reward I got from the chicken kicking was a silver key and the second one was the chicken hat... I like wearing the chicken hat in battles :)

My scariness and attractiveness are both at +100 and my alignment is all the way over to the right (good) so I don't think I will sacrifice any followers... besides, I have my crossbow imbued with lightning and fire so I'm kind of attached to it now :)

I've definitely been fishing the ripples :)

Tonight I am going to work on opening all of the doors... or as many as I can...
One was opened simply by shooting an arrow at it... another that I recall I can open now since I'm married :)

Man... this game is fun.

After this I'm going to be playing Scarface. Haven't even installed it yet...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
**************SPOILERS GALORE**********

*definitely* sacrifice 4 followers ... Bow of Skrom is *worth* it [your crossbow is a *toy*] :p
:evil:

at *exactly* midnight for maximum 'effect' .. or you need to sacrifice even more followers tro get the bow ... and Big Evil Points ... 4 followers is a "medium" shift

they DO respawn ... pick the mercenary [not the good guy] if your "conscience" is bothering you :beer:
:roll:

:D

AFTER your alignment shifts 'a bit' to the "bad" ... then donate 500K Gold...

... and you're *good* to go.
:sun:

nope you gotta marry the b!tch mayor ... and you gotta be 'bad' to do that ... your door will stay *closed* Mr Goody Two Shoes

another Demon Door just offer a gift BEFORE you talk to it [2nd time you visit, obviously]
rose.gif

BtW, you don't 'need' lightening if you are an archer ;)

slow time and shield are a must ... with healing

you can max nearly *everything* if you find all the keys and beat the SQs - there is only *one* SQ you cannot do if you want to be good - Trader Massacre ... you become nearly 'god' and the End Bosses fall pretty easily.

and try and access the oracle AFTER you beat the MQ... tell me 'how'
:confused:

EDITED

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
dude how do I get that much gold? buying / reselling potions? tell me where.

i already dissed the bitch mayor and took over mayorship of the town... doh :Q

dammit. i need a sick day soon. :D

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

Only way to become the mayor is to marry the mayor and kill her?

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

Nope. I did the "investigating" quest about Lady Grey's sister and presented the evidence to the town sheriff... after that, every time I talked to him he asked me if I wanted to be mayor.

The first couple times I said no and then I said yes just for the heck of it. Now I am able to walk right into the mayor's (my) digs and poke around in her bedroom. There is a chest behind the bed but it takes 15 frickin' silver keys to open.

Of course, I have a house & wife at the other end of the town complete with my mounted Kraken tooth. It's cool how you can mount your trophies in your houses. That house is maxed out in terms of decorations and I married the barmaid.

Speaking of which... my high score for boasting is only 9 :eek:

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

Nope. I did the "investigating" quest about Lady Grey's sister and presented the evidence to the town sheriff... after that, every time I talked to him he asked me if I wanted to be mayor.

The first couple times I said no and then I said yes just for the heck of it. Now I am able to walk right into the mayor's (my) digs and poke around in her bedroom. There is a chest behind the bed but it takes 15 frickin' silver keys to open.

Of course, I have a house & wife at the other end of the town complete with my mounted Kraken tooth. It's cool how you can mount your trophies in your houses. That house is maxed out in terms of decorations and I married the barmaid.

Do you get to manage the town or just get a house?

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004

All I got is access to the mayoral manor. I'm going to play right now. (home from work)! :D

edit: I'll have to see if there are any other percs...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

All I got is access to the mayoral manor. I'm going to play right now. (home from work)! :D

edit: I'll have to see if there are any other percs...

First of all

i guess *forget saying Spoilers* ... no one ELSE cares :p

BUY cheap and SELL high

if the merchant only has a few potions they are as expensive as hell - if he as 100, they are cheap - so START with the merchant INSIDE the Guild and buy ALL his potions ..
-His inventory THEN is ZERO and he pays you a LOT more when he REbuys them from you ... Rinse and REPEAT - do it till you have enough cash ... he will also 'curse' you for your shrewdness.:cool:

Just make *sure* you are actually making a profit ... sometimes you get trapped into a losing cycle

as to the House ... it's for "show" ... you don't *do* anything there ... not even sex -
--just the goodies inside and you are mayor [more renown]

when you successfully Investigate the Mayor, she tells you she is leaving town but will "get you" - someday ... and you take her place as Mayor.

i think i got 22 for boasting .. that sure "shuts down" future boasting
:music:

--start "small" ... with small groups and 'work up' to a crowd ..

--and he got 4 wives ... including one "alternate" arrangement at age 61. :eek:
:shocked:

did i like this game?
--or what?
:heart:

i am SO looking forward to starting all over and being 100% evil
:moon:

really *BAD* ... IF i can get married, i plan to sacrifice my wives at the Temple when i tire of them.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Thanks for the money tips.

Last night I found the Darkwoods Bordello. I turned over the ownership and changed it into a house of refuge... only to find a door behind that requires you to engage in some "debauchery" in order to open it... lol

Last night I just did some SQs. I keep putting off the main quest because I don't want the game to suddenly come to a conclusion :p

The last main quest thing I did was break my Mom out of prison... now the quest is "Hook Coast" or something... do I have a lot of game left or is it pretty much done at that point? I'd like to know how much time I have left on the main story.

Just taking my time with this uber sweet game. I know it has its detractors but I have come to like it just for what it is... a pretty hack N slash RPG with some nice humour elements :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Last night I found the Darkwoods Bordello. I turned over the ownership and changed it into a house of refuge... only to find a door behind that requires you to engage in some "debauchery" in order to open it... lol

Last night I just did some SQs. I keep putting off the main quest because I don't want the game to suddenly come to a conclusion :p

The last main quest thing I did was break my Mom out of prison... now the quest is "Hook Coast" or something... do I have a lot of game left or is it pretty much done at that point? I'd like to know how much time I have left on the main story.

Just taking my time with this uber sweet game. I know it has its detractors but I have come to like it just for what it is... a pretty hack N slash RPG with some nice humour elements :)

Quite a bit

Hook Coast is hours long ... it is the Finale ... if you complete it you may not be able to finish the other [silver] quests

as to the DW Bordello DD, you need to have sex 10 times to open the door ;)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin

Quite a bit

Hook Coast is hours long ... it is the Finale ... if you complete it you may not be able to finish the other [silver] quests

as to the DW Bordello DD, you need to have sex 10 times to open the door ;)
Cool... thanks for the tip.

As for the bordello... apparently I'm not narty enough :D

edit: oh and this verifies it. the game is too short!

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
how many hours? so far
... i logged over 30

and that's before a replay
Hmm... I will have to check when I get home to be sure but I think I am at about 20 hours right now. I skipped some SQs in the earlier part of the game. I wish I would have done every inkling.

Now I'm going to explore everything 100% and make sure I at least get my lightning maxed out before I go to the Hook Coast.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
how many hours? so far
... i logged over 30

and that's before a replay
Hmm... I will have to check when I get home to be sure but I think I am at about 20 hours right now. I skipped some SQs in the earlier part of the game. I wish I would have done every inkling.

Now I'm going to explore everything 100% and make sure I at least get my lightning maxed out before I go to the Hook Coast.

so we're in the 'ballpark' :p

if you're an archer, lightening is not so important ... 'Slow time' and 'multiple strike' plus 'shield' should be maxed ... have lots of manna potions, your heaviest weapon and you're good to go

if you do *everything* as GOOD, i cannot see anyone finishing it in less then 25 hours
--withOUT a walkthru in hand :)

having sex takes a lot of time in the beginning - to find what gets your partner 'in the mood'
rose.gif
:gift::clock::moon::gift::heart::lips:
[^in that approximate order ^]

... so i *wasted* a few hours :eek:
:Q

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
All done. Finished last night. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a little more game left after I had beaten Jack in human form.

Finished up with Avo's Tear sword, Holy Warrior helmet and the rest bright plate armor. I didn't find enough silver key's to get Avo's armor or whatever (25-key chest).

Basically I stockpiled potions like you said and was pretty much invincible. Not to mention I would smash through enemies like they were brittle bones of crap. Usually I would cast Defense Shield, then Battle Rage and Multi-Strike (all mastered). Not much can mess you up if you use that combo. I was hitting guys for 600 and my flourish hits were even worse. Mastered all of the physical traits too. :) :thumbsup:

Great game, looking forward to a sequel.

edit: oh yeah, i think i finished with about 25 hours but easily could have put in several more if i would have went for more keys and been more "narty". Only had 4 beers the entire game, and sex 7-8 times :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
All done. Finished last night. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a little more game left after I had beaten Jack in human form.

Finished up with Avo's Tear sword, Holy Warrior helmet and the rest bright plate armor. I didn't find enough silver key's to get Avo's armor or whatever (25-key chest).

Basically I stockpiled potions like you said and was pretty much invincible. Not to mention I would smash through enemies like they were brittle bones of crap. Usually I would cast Defense Shield, then Battle Rage and Multi-Strike (all mastered). Not much can mess you up if you use that combo. I was hitting guys for 600 and my flourish hits were even worse. Mastered all of the physical traits too. :) :thumbsup:

Great game, looking forward to a sequel.

edit: oh yeah, i think i finished with about 25 hours but easily could have put in several more if i would have went for more keys and been more "narty". Only had 4 beers the entire game, and sex 7-8 times :p

Yeah, Fable II ...

look around the net ... in development ... same originator

and the part after defeating JoB are the "Lost Chapters" not on Xbox.

in the Sequel the, anti-hero should be the wicked cousin, Jack Cass ;)
:D

i am studying the manual for "redemption" and am starting over in Fable as *Bad* ... in understand the whole world "changes" and NPCs react to you very differently ;)

even the SQs change slightly and after you complete the MQ, you obviously won't have to find the bad sword's good twin ... since you will have it with a little of Sis' blood on it

and *this time* i can get all 25 keys ... i didn't marry the evil b!tch Mayor so i 'lost' one. :(
ah, the price of being 'good'
rose.gif

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Fable II will have have a secret weapon
.. Peter Molyneux..... [is]going to use a secret weapon, love. And a dog. Together.

There are the usual improvements, the shinier, bigger, and better everything, after all the box has to have a list of these things, people expect that. Guns, more weapons, more clothes, more magic, a bigger and more detailed world, free roaming, and more creatures. All things that make the back of the box, but nothing that can be considered innovative.

So, instead of the usual boring stuff, Molyneux decided to make the secret weapon for the new game love, but I can't say it like he did. He said "Luuuuuuuuuuv" and almost swooned at the audience. You can find a person, fall in love, get hitched and have kids. Your kids will look like you, greet you at the door after a long day of adventuring and ask you about the things you did.

If you are a good character, your kid will be a good little squirt. If you are evil and slay innocent villages by the score, you kid will grow up to be a maladjusted little twit who gets into fights at school. What more could you ask for?

Well, Peter Molyneux thinks dog love is the answer to that question. OK, that sounded really bad, how about a dog that you love? A faithful companion who will throw his life down to save yours, guard you, point out the path to follow and generally be an all around asset to your adventuring.

Screenshots screenshots

He is trying to make a companion that does not get in your way and that you have feelings for. You should want to love it and care for it in sappy detail. You can buy it toys, throw a squeaky ball that will drive game testers absolutely mad, and possibly even those stupid emasculating sweaters if you hate the thing.

The dog is a plot device also, if you are wandering off the beaten path, it will point you in the right direction. It also functions as an early warning system to growl at critters around the corner that you can't see yet. The point is to have it be unobtrusive and functional.

The three rules of Fable II dog(s) are to "Not piss you off", love you unquestionably, and you not having any direct control of it. The indirectness, like your kids, extends to it's personality too. If you are good, it will be a nice dog. If you are evil, it is a mangy critter that you would not like to have around in real life.

One thing the dog will do is to attack your enemies. It will do so intelligently and pick targets to keep you safe. In general, the dog will lay down it's life for you and can be hurt. You can't really see it below, but when the dog takes damage, it whines and limps back to you.

Screenshot

Judging from the audience going "Awwwww" when that happened after a 30 minute speech, they felt for the dog. Looks like dog love is part of Fable II. If you are a good character, you can heal your faithful friend, but if you are evil, you can just leave it bleeding there.

The love part comes in on the evil side later on. If you leave said faithful companion limping, bleeding and crying, it will come back and find you. Later on in the game, you will be sitting in a pub, and up it will come, crying, limping and bleeding, scratching at the door until it gets let in. Then the pub patrons will turn on you for being such a bastard.

If the audience reaction is anything like the real world, Peter Molyneux has done his job. Fable II will have dog love, and it will pull at your heart strings.

looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
... last update ... i just got a new 14x9 WS monitor last night and stayed up LATE playing Fable: LC as *bad* ...

[in the last month i got a x1950p-512M/850w OCZ/P4 3.4EE/a new HFS today ... i am *broke* ... BUT ...]

Fable: LC is *beautiful* in WS
rose.gif

[4xAA/8xAA 'all details' maxed]
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

looking forward to Fable II 'lovin'

woof
:cookie:

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Ahh, Peter Molyneux , the king of hype. He needs to give me the original syndicate with updated graphics.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
But Petie M does give us lovable if somewhat flawed games ... B&W2 - after the patching - was superb imo

and worth several replays

anyway this Fable looks *awesome* in WS